Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
MisterVego

Jubes / 1502 No Bass below 30hz

Recommended Posts

Yes it just seemed to make sense to me, Mike has been measuring his speakers since he got them and he was the first to get Jubes. Chris has also done alot of measuring and has helped many here get through working on their rooms. They know what they're doing............100 times more than me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@MisterVego Are you trying to get the 1502 to dig a little deeper? @AHall has been doing port plugging tests on his 1802 to try and get it to go a little lower. Don't know if you've seen his thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, babadono said:

@MisterVego Are you trying to get the 1502 to dig a little deeper? @AHall has been doing port plugging tests on his 1802 to try and get it to go a little lower. Don't know if you've seen his thread.

 

Erik is a friend of mine thanks to the Jubilee community. We have been brainstorming some ideas including the port closure. He’s much more knowledgeable than I am on most of this stuff. With the help of the experts on here I’m certain he will resolve this. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not designed to have much if any useable output below 30Hz it's a theater subwoofer.  If you want solid output below 30Hz you need another subwoofer that is solidly capable of it without having to alter it.  I am sure it will pound your chest in the 40 to 60Hz range though it's just not going to give you the octaves below that though.  I run Velodyne HGS-18's which are far smaller and dig far deeper albeit with less overall output but that is what the La Scala's, Cornwall's, and four Heresy HIP's are for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frzninvt said:

It is not designed to have much if any useable output below 30Hz it's a theater subwoofer.  If you want solid output below 30Hz you need another subwoofer that is solidly capable of it without having to alter it.  I am sure it will pound your chest in the 40 to 60Hz range though it's just not going to give you the octaves below that though.  I run Velodyne HGS-18's which are far smaller and dig far deeper albeit with less overall output but that is what the La Scala's, Cornwall's, and four Heresy HIP's are for.

Are you sure about that?    Quote from Mr. Bonehead himself when doing research on this sub... :

"If you have room for them, the 1502 will take you below 20 hz and will match the clean bass of the jub lf.  I think the 1502 will shock you."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see anything wrong with the very first sweep. It was good to the mid 20s. That will loosen drywall in time

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, babadono said:

@MisterVego Are you trying to get the 1502 to dig a little deeper? @AHall has been doing port plugging tests on his 1802 to try and get it to go a little lower. Don't know if you've seen his thread.

@babadono    Not trying to dig deeper than designed.  Just trying to get a flatter respond down to 20hz.   I don't think I'm being  greedy  since i have been told that the sub is capable of a sub 20hz response..

 

As @AHall has mentioned we are friends and have been discussing the issues i am having.   His 1802 is capable of digging down to 20hz before his port mod.  I am not interested in modifying my sub in any way.  Just trying to determine if this is a PEQ issue or if its a modal issue in my room.  Since the 1502 is a rare beast and the 1802 is only in a few residential  environments I'm optimistic that the help of the experts in this forum can help me resolve the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I didn't see anything wrong with the very first sweep. It was good to the mid 20s. That will loosen drywall in time

@mark1101 not going to disagree with you however, just trying to have it a little smoother down to 20hz.

 

Its pretty impressive how the sub flexes the walls in my dedicated room which build with double layered 5/8" drywall..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MisterVego said:

I'm optimistic that the help of the experts in this forum can help me resolve the issue.

Roger.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MisterVego said:

"If you have room for them, the 1502 will take you below 20 hz and will match the clean bass of the jub lf.  I think the 1502 will shock you."

True, it was rated around 20 and that was halfspace, put it in a room and it goes into the teens, easily if you block another port.

Not your average theater sub,  the 1802 which is the same design is patented as the first vented horn loaded sub ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dtel said:

True, it was rated around 20 and that was halfspace, put it in a room and it goes into the teens, easily if you block another port. 

 

This is the response at the seating position I’m currently getting. And the peq to achieve it. I run my LFE crossover for movies at 120hz, hence the need for higher flatness. 

 

u2HVLVD.jpg

 

LibGZ7t.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MisterVego said:

Its pretty impressive how the sub flexes the walls in my dedicated room which build with double layered 5/8" drywall..

