scott integrated tube amp expert

Mila1924

Hi,

I'm looking to learn as much as i can about my scott lk 72 by asking some questions and just listening to someone who knows,  is there any tech or person known for being an expert with vintage scott integrated amps?

Matthew 

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

What do you want to know?

Maynard

General info,  

relatively speaker, assuming the builder and/or refurbishing is done correctly, are they know for being a strong and reliable amp?

Is the phono stage anything special? if so why?

any quirks they tend to have? so i can avoid making any mistakes

How complicated or simple are they to work on?

not super crazy queestions, like my post says, I just want to learn more about it. 

• Like 1

If the restoration was competently performed, and all the original solder connections were verified to be intact, the amp should be quite reliable.

The phono stage is not anything special (in my opinion) but performs well and is comparable to that of other amps of similar generation and price point.

All amps have quirks of some kind or another.  Don't worry about it.

They are easy to work on by a skilled technician, but are definitely not a beginner's project.  The voltages encountered under the chassis can kill you!

Hope this  helps out a bit....

Maynard

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 2:25 PM, Mila1924 said:

General info,  

relatively speaker, assuming the builder and/or refurbishing is done correctly, are they know for being a strong and reliable amp?

Is the phono stage anything special? if so why?

any quirks they tend to have? so i can avoid making any mistakes

How complicated or simple are they to work on?

not super crazy queestions, like my post says, I just want to learn more about it. 

In my 20 years of recent listening to tube phono sections the Scott implementation of 12ax7 is impressive for its day. Unless you visualize analog circuits at a high level and do not mind the risk of ruining the amp....get in line at NOS Valves for a rebuild from a technician with few equals.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...