Forte III test

Fredzz0rs

Claude: it has been my experience that there are far far more amplifier designs which do not make good bass that there are those which do. For the most part the ones that do more often than not have  solid power supplies many of those happen to be large. There are always exceptions to the rule, I built a small SE 6v6 amp with walnut size transformers. As would be expected it's output was around 3/4 of a watt, though it had very good bass unfortunately it ran out of gas in a hurry. For some reason it seems harder to design an amp with good bass than it seems to be for other components in the chain. Just my observations/experience.

Hi! I thought I would tell you guys how it went. I happen to come across a pair of Chorus II here in Sweden that I bought:) 

I am so happy I didn’t spend five grand on pair of Forte III. I am very satisfied with the Chorus. The drivers are in great shape. I have ordered a pair of Titanium diaphragm from Crites and are going to update the crossover in a few weeks.

thanks for all the advice:)

A9531F75-4B4C-40A6-8E9F-D59DA93E0DC5.jpeg

D328EAE2-6920-404D-BF65-B7BC337DE69D.jpeg

D1C59C76-FCEB-4E21-8F92-45D286B062FD.jpeg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, moray james said:

Claude: it has been my experience that there are far far more amplifier designs which do not make good bass that there are those which do. For the most part the ones that do more often than not have  solid power supplies many of those happen to be large. There are always exceptions to the rule, I built a small SE 6v6 amp with walnut size transformers. As would be expected it's output was around 3/4 of a watt, though it had very good bass unfortunately it ran out of gas in a hurry. For some reason it seems harder to design an amp with good bass than it seems to be for other components in the chain. Just my observations/experience.

I agree with you, which is why I use Crown K2's for sub bass.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, ODS123 said:

I don't mean to offend, but I would not even think about modifying a speaker in this way - particularly a current production model that may still be under warranty.

So you're adding bracing to fix presumed resonances, but you're also decreasing internal volume which is apt to have all sorts of ill affects.   Remember, those who engineered these speakers had every opportunity to design bracing into the design if they felt it would improve their sound.  And they didn't.

Before even considering this I would insist on a careful direct and blinded comparison b/w a pair so modified and an original pair - I would NOT simply take someones word that it improves the speaker. 

I have Cornwall III's and will admit that they sound fairly hollow and unbraced when you knock on them.  Yet, I hear ZERO smearing at ANY volume and with any kind of music or test tones that could be attributable to resonances.  To my thinking, adding bracing sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

I'm new to Klipsch and very happy with my Cornwall IIIs. I really don't see or hear a problem that needs to be fixed with a bunch of wool and sticks. :-D

Edited by VNC Studio

On 4/15/2020 at 12:01 AM, Patricio said:

Love My Forte III.... terrific "live" sound

And I love the old school equalizer and receiver too!  ..Today's no-frills approach to Audio of no tone controls, no balance control, no stereo/mono switch takes audio backwards, imho.  These features, if sensibly implemented, make listening to music soooo much more enjoyable.  ..And fun too.  

Love your system.