Center channel for Forte III

DTO

I currently have an Academy with Crites tweeters and replacement crossover, thanks @314carpenter! A great, not little, speaker that blended with my heresy ii and quartets. I recently plugged in a pair of Forte iiis in place of the quartets and, alas, the academy still sounds good, but this addiction runs deep and I wonder what would be even better. In a perfect world I would love to use another forte for a matching L/C/R or, even better, there was an updated three way horn loaded klipsch center channel. My basement has low ceilings so the forte is out and a new klipsch center is a unicorn. That brings me to the original klipsch center channels, the heresy and Cornwall. Does anyone have experience using a single Heresy III as a center for the Forte III ? The other option would be a Cornwall on it’s side. Would it being on its side throw of the dispersion patterns of the horns and would it play well with the fortes? The front ports make it easier to integrate into the room. Thanks for reading and sharing your knowledge!  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Use a Heresy II with my La Scala Fronts, Heresy II (2 pair) as Surround, & Surround Back.

Hey, where have been brother?  I haven't seen you post for a while. Welcome back.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Frzninvt said:

The obvious and best choice since Klipsch truly does not have a matching center for the III would be a third Forte' III.

I wish I could fit another forte!

2 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Use a Heresy II with my La Scala Fronts, Heresy II (2 pair) as Surround, & Surround Back.

HIII should turn the trick; Cornwall even better.

I want to pull the trigger on a Cornwall but if it doesn’t work well on its side I’d be stuck with an orphan single speaker. 

What about a vertical Cornwall turned on its side? Never tried that myself, but in theory it may work in your situation. Worth a search in the old threads here. Not sure how well the blend would be with Forte III mains though. May need to modify some of the internals of the vertical Cornwall to suit. I think one orphan vertical Cornwall just sold in Milwaukee for $500.

• Moderators

I am kind of the same boat, 2 Forte lll's for mains with a Forte ll as a center. One day I will get another Flll for the center, just looking for a great deal to come along.

And 3 Forte ll's across the rear before it was all Fll's all around.

It does sound really good now but one day I switched the Fll center for one of the mains, the Flll made a great center and easier for me to understand the dialog. So I will not be completely happy until it's a perfect match across the front.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

What about a vertical Cornwall turned on its side? Never tried that myself, but in theory it may work in your situation.

For years because of the entertainment cabinet I use a Fll on its side, honestly couldn't hear a difference from it standing up. 

1 hour ago, dtel said:

For years because of the entertainment cabinet I use a Fll on its side, honestly couldn't hear a difference from it standing up. 

Yeah, the horizontal forte II worked for me for a while too. My room is sort of long, narrow, and tall so the orientation of the horn worked in my situation. I was afraid with the OP having a low ceiling the horn orientation may be more of a challenge. 

So @dtel it sounds like you now have FIII mains and 4 FII's running in a 6 channel setup? If so, my theater room is setup that way, only I use JBL's in that room, but is similar in how I have (2) 250Ti mains and (4) 240Ti's for the remainder of the 6 channels.

My living room is now set up with 5 Chorus II's. I solved the problem of the center channel by building my own audio racks which allow for the proper placement of the Chorus II center speaker. Let me know if you like my audio racks. If you ever feel a need for a change in audio furniture I could provide details on the build.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/183486-klipsch-chorus-ii-walnut-oil-1100-fox-river-grove-il/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-2380423

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I've asked the powers that be at Klipsch to make a matching horizontal Heritage center channel, hopefully they will someday.  

Klipsch, please take my money!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

have (2) 250Ti mains

They are cool looking, but I have never heard that model. 

20 hours ago, 314carpenter said:

My living room is now set up with 5 Chorus II's. I solved the problem of the center channel by building my own audio racks which allow for the proper placement of the Chorus II center speaker. Let me know if you like my audio racks. If you ever feel a need for a change in audio furniture I could provide details on the build.

5 Chorus ll's would definitely work great.

I have always like those kinds of racks, I just don't have room since the 2 ch is in the same room. The sub is shared by both HT and 2 ch and is in the middle and on the large side of all subs. Electronics sit on the sub, not best I know but it works fine. The center channel stands in front of the sub, it works fine because it is balanced for where it is and volume matches the mains and rears. Perfect positioning, no, but works great anyway.

The room is 24' wide and 18' deep to the seating, and open another 16' behind that.

It's an addiction what can I say.

13 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I've asked the powers that be at Klipsch to make a matching horizontal Heritage center channel, hopefully they will someday.  

That would be nice, especially if can handle being a center for a couple of different Heritage models.

• Like 1

Before buying I actually called Klipsch customer support for exact measurements without riser to make sure it would fit and still be able to put a fan on top of receiver below the Heresy. He puts me on hold for a few minutes then came back and reads off some measurements. He took a tape measure and did it himself!  

Awesome customer support!

And one more picture showing off drivers. 

image.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/16/2019 at 1:25 AM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

How does one pile on the suggestion at Klipsch? This would be ideal from my viewpoint. I am currently using an RC-35 between a pair of Forte III's. I have thought of using a Heresy III center, but that would mean replacing or rebuilding cabinetry (to use it vertically). It seems like the RC-64ii is the best horizontal layout replacement for the RC-35 now, but I am concerned about what kind of match it would be to the Forte's. I would definitely have a hard time holding on to my wallet if they offered a horn-loaded heritage horizontal center.

^ "Heresy III fits in my IKEA console like it was custom made for it." Wow, that is remarkable–very, very nice. Not just the fit, but the height of the drivers. Klipsch dealers might sell more Heresy center channels if they also offered the IKEA cabinet... Man, that would sell!