Forte III test

Fredzz0rs

16 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

Hard to crunch that in a spread sheet, I would say priceless.

This one gets me pretty close where "P" equals the distance of the corners of your mouth, as measured by first, inserting some safety pins INTO the corners of your mouth and then carefully measuring while smiling.  Don't let the wife connect electrical cords to the pins while they're inserted or you'll look like the Joker forever more.

Trust me....would I lie to you?

e10.gif.dab65d7ddd9802cb55952271beb5bc28.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I used the piano in response to the post that stated the person did not need a subwoofer while listening to piano music.   Of course there are instruments that play lower than a piano.  I am not into home theatre so that aspect of a subwoofer does not interest me. 

11 minutes ago, kink56 said:

Of course there are instruments that play lower than a piano.

Of course.  But I have to ask "how often does even a modern piano play those strings"?  If one considers the history of the piano, playing even half that low is a really recent innovation.  There are many recordings available of Mozart compositions, for example, rendered on instruments approximating those available to Wolfgang, and even a LaScala (in terms of the "piano") would more than suffice.  Ditto for Beethoven and more.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, YK Thom said:

Although they are pricey in your currency ( we have had the same issue with the Canadian dollar the past few years), Fortes are a great all around speaker. On top of this Klipsch are known for longevity. You could still be enjoying these decades down road. If you mentally amortize the initial price over the potential number of years you could own these they are quite reasonable. New models in the future will only be more expensive.

For speakers at that performance range there easily priced on the cheap side, but still not cheap even in the US.

But if you keep them for years as many do and go back and add up the hours listening divided by the price it's a steal for what you get. Then add in resale value if you decide to switch.

That's the problem I don't sell any.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dtel said:

But if you keep them for years as many do and go back and add up the hours listening divided by the price it's a steal for what you get. Then add in resale value if you decide to switch.

Nailed it.

Bought my LaScalas in 1979.  I honestly have no clue what I paid so let's say $1,500 (which for raw/unfinished is probably high)  Divide that by years of ownership (40) and you get $37.50/year.  Heck...  I've got my annual price of Jubilee's down to about $583!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

And the only added expense is if the speakers have crossovers they could be refreshed in 20 years which is not expensive especially if you just replace caps. No foam surrounds to replace like some brands, I hated doing that.

And the more you listen the cheaper they get.

NOT even counting me being able to listen anytime I wanted almost positively kept me home and mostly out of trouble.   There are many worse habits.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dtel said:

NOT even counting me being able to listen anytime I wanted almost positively kept me home and mostly out of trouble.   There are many worse habits.

^^  This guy is a damn Oracle.....

images.jpg

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Coytee said:

Nailed it.

Bought my LaScalas in 1979.  I honestly have no clue what I paid so let's say $1,500 (which for raw/unfinished is probably high)  Divide that by years of ownership (40) and you get $37.50/year.  Heck...  I've got my annual price of Jubilee's down to about $583!!

I’m still trying to amortize a vasectomy.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, glens said:

Of course.  But I have to ask "how often does even a modern piano play those strings"?  If one considers the history of the piano, playing even half that low is a really recent innovation.  There are many recordings available of Mozart compositions, for example, rendered on instruments approximating those available to Wolfgang, and even a LaScala (in terms of the "piano") would more than suffice.  Ditto for Beethoven and more.

I can see both sides of this discussion and agree both directions. @kink56 has heard my LaScalas and they do come up a little short every now and then.

I know subs would compliment them... I might do it eventually. Not something I NEED, yet.

if you are looking for response to 15hz, you will need a sub...

• Moderators
4 hours ago, kink56 said:

Well let me put it this way both my Forte and my Cornwall benefit from a sub. 

Any speaker does. IMO

No full range standalone speakers made yet, well ones that don't make Jubs look tiny and priced higher than the average home.

