K 510 size w/o flanges

Ljk

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Cannot get to my "other" pair ... kind of "build-in."  Guessing 5-6 inches.

I seem to remember reading there a 5 inch depth, unless posted different I will go with that. Thanks !

• Like 1

You Guys are doing the  OP a disservice. He asked a simple question. I have a current version of the K-510 horn (the one currently sold and having the "mumps"). At the mouth the thickness of the material is 1/4 inch, The outside width is just shy of 15 inches. The outside height is just shy of 9 inches. 

The width from the center of the hole to the other hole center is 14 1/4 inches in width (the holes are near the end of the "flare"). The height from the center of the holes is 8 1/4 inches. (vertical holes are about a little over 5/8 inch from the center of the hole to about where the flare ends)

The depth (from the face of the mouth to the back of the throat is 5 inches). 

I hope this helps. It sounds like you have a project in mind. Please note that the K-510 horn (current version) is quite light. If you had a heavy driver mounted to the throat and the mouth mounted to the baffle, you might damage the face of the horn (the mouth-flange). 

Good Luck,

-Tom

4 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

You Guys are doing the  OP a disservice. He asked a simple question. I have a current version of the K-510 horn (the one currently sold and having the "mumps"). At the mouth the thickness of the material is 1/4 inch, The outside width is just shy of 15 inches. The outside height is just shy of 9 inches. 

The width from the center of the hole to the other hole center is 14 1/4 inches in width (the holes are near the end of the "flare"). The height from the center of the holes is 8 1/4 inches. (vertical holes are about a little over 5/8 inch from the center of the hole to about where the flare ends)

I hope this helps. It sounds like you have a project in mind. Please note that the K-510 horn (current version) is quite light. If you had a heavy driver mounted to the throat and the mouth mounted to the baffle, you might damage the face of the horn (the mouth-flange). 

Good Luck,

-Tom

Dang Tom, I just went to get a tape measure, came back and saw your post. And yes it's 5 inches. Subtracting the thickness of the plastic it's 4.75 inches. And it measures like it would fit into a 13 1/2 by 7 inch cut out.

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Dang Tom, I just went to get a tape measure, came back and saw your post. And yes it's 5 inches. Subtracting the thickness of the plastic it's 4.75 inches. And it measures like it would fit into a 13 1/2 by 7 inch cut 

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

Good Luck,

-Tom

Thanks Tom your help is much appreciated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MenloBob said:

What are you building Lkj? I have a k510 project in progress as well. K510s on top of 2x12 Eminence KappaLite LF drivers.

I am trying to a build a 510 replica for rears because of it's shallow depth, 5.1 system for music. I am hoping with the horn measurements I can use my touch screen laptop and create top and bottom rib/template of the horns curves. I toyed with mdf and   had some luck with making curved panels. I believe it's called a Kell cut, (maybe not) where you want the curve you cut  approx. every 1/4 inch the length of panel going almost all the way thur panel. Once cut the mdf can be easily curved, tried with plywood but had better luck with mdf.

If I can pull off making a decent/close 510 horn I will be using a single 12 kappa c to match fronts speakers kappa c 15's. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

I think you mean kerf cut. There’s some ebay horns with a thread on diyaudio that might be better than trying to copy k510s.

Ok thanks I will check it out. Using zxpc's RCL but there too deep for my rears.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 10:40 PM, MenloBob said:

Zxpc is the one I was thinking of. 

My front zxpc are 17 x10 and 11 3/4 deep - long throw. Looked at diy audio reommend zxpc are18 x 10 only 8 inches deep, OP stated Polars are similar to a k 510. I am going to try and build a k 510 this weekend, if it does not work out I am going to try the short throws . Thanks for the help Bob and everyone.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 10:20 PM, Ljk said:

My front zxpc are 17 x10 and 11 3/4 deep - long throw. Looked at diy audio reommend zxpc are18 x 10 only 8 inches deep, OP stated Polars are similar to a k 510. I am going to try and build a k 510 this weekend, if it does not work out I am going to try the short throws . Thanks for the help Bob and everyone.

Do you have a link to this thread? 

1 hour ago, AHall said:

Do you have a link to this thread? 

Do a search for - klipsch k 510 diy audio

Thread is - Smallest Footprint Horn and Driver that can reach 500hz 

Let me know if you find it.

• Like 1