I am acquiring a McIntosh MX113 Tuner/Preamp to drive my...

JohnKuthe

...McIntosh MC-2105 Power Amp driving my La Scalas, my Heresies and my JBL Control X weather resistant outdoor speakers, all switchable through my ADCOM 3 way speaker switch!

Here's the Craigslist AD for the preamp:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/ballwin-mcintosh-mx113-stereo-am-fm/6888413188.html

:-)

Finally, I'll have a Stereo version, more powerful version of my Daddy's Mono Record playing system I FAILED TO GROW UP WITH! He had a Pickering Turntable, a Mono McIntosh Preamp, and a Mono 20 watt Tube McIntosh amp into a 15" Altec Lansing speaker!! And that was the audio system I FAILED TO GROW UP WITH!

I'm gonna miss having more RCA line level inputs, like for my CD player, etc. But I will adapt! Any suggestions always helpful.

John  Kuthe...

• Like 1

Definitely the AUX input is just a line level input(after phono preamps but before tone/volume controls). No problem plugging your CD player into it. The TAPE input may also be the same.

I sure you will love it as long as it is fully functional. Enjoy!

• Like 1

You have will have two line level inputs (tape and Aux), and you can use the tape monitor input for a third line level input. Or use a small external mixer with multiple inputs for extra line level sources and plug that into the Aux input. Denon makes a one U rackmount with 12 inputs for $179.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DN-312X--denon-dn-312x-rackmount-mic-line-mixer

Of course, it's made in China... get one before the price goes up.

Musicians Friend has it for $149. ART makes an eight input stereo model (which may work better) for $185. There are lots of choices available.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-mx822-8-channel-stereo-mixer/j13726000000000?pfm=item_page.rrCompare|CategorySiloedViewCP

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marvel said:

You have will have two line level inputs (tape and Aux), and you can use the tape monitor input for a third line level input. Or use a small external mixer with multiple inputs for extra line level sources and plug that into the Aux input. Denon makes a one U rackmount with 12 inputs for $179.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DN-312X--denon-dn-312x-rackmount-mic-line-mixer

Of course, it's made in China... get one before the price goes up.

Musicians Friend has it for $149. ART makes an eight input stereo model (which may work better) for $185. There are lots of choices available.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-mx822-8-channel-stereo-mixer/j13726000000000?pfm=item_page.rrCompare|CategorySiloedViewCP

Beautiful!! I KNEW there'd be a Line Level Multi to One Stereo RCA or other solution!! 1/4 Mono to RCAs are easy! 1/4 plug-in to RCA out!

Thank you!!

John Kuthe...

19 minutes ago, babadono said:

Seems a shame to degrade the MAC equipment with some cheezeball mixer.

Just giving him options... Some of those are high quality cheese...

• Like 1

Just purchased the MX113 and took it straight to Alpha Tech and traded them that Toshiba Tuner for a priority job on my McIntosh MX113 Preamp and Tuner, putting rubber feet on it and lubing the Input Buttons! And just generally going through it and making sure everything works optimally! :-)

John Kuthe...

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 2:46 PM, JohnKuthe said:

Just purchased the MX113 and took it straight to Alpha Tech and traded them that Toshiba Tuner for a priority job on my McIntosh MX331 Preamp and Tuner, putting rubber feet on it and lubing the Input Buttons! And just generally going through it and making sure everything works optimally! :-)

John Kuthe...

And I got a voicemail from AlphaTech that my McIntosh Preamp has been lubed up, checked for operation, properly FOOTED and is available for pickup, NC!

I am a VERY good customer! :-) I GAVE them a Toshiba tuner that were working on for me!  :-)

John Kuthe...

On 5/17/2019 at 7:03 PM, JohnKuthe said:

And I got a voicemail from AlphaTech that my McIntosh Preamp has been lubed up, checked for operation, properly FOOTED and is available for pickup, NC!

I am a VERY good customer! :-) I GAVE them a Toshiba tuner that were working on for me!  :-)

John Kuthe...

Tomorrow!! A McIntosh MX113 Preamp+TUNER!! Get rid of the Technics Integrated Amp's Preamp section!!

Put a McIntosh Preamp ahead of my McIntosh MC2105 POWER AMP!! Treat those La Scalas and Heresies RIGHT! The JBL Control X-s too!

John Kuthe...

19 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

Tomorrow!! A McIntosh MX113 Preamp+TUNER!! Get rid of the Technics Integrated Amp's Preamp section!!

Put a McIntosh Preamp ahead of my McIntosh MC2105 POWER AMP!! Treat those La Scalas and Heresies RIGHT! The JBL Control X-s too!

John Kuthe...

Got it!!

AlphaTech put WHITE FEET on my MX113! Tall enough, JUST!

No pics yet! Computer shop still has my PC hostage! And my MacinTRASH is NOT Android Friendly!! POS MacinTRASH! Computers! They SUCK!

Not McIntosh audio gear though! :-)

John Kuthe...

20 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

Got it!!

AlphaTech put WHITE FEET on my MX113! Tall enough, JUST!

No pics yet! Computer shop still has my PC hostage! And my MacinTRASH is NOT Android Friendly!! POS MacinTRASH! Computers! They SUCK!

Not McIntosh audio gear though! :-)

John Kuthe...

And I THINK I have the MX113 hooked up OK Wish I had a good GND! But then I wish I had help from my old Carpenter buddy, but looks like a LAWSUIT is the only way to get his ATTENTION!! After all I lent him $26,500 for a worthless house I assumed he owned! 😞

😞

John Kuthe...

22 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

And I THINK I have the MX113 hooked up OK Wish I had a good GND! But then I wish I had help from my old Carpenter buddy, but looks like a LAWSUIT is the only way to get his ATTENTION!! After all I lent him $26,500 for a worthless house I assumed he owned! 😞

😞

John Kuthe...

Had a slight heart attack last evening with my system! After changing out my La Scala's crossovers I was apparently getting a "not plugged in" error!! Bad, bad bad!! So I decided to shut everything down and look at the problem with a fresh set of morning eyes! Source of Error FOUND!! (I;m rebuilding my system again!) Switched to my CD player as my Input device, and IT ROCKS!! Again, this AM!!!

John Kuthe...

On 5/14/2019 at 10:12 PM, JohnKuthe said:

...McIntosh MC-2105 Power Amp driving my La Scalas, my Heresies and my JBL Control X weather resistant outdoor speakers, all switchable through my ADCOM 3 way speaker switch!

Here's the Craigslist AD for the preamp:

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/ele/d/ballwin-mcintosh-mx113-stereo-am-fm/6888413188.html

Finally, I'll have a Stereo version, more powerful version of my Daddy's Mono Record playing system I FAILED TO GROW UP WITH! He had a Pickering Turntable, a Mono McIntosh Preamp, and a Mono 20 watt Tube McIntosh amp into a 15" Altec Lansing speaker!! And that was the audio system I FAILED TO GROW UP WITH!

I'm gonna miss having more RCA line level inputs, like for my CD player, etc. But I will adapt! Any suggestions always helpful.

John  Kuthe...

Another question?

AM vs FM antennas for the tuner. The AM antenna connectors on the back of the MX113 are very clearly marked as one GND/black and one NOT/white! But on the FM both are simply RED!  

Is one RED FM antenna connector the GND corresponding to the shield and the other to the pin of a Coaxial FM antenna? There are NO polarity markers on the MX113 that I can see! Just 2 red push- to-attach antenna wires?

Help please?

John Kuthe...