SMWM or Imperial?

Ziggurat

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

Seriously are you looking for plans?  MWM and SMWM are out there. There is also a ton of other builds at http://diyaudioprojects.com/

I have the plans thanks 🙂

I bought Klipschorns and Altec 19s without ever having heard them other than on youtube. Call me idiotic, but I can gather a fair amount about a speaker's 'personality' on some of the better vids - enough to say I wasn't surprised by the sound of either speaker system once I hooked them up.

(ducking for cover, waiting for the ridicule to arrive)

In all reality though, if these are better than Khorns and Altec 19's, in a similar vein, I dont think I can go wrong, eh. 

But if you wanted to do me a video.... it would help psychologically mollify me lol 🙂

Edited by Ziggurat

6 hours ago, glens said:

He wants to hear yours without traveling there to do so. 

Have you addressed "connectivity" to the shop?

Wouldn't matter since all I get is ATT's really super crappy DSL and they cap it at 75 to 83kbs upload download speeds at best. They are worthless pieces of ---- in my book and I can't begin to express here my utter contempt and loathing for the pathological liar running that outfit.

I think our AT&T DSL was upwards of 190 kb/s (bits, not Bytes) down but was very asymmetricral. Maybe 25 up.  The thing I hate worst about them is a few years ago they had me drive an hour each way to spend a few hours taking tests, then sit for a couple hours waiting for an interview for a field tech. position.  After some time had passed I called the guy who'd called me to do that stuff, checking on the status of the position, and he told me it had already been filled before they had me do all that!  They merely wanted me for "pool" fodder...  I asked him "Where do I send the bill?" and that was the end of that.

Got a fiber feed now, 100 Mb/s +, symmetrical.

With the MWM decision made, I'm going to need an amp suitable for 2 15" drivers per side.  Some of you are running Crown amps, which are accessible to me as new and second hand items. Anyone prepared to offer a 'minimum standard' Crown amp to shoot for? Cheers.

I use xli800's which have RCA inputs so you can feed directly from a PC if you wish or get an 1/8" to two XLRs as input and while you wont have as much volume as you would with a preamp which would boost input voltage. But

at 200watts per channel it will run you out of the room. I used one on a set of three way MCM 1900's with a passive crossover and never turned it all the way up except one time and that was with ear protection on. These MWM's are super efficient horns and need little to put out prodigious sound.

These xli800's were $225 last time I bought one earlier this year. It is a basic unit and does not have bells and whistles like DSP but it sounds great and watt for watt you cant beat the price and get good output. You can spend a lot more on amps6 and plenty of suggestions will help you do so but these xli800's have been good for me.

I would not consider anything other than pro line amps for these by the way. Best bang for the buck.

On 5/25/2019 at 7:17 AM, glens said:

checking on the status of the position, and he told me it had already been filled before they had me do all that

I am not surprised and the second I can dump ATT I will.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:09 PM, Ziggurat said:

Here are my options for SMWS or MWMS - interested in comments.

LP Short.JPG

Your first configuration shown above will get you a 30 db peak at 26 Hz, (according to the Room Simulation I did) whereas the other will NOT, so go for that one. The Horn rolls off at 32 Hz.so the room gain is your friend! I guarantee you will NOT/NEVER  need a subwoofer. As you move your chair closer to the Super MWM, you will flatten out the response if need be. But if you believe in the ISO curve, you will be perfect where you drew your chair. You can aim the treble horns more inward to change the imaging separately from the bass bins. So I say go for the Super MWM/K402 combo, you won't regret if if you don't have to move them ever. Aside from that, you will AMAZE your friends with the KILLER SOUND using small amplifiers, but you gotta have Time Delay on the K402/driver between 6-7 milliseconds!

8 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Your first configuration shown above will get you a 30 db peak at 26 Hz, (according to the Room Simulation I did) whereas the other will NOT, so go for that one. The Horn rolls off at 32 Hz.so the room gain is your friend! I guarantee you will NOT/NEVER  need a subwoofer. As you move your chair closer to the Super MWM, you will flatten out the response if need be. But if you believe in the ISO curve, you will be perfect where you drew your chair. You can aim the treble horns more inward to change the imaging separately from the bass bins. So I say go for the Super MWM/K402 combo, you won't regret if if you don't have to move them ever. Aside from that, you will AMAZE your friends with the KILLER SOUND using small amplifiers, but you gotta have Time Delay on the K402/driver between 6-7 milliseconds!

Wow, thanks for that Claude - really do appreciate the effort there. Something more to think on 

On 5/29/2019 at 2:32 AM, Ziggurat said:

With the MWM decision made, I'm going to need an amp suitable for 2 15" drivers per side.  Some of you are running Crown amps, which are accessible to me as new and second hand items. Anyone prepared to offer a 'minimum standard' Crown amp to shoot for? Cheers.

I guess you don't want to go as low as a Super MWM, then eh? Ask DaveA about what the extra 15 Hz. down low does for him, since he has had both of them in his shop. Putting them in YOUR room will be an even better situation, since you don't have such a big space to fill an you can sit in a sweet spot rather than walk around.

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I guess you don't want to go as low as a Super MWM, then eh? Ask DaveA about what the extra 15 Hz. down low does for him, since he has had both of them in his shop. Putting them in YOUR room will be an even better situation, since you don't have such a big space to fill an you can sit in a sweet spot rather than walk around.

They are not even remotely close.

On 6/3/2019 at 6:12 AM, Ziggurat said:

Wow, thanks for that Claude - really do appreciate the effort there. Something more to think on 

Go with the Nike phrase "Just do IT" as opposed to the "Paralysis of Analysis."

29 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Go with the Nike phrase "Just do IT" as opposed to the "Paralysis of Analysis."

I like that Claude.

Why not, after all. I might knock up a cheap MDF pair. Then if I have to scrap them I won't feel so bad.

9 hours ago, Ziggurat said:

I like that Claude.

Why not, after all. I might knock up a cheap MDF pair. Then if I have to scrap them I won't feel so bad.

The horn doesn't care what materials you use, it will perform the same. Big Horns with Small Amplifiers pave the road to Sonic Heaven.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...