 

SPF 2 x 4s with the core of the stem and 4 year's growth at work for you there...  Likely where your bass is disappearing most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been doing some testing the last couple of nights.

 

It seems as if you need to be at least  4m away from the subwoofer to get a respond in the 20's  with out any PEQ boosting.

 

While you can get a flat response down to 20hz at my listening position ( about 60" in front of the sub.  Sub is behind me) A significant amount of boosting and attenuation is needed.  When doing this the result is less overall SPL.... 

 

So horn loaded vented subs need a significant amount of volume / distance for them to fully open up?    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd think they produce the sound or they don't - with your head right at the mouth or 100 yards away.  Seems you're sitting in a null brought on by an unfortunate combination of positioning in relation to the room dimensions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, MisterVego said:

I've been doing some testing the last couple of nights.

 

It seems as if you need to be at least  4m away from the subwoofer to get a respond in the 20's  with out any PEQ boosting.

 

While you can get a flat response down to 20hz at my listening position ( about 60" in front of the sub.  Sub is behind me) A significant amount of boosting and attenuation is needed.  When doing this the result is less overall SPL.... 

 

So horn loaded vented subs need a significant amount of volume / distance for them to fully open up?    

 

Question:  If a person were standing in front of the sub on the ground outside with no reflection from near by structures would distance from the sub matter..?  

 

miketn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

 

Question:  If a person were standing in front of the sub on the ground outside with no reflection from near by structures would distance from the sub matter..?  

 

miketn

I would say no since there are no reflections for the sound waves to bounce back creating a null?

 

Mike, as you know I am still learning the fundamentals when it comes to this stuff...     I guess what i'm finding is that it is my room causing the sub from producing its full potential?  Seems like this room is limited by a natural 30hz freq....  maybe a little more with boosting and then a little more due to room gain once i get around 4m from the speaker?

 

Mind you, i am not complaining or trying to get into the single digit / teens with a response, I am just trying to understand whats going on here and calm some of my OCD thinking i'm doing something wrong.

 

-e

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erik I understand and here is a couple of thoughts for you to try if you haven’t already. 🙂

 

If you still have the 32hz peq boost on the Jubilee try bypassing it and see what happens.

 

I would also experiment with rolling the Jubilee off in the region that you are using the 1502 to see how that changes the response at the Listening position.

 

miketn

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Erik you will probably need to readjust your Sub settings when you change the Jub settings I have suggested you try.

 

If the suggestions lowers the peaks in the 30hz region then I would try to rebalance the Sub by turning up the sub channel level from the xilica and use more cuts than boost peqs or possible shelves adjustments.

 

miketn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Erik I understand and here is a couple of thoughts for you to try if you haven’t already. 🙂

 

If you still have the 32hz peq boost on the Jubilee try bypassing it and see what happens.

 

I would also experiment with rolling the Jubilee off in the region that you are using the 1502 to see how that changes the response at the Listening position.

 

miketn

 

Just now, mikebse2a3 said:

Erik you will probably need to readjust your Sub settings when you change the Jub settings I have suggested you try.

 

If the suggestions lowers the peaks in the 30hz region then I would try to rebalance the Sub by turning up the sub channel level from the xilica and use more cuts than boost peqs or possible shelves adjustments.

 

miketn

Mike,

 I will try doing  both of your suggestions.  It'll be interesting to see what changes.

 

However.   With my recent tests.   I have not been activating the Jubes.   The sweeps and test have been with the sub only.

 

From what Chris mentioned in Adams thread, it seems as if my room has a transition frequency of 29hz....   This is seems to coincide with the 30hz drop i'm seeing in the raw data @ listening position.      

 

When running the sweep (sub only) 4m/13'' from the face of the sub, that dip from 30hz moved down to the low to mid 20hz region.     Is this essentially what people describe as room gain?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wavelength of a 20Hz sound wave is 17 meters. So 4 meters is approx. a quarter wavelength. Just sayin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...