Need Help with Ubuntu on XPS13 Dev. Ed.

JohnA

OS is Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, installed by Dell.

Several weeks ago I got some updates from Dell as well as Ubuntu that disabled both my wifi and external mouse.  I finally discovered it was 

synaptic-i2c-hid-3.13.0-32-backport driver in DKMS format

for the mouse and a similar driver for the Broadcom wifi card it once had.  I changed the Broadcom for an Intel to get native compatibility for a future LTS OS upgrade.  Disabling the i2c/DKMS wifi driver restores my wifi.  This laptop has no ethernet capability.  

If I enable the i2c hid driver, my touchpad (hated, but necessary) works, but no USB mouse will work.  If I disable it USB mice work and the touchpad doesn't.  Yet it will activate the keypad backlights if I touch it. 

I put messages out on the Ubuntu and Dell forums and have received no replies. 

Can you help me restore my touchpad function? 

So,  upgrading to 16.04 did it and eliminated the Dell "updates" that broke it in the first place.  Not satisfied, I continued to 18.04 and wow!  THAT is a big Change.  No more menu bars.  No more Unity, that I did not like but had become accustomed to.  Spent all last night on upgrades and this evening on sizing fonts and icons and settings so its easier to use.  1910 x 1080 on a 13" screen gives minute fonts my readers can't clarify! 

It seems just as snappy and so far everything works but MacSlow's Cairo Clock.  :-/ 

• Like 1