Found this old thing just sitting around at the speedway.

Davis

My little brother and a group of his classmates at USNA, aka Annapolis, class of '75 are attending the race for the 40th consecutive year.  Through one of his sons, who is connected in the sports media world, the Speedway was made aware of this loyal group of veterans.  Apparently, arrangements have been made to recognize them by meeting Johnny Rutherford and touring the garage area on Carb Day, Friday.  Coincidentally, Rutherford won the second year they attended as a group (Emerson Fittipaldi won the first year).

I'm planning to record any and all TV coverage, hoping to see some reference to the group, if only as filler during a caution -- or, God forbid -- a rain delay on race day.

• Like 2

• Moderators

It's like a very high tech high powered go-cart, everything it needs and nothing it doesn't. 

It would have to be the most fun car to drive if you had a chance, even at half power.

• Like 1

I first attended the race in 1970 at age 16.  

Stole a STP plastic banner off a chain link fence somewhere around the speedway.  

When I put it in my bedroom it completely occupied one of the walls.  

Didn't realize what a 8'X16' banner would do when you brought it indoors.  

Kept it in my room until I was out of college and my mom made me finally clean up the place...  

15 hours ago, Davis said:

IMS0.jpg

My brother Dave is a spotter for SPM.

15 hours ago, Davis said:

The Indy Pole sitter for 2019.

IMS1.jpg

He spotted for Simon back when he raced for SPM....says he's a genuinely nice guy. Nice pics Davis.

14 hours ago, DizRotus said:

My little brother and a group of his classmates at USNA, aka Annapolis, class of '75 are attending the race for the 40th consecutive year.  Through one of his sons, who is connected in the sports media world, the Speedway was made aware of this loyal group of veterans.  Apparently, arrangements have been made to recognize them by meeting Johnny Rutherford and touring the garage area on Carb Day, Friday.  Coincidentally, Rutherford won the second year they attended as a group (Emerson Fittipaldi won the first year).

I'm planning to record any and all TV coverage, hoping to see some reference to the group, if only as filler during a caution -- or, God forbid -- a rain delay on race day.

That's awesome. The local news covers a lot of these groups, very interesting. A couple years ago a 104 year old man claimed to have attended 90 races. I've been to probably 30 races, but not all in a row. I do remember this guy from 2 years ago....https://www.wthr.com/article/race-fan-has-seen-70-indy-500-races-in-a-row

6 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

@Davis did you see where Little Al got nabbed again? He does that every other year!

I saw that this morning. I hate hearing this.

I don't think he was on his way home from the Wild Cherry strip club this time like last.

He just spoke to a group of school kids about alcohol and his problems with it.

I wish he could get the help he needs.

At one time I was a big fan of his, when he was married to Shelly and he seemed to be having fun in life.

Then a few years later I saw him in the garage interacting with some fans and he was a huge jerk.

Also used to always enjoy talking with his mom Wanda during the month of May

Haven't checked the Indy weather yet but I'm sure they'll find another "window" and get it in the books.  Love that place.  Soooo many great memories.  Now I'm wondering how much tarp to buy to keep the couches dry!  😂   😎

bleachers.jpg

• Like 1