Tube rolling Primaluna Cornwall III

maxatzori

Hi guys ,my very first post on this fantastic forum which I follow from Italy . 

I am a proud owner of a pair of Cornwall III , I use 2 amplifications at the moment ,one is a Hybrib integrated amp  Unison research Unico 100 with tubes  on the pre- amp section and mosfet (180 W)on the power side  ,I am quite satisfied with it but I was looking for some more refined middles and some more precise scene , I therefore got a pair of Primalunas the Prologue 3 as pre amp and the prologue 5 power amp with KT88s .The previous owner changed all the tubes with Mullards Cryo ... When I tried the amp I found a very precise and strong base with some very fine and precise scene but the high end is horribly strident... I therefore put back the original PL tubes which I have to say are better than the Mullards . 

Having said all that ,do you have any experience with some other brands or types of tubes that will sound good with Cornwall’s -KT88s ,EL 34s,KT77s as the PL has auto bias I can tube roll with confidence....

i basically really like the KT88 as it’s powerful ,dynamic,precise  but exceeds at the top end ,so I was looking for something similar but with smoother highs ...

thanks for for your help guys 

Ciao 

Max

D88B0B41-2FDD-4378-8D6A-ED3CB4D5771A.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/17/2019 at 5:01 PM, maxatzori said:

prologue 5 power amp

ProLogue Five Specifications

Output Power 36 watts x 2
Inputs 1 Pair RCA
Outputs 4 & 8 Ohm speaker taps
Freq. Response (+/- .5dB) 20Hz-85kHz
THD < 1% at full power
S/N Ratio 89 dB

Input Sensitivity

775mV
Power Consumption 210 watts
Standard Tube Complement 2 - 12AX7
2 - 12AU7
4 - KT88
Dimensions (WxHxD) 11" x 7.5" x 15.5"
Weight 37.5 lbs

On 5/17/2019 at 5:01 PM, maxatzori said:

Hi guys ,my very first post on this fantastic forum which I follow from Italy . 

I am a proud owner of a pair of Cornwall III , I use 2 amplifications at the moment ,one is a Hybrib integrated amp  Unison research Unico 100 with tubes  on the pre- amp section and mosfet (180 W)on the power side  ,I am quite satisfied with it but I was looking for some more refined middles and some more precise scene , I therefore got a pair of Primalunas the Prologue 3 as pre amp and the prologue 5 power amp with KT88s .The previous owner changed all the tubes with Mullards Cryo ... When I tried the amp I found a very precise and strong base with some very fine and precise scene but the high end is horribly strident... I therefore put back the original PL tubes which I have to say are better than the Mullards . 

Having said all that ,do you have any experience with some other brands or types of tubes that will sound good with Cornwall’s -KT88s ,EL 34s,KT77s as the PL has auto bias I can tube roll with confidence....

i basically really like the KT88 as it’s powerful ,dynamic,precise  but exceeds at the top end ,so I was looking for something similar but with smoother highs ...

thanks for for your help guys 

Ciao 

Max

D88B0B41-2FDD-4378-8D6A-ED3CB4D5771A.jpeg

You may want to talk with Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio. He is a Prima Luna and Klipsch dealer. The input tubes have more impact on the sound than the power tubes.

The Mullards are rebranded modern tubes. Does not make them bad, just not the Mullards of 50 years ago. 

I used to have tube gear. Liked tubes that were not microphonic, stable, and lasted a long time. This was usually a NOS tube. 

The Eastern Europeans, Russians, and Chinese all make a wide variety of tubes. Most are fine.

Positioning, room interaction, and source quality make a larger difference than the brand of tubes. Play with those before spending a lot to experiment with tube Sonics.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I also have CWIII and I use modern Mullard Russian EL34 on my Cary SLi 50 first version in 2x30W class A, it is also automatic bias. The other tubes are Svetlana NOS 5U4G / 5C3S rectifiers, Psvane 12AU7 T Mark II and finally Psvane UK 6SN7. The result of listening with the Cornwall III is very soft and never aggressive, in my opinion Klipsch speakers are not the problem at home 😜

A picture of Cary when he was equipped with the same set, but with 6CA7 JJ, it was also very soft in the treble

16c8.jpg

I agree with everyone, try to change the input tubes for better results :)