Forte III test

Fredzz0rs

Hi @Fredzz0rs, Welcome to the forums!

I'll have to look at my spec sheet again, but they might have to come out from the wall a little more to better utilize the 15" passive on the back. Thin sounding and seeing the tube amp there seems odd to me. Play something with pronounced bass in it at that normal low listening level. Peek around behind one of those F3s, hear all that bass? Pull them out some more and it will come out into your room. I see the doorways on each side but maybe it's possible?

If you are using one set of speaker cables those jumpers (at the wiring inputs) are intact aren't they?

Another tidbit is that these excel at reproducing lifelike midrange, and with the tweeter and mid being horn loaded that might be more pronounced than what your used to. You've mentioned the imaging already and I love that about my F3s!

Here it is:

"For optimal low-bass performance, it is recommended the loudspeaker
be placed within 2 to 10 inches of the back wall."

That is quoted directly from the manual. and every listening area is different, so play with your positioning and you will be able to hear the difference in the different ones. Have fun!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

I'll have to look at my spec sheet again, but they might have to come out from the wall a little more to better utilize the 15" passive on the back. Thin sounding and seeing the tube amp there seems odd to me. Play something with pronounced bass in it at that normal low listening level. Peek around behind one of those F3s, hear all that bass? Pull them out some more and it will come out into your room. I see the doorways on each side but maybe it's possible?

If you are using one set of speaker cables those jumpers (at the wiring inputs) are intact aren't they?

Another tidbit is that these excel at reproducing lifelike midrange, and with the tweeter and mid being horn loaded that might be more pronounced than what your used to. You've mentioned the imaging already and I love that about my F3s!

Here it is:

That is quoted directly from the manual. and every listening area is different, so play with your positioning and you will be able to hear the difference in the different ones. Have fun!

15 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Here it is:

Thank’s for the advice! I have tried having them 7 inch from backwall and that is about the most I can have in the room. 

To the left there is a open vault to the entrance and to right openings to bedrooms. 

The quality of the bass is very much depending of the recording. Forte is very revealing with bad recordings. 

I would like to have more low end at lower volumes. Do you think it could be better with Heresey III and one or two subs? 

Bass would be better with H3s and a good sub or two I'm sure.

I doubt that the new Heresy could make the smooth midrange & imagery that the Forte III can.

I got the bug for deeper bass and ended up getting a sub myself recently and I love it. It was the second one I've tried in the last year, the first detracted from what I think is a terrific sounding bass from the F3. So be judicious about what you pair with them.

Does your wiring have a low resistivity to it?

I like the aesthetics of your room but I'd wager the home theater folks here would suggest some more or different textiles in there too. 

You have landed both feet deep into it, there are a myriad of answers to your query grasshopper!🙏

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Bass would be better with H3s and a good sub or two I'm sure.

I doubt that the new Heresy could make the smooth midrange & imagery that the Forte III can.

I got the bug for deeper bass and ended up getting a sub myself recently and I love it. It was the second one I've tried in the last year, the first detracted from what I think is a terrific sounding bass from the F3. So be judicious about what you pair with them.

Does your wiring have a low resistivity to it?

I like the aesthetics of your room but I'd wager the home theater folks here would suggest some more or different textiles in there too. 

You have landed both feet deep into it, there are a myriad of answers to your query grasshopper!🙏

Which sub did you end up with? 

I have have speakercables with low resistance. 

SVS SB-3000

It has the controls of their expensive ones, lots of oomph to it, clean tight bass that mates with the sounds my Klipsch make. My rig is just music. If you consider that brand (or more Klipsch) there is a member here that I can not recommend enough that carries both: @MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Check the sub threads and garage sale here though folded horn subs would probably sound much better to me, I just don't own a woodworking shop or even have good clamps anymore to build a kit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fredzz0rs said:

Thank’s for the advice! I have tried having them 7 inch from backwall and that is about the most I can have in the room

To the left there is a open vault to the entrance and to right openings to bedrooms. 

The quality of the bass is very much depending of the recording. Forte is very revealing with bad recordings. 

I would like to have more low end at lower volumes. Do you think it could be better with Heresey III and one or two subs? 

