8000f discoloration?

I just received 2 8000f floor speakers from Crutchfield and both units have this weird band of discoloration in the middle when direct light hits them. Has anyone seen this on this model or with the 280s? Wondering if there is a solution to get this off or if I should possibly return them.

The box was not damaged or anything and its kind of weird that 2 separate boxes have the same issue.

Here are 3 images of what I'm talking about:

https://imgur.com/a/1GrFcNq

It looks like some kind of wide strap was put around the speakers maybe to secure them to a hand truck or something? If the box isn't damaged and they are not returns or open box it must have been done at Klipsch which seems surprising.

You could try rubbing some wood protection oil which might help hide the marks.

I'd send these pics to Crutchfield. If they bug you, you should have clean, new speakers with unmarked cabinets. Good luck, and please do let us know here what happens...

Edited by fmalloy

Well, it's vinyl, so I don't know how well it'll take to wood surface treatments.

It only appears in direct sunlight or direct any light?  If only in sunlight (especially from the side) I could see how it would've been missed at the factory.  Otherwise it's a bit of a mystery for sure.  Could well have happened at any point during, or even prior to, manufacturing/assembly.  The roll of vinyl prior to application could have had a wrap of tape or film to secure the flap and it sucked out some of the chemicals (seen that with floor covering), the material for this pair coming from the first wrap of a new roll, or material feed wheels lightly burnishing the surface at some point when feeding the vinyl sheet or the post-applied-to panels.

All speculation as to the origin aside, if it only appears in direct sunlight and you can live with it otherwise, Crutchfield may work with you on a price adjustment as opposed to all the overhead involved with replacement.

How well do you like them otherwise?  Sound good?

I've sent a video and pictures to Crutchfield. Will see what they say.

It's any light, but the more light.. the more visible they are... and it doesn't show at all when viewing at certain angles. One speaker only has it on one side. The other has it on the top, the back and one side. They sound great.  They will be primarily in a dark room with shut blinds so I can probably live with them. My concern would be resale value if I ever want to upgrade or if I ever move and they need to sit in a well lit room.

I would think other people would have this issue if its a manufacture / assembly issue. Anyone else have the 8000fs with this?

On 5/18/2019 at 6:06 PM, fmalloy said:

It looks like some kind of wide strap was put around the speakers maybe to secure them to a hand truck or something?

There are three styrofoam holder thingys in the box, one is a cap on the top of the speaker, one is a cap on the bottom, and one goes around the middle.  Just based on what little I have seen I would assume that the styrofoam support that goes around the middle caused this, maybe the vinyl finish wasn't cured then pressure was applied, who knows.  There should have been a plastic bag around the speakers so the styrofoam doesn't rub on them otherwise something like this is probably much more likely.  

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

There are three styrofoam holder thingys in the box, one is a cap on the top of the speaker, one is a cap on the bottom, and one goes around the middle.  Just based on what little I have seen I would assume that the styrofoam support that goes around the middle caused this, maybe the vinyl finish wasn't cured then pressure was applied, who knows.  There should have been a plastic bag around the speakers so the styrofoam doesn't rub on them otherwise something like this is probably much more likely.  

Makes more sense, thanks.