Choosing In-Ceiling Atmos Speakers

jinwithann

I'm in the process of finalize list of speakers to buy for an upcoming HT project. Only thing I have right now is AVR (Denon AVR-X4400H), display (LG B8 65") and a sub. My goal is to build a 5.1.4 system with potential upgrade path to 7.1.4 in the future, but the room is small, only measuring at 1200ft3. So I may not have necessary space or even see noticeable improvement over five channels. But that's for another day.

Here is my list so far.

• Stereo: RP600M
  • Center: RP600C
  • Surround: RP402S

I understand that many people prefer Atmos speakers in-ceiling, instead of bouncing the sound off ceiling with Atmos enabled speakers. I intend to go this route since I can't really use Atmos enabled speakers for the rear Atmos on top of RP402S even if I wanted to just go with something like RP500SA and call it a day.

My question is, do you think it is necessary (or beneficial) to go with Pro line for in-ceiling to timbre match with other speakers? Or do you think something like CDT series (3650 seems more than enough for my space) would match my rest of the system?

I know my only option to get Pro line is to go with professional installation. But since I lack the skills to install in-ceiling myself (I may be able to do the installation itself since it looks super simple, but I've never ran wires in the ceiling before and I may need some help with that) and will probably require installation service anyway, so this isn't a deciding factor for me. But the added cost of speakers themselves is something to consider.

I read a lot of debate about timbre matching surround system. Many seems to think it's not important as long as they have distinctively different sound signature and should only be concerned with fronts. Some thinks it's important so the moving sound feels as smooth as possible.

TLDR: Do you think it is worth going with Pro series in order to timbre match for Atmos use? Or do you think money is better spent elsewhere?

If I were you I would save a chunk of change and go with some of these Micca M-8C 8 Inch 2-Way In-Ceiling In-Wall Speaker with Pivoting 1" Silk Dome Tweeter (Each, White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YPS6T6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_n7y5CbK29A8Q0

You aren't gonna be able to notice a difference in timbre from the amount of sound that comes from Atmos speakers compared to your front stage and side/rear surrounds. 

I'd spend the money on a 5 channel integrated amp. 

Edited by TMatt

I hear a lot about timbre matching and frankly to my ear its a nonissue. I have LaScala AL5 fronts, a Zu Audio cube center (highly sensitive, very musical) and Sonance VP80s in ceiling-sounds great to me. Had to use ceiling for surround due to 14ft floor-ceiling windows on 2 walls.

• 1 month later...

The most popular ones are the CDT-5800-C-II.  The CDT-5650-C-II does almost the same thing especially for Atmos and saves some bucks.  The reference II like these are a little brighter than the new ref premier stuff but there is a tweeter attenuation switch that you can flip that helps quite a bit at least in my opinion.  

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters, you're probably the right guy to ask about this... the guys at Klipsch support recommended their PRO-180RPC when I asked them which in-ceiling speakers I should get for my Dolby Atmos upgrade that will work well with their Reference Premiere and RF7 ranges, which is what I ended up getting. So I've been wondering for a while now what the difference is between the PRO-180RPC and the CDT-5800-C-II. Are you able to shed some light on this, and which are the better match to their new flagship ranges?

Thank you.

Brendon

7 minutes ago, inMotionGraphics said:

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters, you're probably the right guy to ask about this... the guys at Klipsch support recommended their PRO-180RPC when I asked them which in-ceiling speakers I should get for my Dolby Atmos upgrade that will work well with their Reference Premiere and RF7 ranges, which is what I ended up getting. So I've been wondering for a while now what the difference is between the PRO-180RPC and the CDT-5800-C-II. Are you able to shed some light on this, and which are the better match to their new flagship ranges?

There's pros and cons.  The pro ones actually aren't supposed to be sold retail, especially not shipped to a customer who contacted you online, so I can't even get them, as they know I'll ship them to people.  They sound good and are voiced a little better, less bright up top, but you also lose the ability to pivot the woofer and tweeter which often comes in handy for Atmos.  Flipping the tweeter attenuation switch on the CDT's is the next best thing, plus they're easier to get for most people, and you retain the ability to pivot them.  

2 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

There's pros and cons.  The pro ones actually aren't supposed to be sold retail, especially not shipped to a customer who contacted you online, so I can't even get them, as they know I'll ship them to people.  They sound good and are voiced a little better, less bright up top, but you also lose the ability to pivot the woofer and tweeter which often comes in handy for Atmos.  Flipping the tweeter attenuation switch on the CDT's is the next best thing, plus they're easier to get for most people, and you retain the ability to pivot them.  

Wow, that's very interesting. Thank you for the clarification. I actually purchased them from my local dealer (physical store/show room) in South Africa - which is where I buy all my Klipsch and Yamaha gear. I know they do high-end installations, so that is maybe how they got them. But also strange that Klipsch support would recommend a speaker that I should actually not have access to... unless that only applies in the US... 🙂

I must say, I'm very happy with these speakers, and I definitely don't feel like I need to angle the woofer and tweeter towards me. Since these appear to be a new model, I thought perhaps Klipsch had decided this was no longer a necessary feature, especially for effects speakers. Either way, they work great, and they pack a punch for what they are...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...