Synergy (again)

luddite

I'm trying to figure this out, again.  

I had a McIntosh MC 7270 driving '89 Klipschorns (along with other sundry peripherals) in my  "big system" in the upstairs music room over the garage, and a MC 275 series VI driving McIntosh ML 1C's (with the MQ 101 eq) in the "small system" in my home office.  I moved the MC 275 up to power the Klipschorns, and tried a MC 2125 to power the ML 1C's downstairs.  

The preamps remained the same, C27 with the Khorns and C29 with the ML 1C's.  

Both systems were substantially improved:  the Klipschorns were much more defined, and filled the 32'X22' room.  

The ML 1C's also sounded richer and fuller.  

I do not consider my ears to be that discerning, but I definitely noticed the changes.  

What I don't understand is why a 75 WPC tube amp would sound that much better than a 270 WPC SS amp with Klipschorns, and why a 125 WPC SS amp would sound equally better than a 75 WPC tube amp with the ML 1C's.  

I know the Khorns are infinitely more efficient and "tube friendly" than the McIntosh's,and that the ML 1C's crave power, but is that all there is to it?  

Synergy between an amp and the speakers is critical.  In the design world we always start at the speakers and work backwards. 

For whatever reason, the combo of the Mac with the K-horns works for you.  It has nothing to do with power as you have determined.  Besides, 75 wpc is more than enough to satisfy all but the most extreme listening levels.

Enjoy it!

Maynard

21 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

Synergy between an amp and the speakers is critical.  In the design world we always start at the speakers and work backwards. 

For whatever reason, the combo of the Mac with the K-horns works for you.  It has nothing to do with power as you have determined.  Besides, 75 wpc is more than enough to satisfy all but the most extreme listening levels.

Enjoy it!

Maynard

There is always component interaction.  Key is, when you find something that works, leave it alone.

• Like 1