MWM/402 here and I want a sub with it to cover what they can't do, and they're not tiny speakers.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 6:14 AM, moray james said:

if you are into doing some cabinet and driver modification I would suggest finding a pair of Chorus ll, but there is another catch and that is a Chorus or Chorus ll will require a lot more power to shine (and the same is true for your Forte 3). I would not recommend the H3. The K701 mid horn is an ancient horn design and its performance is well below the mid horn in a Forte ll or Chorus ll. The level of excitement and reality the Chorus 15 inch woofer brings to the table is impressive, it is probably the most fun speaker to listen to that Klipsch built when provided with power. In your situation I would not go larger than the Chorus ll. I would place them on a fine set of Skylan stands and raise them so the centre of the mids horn is at your seated ear level (usually around a metre plus or minus) and I would pick up a used Benchmark AHB2. I have compared my AHB2 (third one in the house now) to a Spectral 200x2 (30 Kg and more than double the cost) amp and the Benchmark had more jump more impact and better bass weight and control yet it is a compact and efficient cool running amplifier. If you don't feel like doing any modification work take a look at the Bob Crites Cornscala"D" loudspeaker. You could buy the parts and a set of baffles and have the cabinets built locally.These run better horns and drivers than you are going to get in a Klipsch.

I would second the Benchmark AHB2 amp. Although you rarely see used ones for sale. I know I’ll never sell mine - I own two. Best amp I have owned by a long shot. 

• 3 months later...

Alright everyone, seriously confused and bewildered!!

I want to upgrade my music-only system now that I have a house big enough to have surround upstairs for movies.

I have an older Denon AVR1000 receiver that I love but think I will move upstairs for the surround and get a 2.1 for music (primarily LPs)

Not a lot of options without going separates route and expense seems silly 

Thought I was sold on Klipsch Forte iii with the reviews I read but the size makes my wife shudder.  Was reading in here about RP280-F and size more reasonable and I like the price better too.  (Considered Logan ESLX and B&W 720 but they aren't best for my rock ear (ACDC, Rush, Triumph) I don't believe and the Logan's sweet spot seems small) as I tend to roam with stereo on a lot.

So.....Can I go wrong with the Fortes?  Suggestions on 2.1 receiver to drive them?  Are the 280Fs a good alternative?

Also, can I just add a bigger amp through the preamp out on the Denon AVR1000?

On 5/26/2019 at 6:58 AM, DizRotus said:

I agree completely.  I’d rather listen to a good recording of good music on a clock radio than a bad recording of music I don’t enjoy from the best hi-fi system with fully horn loaded subs.  Movies and games are another matter; explosions beg for subwoofers.

Of course, a good recording of good music from a fully horn-loaded system capable of clean reproduction to 20 Hz, or lower, is better still, but unavailable and unnecessary to most people who enjoy recorded music.  Well set up Forte 3s or Las Scalas (or any Heritage) in most residential spaces will satisfy 99%; we are the outliers.

I enjoy fully horn loaded everything, which is the ultimate IMHO. The LaScalas need a sub, whoever said they don't is dead wrong if full range, "musical bass" is to be enjoyed. I had Forte I's, Chorus 1's, and Chorus II's. The Fortes were like Heresy's with BASS. The Chorus were in a different league.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, moray james said:

if you are into doing some cabinet and driver modification I would suggest finding a pair of Chorus ll, but there is another catch and that is a Chorus or Chorus ll will require a lot more power to shine (and the same is true for your Forte 3). I would not recommend the H3. The K701 mid horn is an ancient horn design and its performance is well below the mid horn in a Forte ll or Chorus ll. The level of excitement and reality the Chorus 15 inch woofer brings to the table is impressive, it is probably the most fun speaker to listen to that Klipsch built when provided with power. In your situation I would not go larger than the Chorus ll. I would place them on a fine set of Skylan stands and raise them so the centre of the mids horn is at your seated ear level (usually around a metre plus or minus) and I would pick up a used Benchmark AHB2. I have compared my AHB2 (third one in the house now) to a Spectral 200x2 (30 Kg and more than double the cost) amp and the Benchmark had more jump more impact and better bass weight and control yet it is a compact and efficient cool running amplifier. If you don't feel like doing any modification work take a look at the Bob Crites Cornscala"D" loudspeaker. You could buy the parts and a set of baffles and have the cabinets built locally.These run better horns and drivers than you are going to get in a Klipsch.

I had mine in my Chorus II's in 1,500 square foot Photo Studio, 30x50 room with 16 ft. high ceilings (an old Baptist Church). I ran them with a 6 watt T-amp with a 12 volt Radio Shack Wall Wart for a power supply. They sounded great, and most times the other tenants in the building told me to turn it down. The bass was very detailed, and the mids were fabulous too.

• Like 1