The Klipsch Audio Community
PeteVoxx

396s box build & modify

Looking to build a better and more aesthetically pleasing box for my 396s.  I’d like to build something proportionately similar to the Forte IIIs and use a passive radiator from Parts Express in hopes to also get them to dig much deeper.  What are your thoughts and suggestions?  Thanks, everyone!!

Nah - that 510 horn with 2” throat is something special and I don’t want to part with it 👍🏻

Making them prettier can be done fairly easy. They weren't designed to be pretty.

Making them sound better, is the hard part. They were designed to sound good and by some pretty smart people. The port they have in there already, probably gives you as much extension in the low end as you are going to get. A passive radiator is basically the same thing. You would have to eliminate the port for the passive to work. One step up, one step back.

Build three nice cabinets, put a subwoofer in one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A larger space like The Chorus may be more appropriate for The build.  Choice then between the one and two models. PR some prefer to ported. Enjoy...

2 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Build three nice cabinets, put a subwoofer in one

Good idea. 396's with a sub would be amazing, there a great speaker. imo

The 396 is not just thrown together if a passive would have increased low-end performance anything worthwhile, it probably would have come with one instead of ports. Size is also not just a guess, start changing a few things and I would bet performance goes downhill pretty quick.

To see the many changes and a bunch of prototypes tested changed and tested again repeatedly to finally come out with a speaker that's the best combination of certain parts and cabinet size for best performance is quite surprising, it's a long process.

I was quite surprised to see the many changes including drivers, this is where the Anechoic chamber and test equipment and of course experience are priceless.

• Like 3

I'm not trying to discourage you but the opposite, maby save you money and alot of trouble.