Giant ported La Scala?

Hey all, I am asking for a bit of advice from those here that are more technically minded.

I have read a bunch of posts on adding a ported riser to La Scala's - I am using La Scala's as part of a system for an event, there will be a room of people dancing so would like to raise the La Scala cabinets to 2200mm (total height). This means I will be building a box that is 1300 high, 600 wide and 620 deep (51 x 23.5 x 24.5 inches).

My question is - Will a ported box of this size be beneficial? Has anyone tried something like this before? I figure I could run a channel from the port on the bottom of my La Scalas through the middle of my ported box and seal it off so the cavity is essentially smaller. Is a larger box going to increase the range of the La Scalas? I read that the ported box that people commonly build will lower the frequency range to around 40hz. 

As someone who has ported La Scalas, I can give you a definite perhaps.

In the large space you’re speaking of, I doubt you’d appreciate much bass enhancement.  That said, raising the speakers would be helpful and making the riser do double duty as a reflex port, would be interesting.  Trying this would not do any irreversible damage to the La Scalas.  To get the maximum benefit from the port, you would need to modify the balancing network.

IMO, La Scalas used in a domestic 2-channel system should be supplemented by a TH subwoofer.  If a sub is not possible, only then would I bother with porting La Scalas.

post-6832-0-60120000-1423623361_thumb.jpgpost-6832-0-52040000-1423623860_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DizRotus said:

In the large space you’re speaking of, I doubt you’d appreciate much bass enhancement.

Oh, I'm sure that bass enhancement would be appreciated, whether or not in this particular case the result would be appreciable is what's in question :)

• Like 1

positioning the loudspeaker so that the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level (usually around 39" plus or minus) will make for an improvement of stage and image and you will obtain much improved frequency response. I have found this to be the case with every loudspeaker, I have ever tried it with. Off axis response be it from a direct radiator or from a horn is never smooth.

2 hours ago, lone-wolf said:

I get the feeling that implementing a sub would get better results than porting the boxes. Thanks for your input guys.

Exactly.  The quality of the bass from La Scalas in a small space without a sub is excellent; many never feel the need for a sub when listening to music; movies are another matter.  I would only bother with the port modification if subs were not possible.

2 hours ago, rockhound said:

Sub's would be the way to go IMHO. Keep an eye out for some KP-480's as they were meant to have La Scala's sit on top of them. I have a pair of 480's and they will pound clean bass given enough juice to feed them.

That is a good fact to know. Never seen or heard of the KP-480. Raising the La Scala is a good idea in my setup. But I am thinking about a foot. 

Using a high quality active sub now. 

I like rolling in the sub at a low frequency. With the filters dialed in the crossover the sub cannot localized. I listened for a couple hours yesterday and could not tell the bass was not coming from the LS. Even on some tracks with heavy bass lines. 

The single sub sits hard stage right. 

The sub does not add much to many tracks. I like sacred music and most is choral without a lot of accompaniment. But on some types it really adds power and feel.

The best position for a speaker is so that the centre of the mid driver/horn is at your seated ear level (39" plus or minus) and this will result in improved stage image and the smoothest possible response from the driver. Some will complain that raising the speaker up off the floor will result in a reduction in bass. I have found that when using good stands bass is often enhanced over the original floor location. Never the less off axis response is not what you paid to listen to and it is never as good as on axis response.

The raising of my LS would be good. I need something that looks okay. 

Stuck some thick  hard rubber bumpers in the front under the small nibs Klipsch uses to achieve a little tilt back. Raised the front about a 1/2”. 

Must be hopeful thinking but it seemed to integrate better. Seemed like a change for the better. Need to hunt up some 1” blocks.

13 hours ago, moray james said:

The best position for a speaker is so that the centre of the mid driver/horn is at your seated ear level (39" plus or minus) and this will result in improved stage image and the smoothest possible response from the driver. Some will complain that raising the speaker up off the floor will result in a reduction in bass. I have found that when using good stands bass is often enhanced over the original floor location. Never the less off axis response is not what you paid to listen to and it is never as good as on axis response.

The application here is a room full of people dancing, so the aim is for the mid-range and tweeter to be raised to just above head height. Any loss in bottom end from raising the cabinets will be compensated by a couple of subs (it should also be noted that there will be khorns in the room too, the La Scala's are centre channels). My initial thought is to roll the subs off around 80hz. I think there will be a fair bit of house music so we will certainly be feeding the bottom end.

What would your advice be regarding stands? I was just thinking some heavy timber boxes built to the dimensions of the La Scala's.

38 minutes ago, moray james said:

what ever you have at hand that is solid and stable will do the job I am sure. even cinder blocks would work if you have them around.

Cinder blocks might not be the safest option in a dance environment.  Nobody wants to have a La Scala fall on them.

29 minutes ago, Islander said:

Cinder blocks might not be the safest option in a dance environment.  Nobody wants to have a La Scala fall on them.

I guess it would depend on the floor, I will trust the builder to figure it out. Maybe include a strap to hold it all together?