Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community

Recommended Posts

Rooms with an open floor plan are always going to be bass shy. And judging from the from all the hard reflective surfaces in that room, I bet the sound is somewhat shouty and lean. Even if you don't think it is,  listening to the same system in a different room would bear that out. A better room (four adjacent walls) with carpet and more furniture would sound immensely better.

 

Shakey

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dirtmudd said:

Are you running in ultralinear or triode....

 

Triod. The bass feels thicker in tiod-mode 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you don't buy them you'll always wonder what it could have been like.  Kind of like the person with a barrel of apples, always picking one that's gone a little bad (before it gets even worse and they have to throw it away).  Rarely to they enjoy a good apple 'cause the next marginal one will get picked next, and so forth.  Pick the good apple now and enjoy it!  You only live once (at least that you know of) and it's only money.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, glens said:

If you don't buy them you'll always wonder what it could have been like.  Kind of like the person with a barrel of apples, always picking one that's gone a little bad (before it gets even worse and they have to throw it away).  Rarely to they enjoy a good apple 'cause the next marginal one will get picked next, and so forth.  Pick the good apple now and enjoy it!  You only live once (at least that you know of) and it's only money.

 

I like your metaphor. You are absolutely right. And regarding Shakydeals comment, I understand that my system would sound even better with the right acoustic treatment and a better shaped room but this is what I got for the moment. 

 

I put the music first and do not care much if they measure correctly or not. The most important thing is that the system creates a involving feeling and makes it funny listening.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you are into doing some cabinet and driver modification I would suggest finding a pair of Chorus ll, but there is another catch and that is a Chorus or Chorus ll will require a lot more power to shine (and the same is true for your Forte 3). I would not recommend the H3. The K701 mid horn is an ancient horn design and its performance is well below the mid horn in a Forte ll or Chorus ll. The level of excitement and reality the Chorus 15 inch woofer brings to the table is impressive, it is probably the most fun speaker to listen to that Klipsch built when provided with power. In your situation I would not go larger than the Chorus ll. I would place them on a fine set of Skylan stands and raise them so the centre of the mids horn is at your seated ear level (usually around a metre plus or minus) and I would pick up a used Benchmark AHB2. I have compared my AHB2 (third one in the house now) to a Spectral 200x2 (30 Kg and more than double the cost) amp and the Benchmark had more jump more impact and better bass weight and control yet it is a compact and efficient cool running amplifier. If you don't feel like doing any modification work take a look at the Bob Crites Cornscala"D" loudspeaker. You could buy the parts and a set of baffles and have the cabinets built locally.These run better horns and drivers than you are going to get in a Klipsch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Fredzz0rs said:

 

I like your metaphor. You are absolutely right. And regarding Shakydeals comment, I understand that my system would sound even better with the right acoustic treatment and a better shaped room but this is what I got for the moment. 

 

I put the music first and do not care much if they measure correctly or not. The most important thing is that the system creates a involving feeling and makes it funny listening.  

 

I get that. Not everyone can have a dedicated room for music. Hopefully in the future you will be able to have such a luxury. I have a very understanding wife who has fully supported my hobby from day one. I get the best room in the house and she's ok with that. I am very fortunate.

 

In your situation, most speakers will be compromised to some degree. I believe the Forte III is such a good product that it will deliver the same or more performance than any other contender in it's price range in such an environment. You are starting from a good place by buying a really good speaker. The rest comes in time.

 

Shakey

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The La Scalas and Belles I heard REALLY needed a subwoofer!! Just as much as Heresys do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that has always confused me is on the Klipsch brochures the Forte II is down 3dB at 32hz and the Chorus II is down 3dB and 39hz.  One would think the Chorus would spec out lower than the Forte. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 10:43 PM, Fredzz0rs said:

I have borrowed a Forte III and it is the first time I listened at Klipsch. It sounds good right out of box but maybe it’s a little bit thin at lower volumes. Do the sound be any different after some burn in? 

 

 

Hi. Recently began to use Forte II (not III) in my system. My experience concerns Forte II.

The pair appeared  to be a very low hours i.e. almost non-played. I'd be very disappointed with the sound if hadn't had Forte II  before and knew what they are worth for. Among other issues there  was almost no bass. If the III's behaviour and II's is alike, the changes in bass  after Break-In gonna be dramatic. It took me about a month of everyday use (5-6 hours a day) to make them sound as they should. 

 Don't let their  sensitivity mislead you - they require rather powerful amplifier with good controll. You should avoid amplifiers that overcontroll.

