SOLD: Danley SH50s

onthefenceman

So, after hearing all the hype about Danley SH50s, I found a second-hand pair last month and bought them sight unseen. I presume the previous owner bought them from a church, because I found an expired classified ad indicating as much. He got as far as sanding off most of the old white paint and had planned to re-spray the outside black, but I purchased them as-is with a patchy white paint job with newly-installed black grilles.

They arrived earlier this month, and they look WAY bigger than the dimensions led me to believe. Day 3 in our living room and I received the veto from my wife. I'm into these for $3800, and that's what I'd like to get back out of them. I'm in the SF Bay Area, about 30 minutes South from SFO airport.

These are currently connected to an NAD M10 integrated and prospective buyers are welcome to audition.

• Like 2

I should also mention that I'm still in search of a pair of high-efficiency horns with _slightly_ higher WAF than these, and preferably a shorter depth. I'd be particularly interested in something from the JBL K2 or 43xx series, or potentially something with a TAD 4001/4002/4003 horn. Happy to trade up or down.

I also have a Genelec 7073 that I was going to use with these that I may end up selling.

They sound pretty awesome. The really impressive piece is the dynamic range and frequency extension. It’s really only the bottom octave that is missing, and I don’t miss it much. They’re also just loafing about with a watt or two of class D amplification. I had to set the software upper limit on my amp to -20dB to avoid launching myself over the neighbor’s fence if the streaming app resets to full volume. 

Imaging obviously suffers when I have them angled up like stage monitors, but if you’re willing to sit on the floor you get the sense of how well they would image when setup properly. If I kept these in the long run I’d  be looking for a stand manufacturer building something beefy and audiophile-like for these. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, Audio Flynn said:

Yikes! Some guys downplay WAF. I do so at my own peril after 36 years of an occasional poor choice.

Good luck in the sale.

I've skirted it from time to time. Something like these can surely be a shock to the senses when you've had a considerably smaller footprint beforehand. The key is the long play and to incrementally increase footprint so that something like these aren't nearly that big compared to what they're replacing. For me, it was in-wall's > RF-5's > Cornwalls (veto'd) > KP-201's on stands > La Scalas with TH-SPUD clones behind them. A big TV helps too, so that everything seems proportionate.

I bet if OP sits on these for a few weeks "without any luck of selling" the WAF may have adjusted and he can continue as planned. :D

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 10:08 AM, Shiva said:

A dimmer room and painted black, might diminish their visual footprint.  I like the idea of subs for stands too.

Actually, that is a video of my room taken by Forum member Quiet Hollow when I first got SH50 about 6 years ago. The center channel SH50 is not sitting a subwoofer. That’s a Hartke 2x10 bass speaker. I used it to get the center SH50 center line axis approximately the same as the Belle Klipsch it replaced. I set up all 3 SH50 as close as I could to how the Khorns & Belle were set up as a point of reference. It turned out to not be so good. Everything has changed since then. The whole orientation of the room, acoustical treatment, no more center speaker, and the SH50 are now 8’-9” from the front wall and 2.5’ from the side wall, angled 30d.

I use an Epik Empire subwoofer for SH50 stands.

Just a quick coat of paint should make these SH50 look a whole lot better. And not be anti-Klipsch or anything (I still own Khorns and have more Klipsch than anything else) but IMO the SH50 are in another league. When you get these things out into the room and away from the front wall the soundstage depth and breadth is amazing

post-8736-0-04400000-1435518667_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered that VTI BL304-series AV shelves with rubber dots on the posts make a perfect speaker stand for the SH50. Imaging has _drastically_ improved. Toeing the SH50s in about 15 degrees turns into about six feet of couch width where the imaging is still holographic. 

image.thumb.png.744542118cca34c7ce015bdc9f53581c.png 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if you are looking for something in the danley line but smaller, I have a pair of his Unity horns. I can take photos if you are interested- here is a website I found on them which has photos, specs and rave reviews! Its got the unity horn on top and the lambda acoustic woofers below just like this setup. 

I am also in the bay area. My home theater setup with these never quite took off so these have been sitting in my garage for some time now. 

I also have a pair of the emilar eh-500 horns with the ev-dh1 compression drivers- goes down to 500hz

• Like 1