Klipschorn suggested room placement

So I was reading a post here from a guy that was selling his Khorns and he commented that his current room in his new home would not accommodate the Khorns. He went on to say the corner spacing was 13 or 14 feet and at that distance they would not sound good at all!!....Yet I have seen some rooms that look like they are in the 11-14 feet range and have not heard negative comments regarding this....SO...What say you Khorn owners.....Will a room width of 12-14 feet provide the best sound that Khorns are capable of or do they need room width of 19ft??.. plus?

Here is a quote from the seller:   "I know I will miss them a lot but the reality is I will not have 2 corners far enough apart. I found 2 perfect corners but they are only 13ft apart and I have tried that distance before and to me you really need about 19 feet for the Khorns to sound their best. "

Cheers

Edited by Don McPhee

• Moderators

I think he has a different reason, only because that one does not make sense. The room width is not terribly important as is the speakers are pointing in the right direction.

Even if his seating position is way off with the room width it's not hard to add backs to the Khorns to toe them out a little, his loss. Adding backs are not hard it's added to the outsides, no changes to the structure of the design.

I say get them if it's a good deal.

I used to have them in a room just under 12 feet wide.  They sounded great from the sweet spot 9 feet from the intertweeter line, but that sweet spot was only one person wide.  Three people could be there, cheek by jowl, and get excellent sound in all respects except imaging, which was good only for the center person.

My current room is 16.75 feet wide, and they are great in all respects.

Will a room width of 12-14 feet provide the best sound that Khorns are capable of or do they need room width of 19ft??.. plus?

No and no.

I don't think they will sound their "best" in a 12 ft. wide room. Probably still sound pretty good though. My room is about 15.5 ft wide and for me personally, I wouldn't want to go much smaller than that.

As for the 19 ft. width, I think you are dangerously close to needing a center channel in a room that wide. And that is something I would never want to do.

Shakey

K-Horns will sound good in any room, but usually better on a long wall. More importantly is how far back you sit from them. The closer you come to a perfect triangle the better the imagining can be. A lot of people say that K-Horns aren't good for up close listening, but that's not true either.

"Sound good" is pretty subjective.  Because of the different path !lengths of the tweeter and squawker, some distance is required to get the sound to be optimum.  Or you can move the tweeter to the top rear of the top hat.  Either way, I'm sure they will sound great.  I was first bitten by Klipschorns at Audio Systems in Nashville and they could not have been more than 14' apart.  

7 hours ago, scott0527 said:

That's goofy, look at the Klipschorn website page right here on klipsch.com. They're showing them about 10-12 feet apart. Although attached below is my "ideal" set up. Mix me a manhattan, light up a cigar and invite the ladies over.

Wall of Sound.jpg

Unless the guy standing in the center is less than 2’ tall, those Khorns are at least 25’ apart.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2019 at 9:25 PM, DizRotus said:

Unless the guy standing in the center is less than 2’ tall, those Khorns are at least 25’ apart.

They are but he's got that Cornwall to fill in the hole. I'm still looking for some those skinny girls though. These two seem thoroughly bored to death with those guys.

• Like 2