Cornwall repair?

I'm building a large sub cabinet right now so I have been investigating diff finishes for a couple weeks, wood veneer is one of them. I have watched a couple you tube videos on veneer installation and it seems pretty straight forward and easy. You can cut it with a utility knife/straight edge and sand 90* edges with a sanding block to touch up/finish after install. Gonna link this one below, guy veneers a speaker and he is good at it. Makes it look really easy.

Paper backed veneer and contact glue application. The paper back keeps glue from "leaking" to veneer and damaging wood finish. Most of the actual wood veneer is .010", very thin. Many say you can roll this around a 1" radius.

Best thing you can do is google search for veneer products, but the best prices I have found for veneer delivered is amazon. I found several small businesses with good prices, but they eat you up on shipping costs. One was $35 for a single roll (walnut) with $21 delivery.....outrageous!

red oak at amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KN8X1G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_7?smid=ALKL3MA73R0KX&psc=1

cherry veneer 2'x8' sheet (my fav):  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009KN8INE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=A1WUT0GFUE3HL6&psc=1

Veneer is not cheap by any means but there are reasonable choices out there.  I would have used walnut if I hadn't got such a killer deal on what I bought.  I bought 3 sheets of ribbon mahogany and used about 2.5 sheets on my Belle clones and the remainder is going to be used for veneering two of my turntables...a Pioneer PL-518 and 516.  The nice part with veneering your Cornwalls is that you only have to do tops and sides...bottom optional.  The backs get painted satin black (typically,) as do the motorboards, and you'll also need edge banding to match.  The hardest part, really, is matching the grain from the tops to sides to get a good "matchbook" effect.

Edit:  Oops....you were talking about a sub cabinet...not Cornwalls.  My bad.

3 hours ago, Pats3of4 said:

i have no experience with veneer and it scares me.

Nothing to be scared about :D  Had never done it either ... but veneered 3 boxes in the last year.  Just do NOT rush it.

Personally went with wood backed veneer and contact cement (and iron-on banding for the front).  Cut the pieces close to size and "line up" the veneer side to top to side so you will get a continuous grain across the edges.

Good luck!