Cornwall repair?

Picked up these cornwalls.  There was damage to the top of one and wood filler was used.  They cabs are in great shape otherwise.  These are 1977.  Gonna add binding posts and new caps.

i have never veneered.  I thought of adding new birch ply with trim pieces to look kinda like a decorator.

any thoughts?

CDF80F69-2779-449F-9332-05BA507E42D6.jpeg

• Like 1

The first pic shows a Cornwall. Just have to look closely and you will see the vent on the bottom and the second pic is a set of heresies

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pats3of4 said:

Picked up these cornwalls.  There was damage to the top of one and wood filler was used.  They cabs are in great shape otherwise.  These are 1977.  Gonna add binding posts and new caps.

i have never veneered.  I thought of adding new birch ply with trim pieces to look kinda like a decorator.

any thoughts?

CDF80F69-2779-449F-9332-05BA507E42D6.jpeg

THOSE ALREADY ARE DECORATORS!...CDBR's...and I most likely built them!

Just stand behind them...facing the rear of them....and look at the rear edge of the side panels to your left....up close to the top (within 2 inches from top!)...there will be letters stamped into that side panel there...if one is an "A", then I built them! 

These are late CDBR models...if the trim on front is like screen-door moulding or maybe quarter or half round...then likely was installed at factory...appears the standard grille=cloth panels used on the finely-veneered Cornwalls is what was put onto these....so very late ones!...prior to us starting the CBR model up with drop-in motor-boards!

You can finely-veneer them or use 1/8th inch thick finely veneered panels or birch panels to do it...too easy!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

The first pic shows a Cornwall. Just have to look closely and you will see the vent on the bottom and the second pic is a set of heresies

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

yes I did notice the Cornwall cabinet I was responding to the picture posted by Pats3of4. Regarding the Heresy well I have never seen a Heresy cabinet with that baffle thought the parts are Heresy the box is not. 

The owner of the CW with the bondo patch could sand smooth then prime the tops and paint them satin black then he could tidy up the side panes as the veneer there is probably ok but it is hard to tell. Just an option which would be easy to do and later still let the owner or a subsequent owner install fresh veneer on the tops if desires without any penalty.

These cabs are in great shape otherwise.  Looks like a woofer was swapped at one time.  One is a K-33 and the other is a k-33-e.  Both have square magnets but one has the round engraved Klipsch logo while the other does not.  These have the K600 cast metal horn for the mid.  K-55 mid with push terminals.  Crossovers have just 2 caps- a 4uf and a 2 uf.

6 hours ago, Pats3of4 said:

Looks great

There are a number of vendors of extremely beautiful veneers...they are ALSO quite expensive!  And many of them are specialty-grained veneers, such as burlwoods from different trees….which are even MORE expensive!  The problem with burlwood and those types of wildly swirling patterns is that they tend to be denser, and more brittle...they also tend to absorb and give off moisture in varying degrees...so not only can they be problem in application, but they can also be a problem in finish decisions and over time....so, IMHO it is better to keep things simple, unless you already have the experience in using advanced-level veneering techniques and finishes. If this is your first time around the block using veneers, then keep that in mind...otherwise Murphy's Law results could end up costing you lots of money before you finally finish your project. 

BTW, did you ever find my builder code on either of them?  Just curious!

• Thanks 1

The Heresys were built to exact size, they just look bigger due to the trim pieces.  The baffles are new and I bought them from Bob.

I traded for the Cornwalls.  I tried staining them and it looked terrible.  I should have chemically worked to remove more of the original stain.  The damage to the top I could not help in any way.

i sanded them again and sprayed them black.  I hated the look.  Looked like someone painted them black to hide defects.

yesterday i sanded the paint off and the glue from the velcro on the front baffle.

i have no experience with veneer and it scares me.  Its a lot to spend and ruin.  Soooo, looks like Im going to buy 1/4” or 1/2” birch ply and overlay the sides and top.  These have the rounded trim pieces brad nailed to the front.  I may use the same trim i used on the Heresy cabs I built.  

The damage on top is or was a hole.  There is an exit hole on the back plate.  I think someone shot them, lol.  Its clearly an entry and exit hole.  

I have no veneering experience but have overlaid several older speakers.

i will spray the front baffle black.  The grills are mint but Im not putting them on right away.

i have nickel binding posts with the metal plate and have upgraded the caps.

The back piece is in great shape outside of needing a patch.  The tags are in great shape.  They were never stained so i lightly sanded them and will probably just clear coat.  I kind of like keeping that original to show their origin.