Pulling them further out than you have them would take you backwards in terms of what you're seeking.  Not only are there no room corners anywhere nearby, the opposite is the case with effective "holes" instead.  I suggest just a couple inches from the wall, toed in.

Yes many modern recordings (or even newly "remastered" old ones) have utterly atrocious frequency balance and dynamics.

No way the Heresy will provide a better overall sound, in my opinion.  If you need a sub, you need a sub.  I'd just turn up the bass a notch or two if/when needed.

I have a pair of Forte III with the right speaker about 4 feet from a corner and the left about 20' from the other corner, no way around it.  The left speaker is obviously shy on bass compared to right, in all combinations of speaker and amplifier channel driving it.  It's the nature of physics.  I have no tone controls and absolutely no need for them with the Forte III, which sound extremely balanced from top to bottom from quiet to loud.  What was your prior setup and how well did it do there?

1 hour ago, avguytx said:

Is that wrinkly grill cloth on new speakers??

I noticed that, too.  First on the right speaker and then on the left in different pictures.

Well out into the room plus on top of an open pedestal must really lighten the perceived bass output.  Not sure I'd go that route, certainly not in my room.  'Course I'm using flat-response load-invariant class-D amplification, which might make a difference as well.

6 hours ago, glens said:

Pulling them further out than you have them would take you backwards in terms of what you're seeking.  Not only are there no room corners anywhere nearby, the opposite is the case with effective "holes" instead.  I suggest just a couple inches from the wall, toed in.

Yes many modern recordings (or even newly "remastered" old ones) have utterly atrocious frequency balance and dynamics.

No way the Heresy will provide a better overall sound, in my opinion.  If you need a sub, you need a sub.  I'd just turn up the bass a notch or two if/when needed.

I have a pair of Forte III with the right speaker about 4 feet from a corner and the left about 20' from the other corner, no way around it.  The left speaker is obviously shy on bass compared to right, in all combinations of speaker and amplifier channel driving it.  It's the nature of physics.  I have no tone controls and absolutely no need for them with the Forte III, which sound extremely balanced from top to bottom from quiet to loud.  What was your prior setup and how well did it do there?

I noticed that, too.  First on the right speaker and then on the left in different pictures.

Here is Klipsch answer about the wrinkly grill. 

6A276727-A223-4874-A8FF-D2F5B78594AE.jpeg

Sound better after break-in?  Doubtful.  More likely it's an acoustic issue related to your listening environment.

Regarding break-in, here is what Bob Crites (noted Klipsch historian and designer/manufacturer of Klipsch upgrades and replacement components) has to say:

(from his website)

1222378562_ScreenShot2019-05-19at7_54_54AM.thumb.png.f5618e38506adda26769be628f0dd872.png

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Fredzz0rs said:

I have borrowed a Forte III and it is the first time I listened at Klipsch. It sounds good right out of box but maybe it’s a little bit thin at lower volumes. Do the sound be any different after some burn in? 

The word “borrowed” puzzles me.  Are you borrowing new speakers from a dealer?  I assume so, otherwise the question regarding burn- in makes no sense, as it’s unlikely an individual would let you borrow brand new speakers.

If you’re able to borrow H3s to compare, I suggest you do so.  IMO, the Tractrix squawker of the F3 will produce better imaging and  better all around midrange detail than the H3.  IMO the bass will be comparable; both would benefit from a good sub, or subs.

31 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

The word “borrowed” puzzles me.  Are you borrowing new speakers from a dealer?  I assume so, otherwise the question regarding burn- in makes no sense, as it’s unlikely an individual would let you borrow brand new speakers.

If you’re able to borrow H3s to compare, I suggest you do so.  IMO, the Tractrix squawker of the F3 will produce better imaging and  better all around midrange detail than the H3.  IMO the bass will be comparable; both would benefit from a good sub, or subs.

I now the people in the local hifi-shop and thet hadn't have any Klipsch speakers before as demo so the reseller at Klipsch in Sweden was kind enough to send a brand new to the shop that I could borrow. If i like them I just have to pay, otherwise I bring them back at friday 

• Thanks 1