SMWM or Imperial?

Ziggurat

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Did bi-amping and could not get it to work right :( 

I can only imagine. So now you have decided you are going to dump those worthless anti Forte 510's my way right? I will even give you a 100% profit and pay shipping too because I am a nice guy.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dave A said:

you are going to dump those worthless anti Forte 510's

Dave,

Sorry but AHall got them ... he had been chasing them for months :D  

Haha; got rid of the Forte's also ... trying CF-3's now :) 

Cheers, Emile

1 minute ago, Emile said:

Dave,

Sorry but AHall got them ... he had been chasing them for months :D  

Haha; got rid of the Forte's also ... trying CF-3's now :) 

Cheers, Emile

So those are the latest flavor of the day speakers? What exactly are you seeking for?

• Like 1

Just now, Dave A said:

So those are the latest flavor of the day speakers? What exactly are you seeking for?

It's just for my small (12x12) extra stereo room I use for experimentation. Used to my KPT-904's, so the Forte's did not come close. Therefore experimented with Forte's + K-510's which I could never "match."  Then tried the K-510's with 18" JBL bass-bins and a 775wpc Crown amp.  Sounded good, but just WAY TOO MUCH for that small room :(  So; got some CF-3's ... so far I'm impressed :D 

Just now, Emile said:

It's just for my small (12x12) extra stereo room I use for experimentation. Used to my KPT-904's, so the Forte's did not come close. Therefore experimented with Forte's + K-510's which I could never "match."  Then tried the K-510's with 18" JBL bass-bins and a 775wpc Crown amp.  Sounded good, but just WAY TOO MUCH for that small room :(  So; got some CF-3's ... so far I'm impressed :D 

So true. I had a set of Forte II's which sold last Sunday. The guy came over and he saw the S-MWM and the reworked rebuilt LSI's. I told him he could listen to them AFTER he made the decision to buy or not buy the Forte's. Those Forte's were sweet sounding speakers as much as the little bitty things could be by comparison. Before I fired the big boys up I told him it was not an attempt to up sell him since they weren't for sale. He left happy with his Fortes and amazed at the larger sound stage which he admired but did aspire to have.

• Haha 1

On 5/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, Ziggurat said:

Is there any other easily recommendable horn bass bin that goes low, but maybe tucks up a bit nicer than MWMs and their derivatives?  Does anyone know just how low an Imperial actually goes?  I hear tell of 20hz, but I'm dubious.

Here's YOUR answer. It's a modified MWM and Flat to 50 Hz. Contact Tromprof on this site. He has 7 of them. I designed the Quarter Pie AND Dave's SMWM. The Qpie is 40% smaller than an MWMs but only gives up 5 Hz. on the bottom end. It take a little bit more space than a LaSCala, but not much. Just use a Coffee Table Sub below that to 20 Hz and you are good to go.

On 5/22/2019 at 11:46 AM, Marvel said:

You could contact Dana Moore at Soniphase... he has some horn cabinets and plans that are nice. Greg Roberts used to speak highly of one of his models. A little more space friendly.

Bruce

Thanks.. have begun looking into the Soniphase J2 as a Jube alternative.  Will let you know how I go. 

@Ziggurat where are you located? I have the 942 setup currently and it puts a smile on my face everytime I crank it. I have considered finding some Lascala bins for my 402's also just to hear the difference. If your close your more than welcome to stop by for a listen.

3 hours ago, Ziggurat said:

Thanks.. have begun looking into the Soniphase J2 as a Jube alternative.  Will let you know how I go. 

I will add, that you will find more support for the Jube's, and overall it will be a more engineered product. It's just that you were looking at options.

5 hours ago, rockhound said:

@Ziggurat where are you located? I have the 942 setup currently and it puts a smile on my face everytime I crank it. I have considered finding some Lascala bins for my 402's also just to hear the difference. If your close your more than welcome to stop by for a listen.

Thanks for the input there. I am in New Zealand - hows about I drop in for coffee and a listen on Saturday Morning 🙂 (wish i could!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rockhound said:

LOL!

Since we are on the 942 subject, can you tell me what model woofers they are using? Many thanks. 

PS: my coffee machine is possibly better than yours, so why not come here instead?  🙂

Edited by Ziggurat

I've decided I've been over-cooking this whole thing. I'm going to stick to standard MWMs and add a sub if needed. They are going to be an improvement on what I have, of that I am certain. Will probably go for a two singles per side. When I kick this off I will throw up some pics. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

You will love them. Best advice is still to hear someones setup first although few of us really elect to do that. Building these is worthwhile and since I doubt you have any close to hear building will save you $$$.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

You will love them. Best advice is still to hear someones setup first although few of us really elect to do that. Building these is worthwhile and since I doubt you have any close to hear building will save you $$$.

Can you make me a hi - res youtube vid of yours? Close as I will get, I fear 🙂

1 hour ago, Ziggurat said:

Can you make me a hi - res youtube vid of yours? Close as I will get, I fear 🙂

At one time I made a high res recording of my LaScalas using different stereo microphone setups. Finally had one that matched pretty well on good headphones  to what they sounded like in the room.