 

Advices are worth when they are asked for... Sorry if I were you I would think about purchasing Forte II (or Chorus II if you are experienced user) for $1500 in good condition instead. Good luck

Edited by koba
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kink56 said:

One thing that has always confused me is on the Klipsch brochures the Forte II is down 3dB at 32hz and the Chorus II is down 3dB and 39hz.  One would think the Chorus would spec out lower than the Forte. 

size has little to do with it. you hang a weight on a spring that's the bulk of it in a nut shell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 10:35 AM, kink56 said:

The La Scalas and Belles I heard REALLY needed a subwoofer!! Just as much as Heresys do. 

 

Well, it depends.  In my case I listen in a very well-damped space and over 90% of my listening is to acoustic piano jazz.  I actually run a sub all the time but I seldom need it.  Of course when I put on Led Zeppelin (or even full-bore classical) it's another matter.  The point is that situations vary, and one man's hard-and-fast rule may be another's flexible option.

 

My compliments to the OP and his handsome speakers with natural-fabric grilles!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Archguy said:

 

Well, it depends.  In my case I listen in a very well-damped space and over 90% of my listening is to acoustic piano jazz.  I actually run a sub all the time but I seldom need it.  Of course when I put on Led Zeppelin (or even full-bore classical) it's another matter.  The point is that situations vary, and one man's hard-and-fast rule may be another's flexible option.

 

My compliments to the OP and his handsome speakers with natural-fabric grilles!

 

I agree completely.  I’d rather listen to a good recording of good music on a clock radio than a bad recording of music I don’t enjoy from the best hi-fi system with fully horn loaded subs.  Movies and games are another matter; explosions beg for subwoofers.

 

Of course, a good recording of good music from a fully horn-loaded system capable of clean reproduction to 20 Hz, or lower, is better still, but unavailable and unnecessary to most people who enjoy recorded music.  Well set up Forte 3s or Las Scalas (or any Heritage) in most residential spaces will satisfy 99%; we are the outliers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I’d rather listen to a good recording of good music on a clock radio than a bad recording of music I don’t enjoy from the best hi-fi system with fully horn loaded subs.

 

Amen, brother!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The lowest note on a piano is 27.5 hz.  The La Scala is -4dB down at 51 hz.  Again I say the La Scala needs a sub. If someone does not think so it is because they are content with not hearing the bottom octave accurately, and that is fine if that is your thing.   I would think the KPT-1802 would be a good match for the La Scala. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, kink56 said:

The lowest note on a piano is 27.5 hz.  The La Scala is -4dB down at 51 hz.  Again I say the La Scala needs a sub. If someone does not think so it is because they are content with not hearing the bottom octave accurately, and that is fine if that is your thing.   I would think the KPT-1802 would be a good match for the La Scala. 

 

Amen brother! Even the Forte III with its rear firing passive radiator digs deeper than the La Scala. Several acoustic musical instruments produce sound lower than 50 hz, the piano as you mentioned, the bassoon and bass tuba also. A pipe organ can hit a bone rattling 20 hz!

 

Don't even mention home theater.........the LFE on some blu ray movies. Live, Die, Repeat blu ray is one of the litmus tests for LFE. The opening LFE pulses will really test many subs and speakers. Leave some moaning.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As others have mentioned here and elsewhere Forte III's (probably many if not most speakers) are very sensitive to placement. I have ended up without any toe-in and about 10-12" from the wall-and I'm still adjusting after nearly a year.  The biggest adjustment I've made though is putting a blanket over the huge glass covered artwork behind my listening position (a temporary solution). No other adjustment has had the impact that I experienced doing this-mind boggling difference really.The other big difference has been returning to my '77 Pioneer SX-1250. That sounds with the Forte's makes me to wonder what more could it want-though I am about to experiment with some tube amplification just for the experience.

 

Edited by dbomberger
Add another thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although they are pricey in your currency ( we have had the same issue with the Canadian dollar the past few years), Fortes are a great all around speaker. On top of this Klipsch are known for longevity. You could still be enjoying these decades down road. If you mentally amortize the initial price over the potential number of years you could own these they are quite reasonable. New models in the future will only be more expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, YK Thom said:

If you mentally amortize the initial price over the potential number of years you could own these they are quite reasonable.

 

How does one factor years of grins into an amortization?  Whatever the process it needs to be done in this case!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, glens said:

 

How does one factor in years of grins?

Hard to crunch that in a spread sheet, I would say priceless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You caught me altering my post post-submission...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...