7189A tubes for Scott 299B

Ray_pierrewit

Can somebody please confirm that the Scott 299B can use 7189A tubes? I've found a matched quad of NOS Sylvania 7189A locally for about the same price as the Russian EL84M  that I'm currently using. Any opinions on the Sylvania 7189A? The gentleman also has cheap 6BL8 tubes for sale ($15 each), I think they are Marconi. Worth it? I would like to have a backup set of tubes for the future.

Many thanks,

Daniel

Buy those vintage 7189A tubes if you can confirm they are truly NOS the N stands for New. I say this because the definition of NOS has been abused to include used tubes for years. Yeah the 299B is a 7189 amp it can use the 7189A just fine. 

4 hours ago, NOSValves said:

Buy those vintage 7189A tubes if you can confirm they are truly NOS the N stands for New. I say this because the definition of NOS has been abused to include used tubes for years. Yeah the 299B is a 7189 amp it can use the 7189A just fine. 

Ha! Yeah, it's surely an abused term. The seller told me that he'd test them in front of me to confirm that they all test NOS.

Thanks for the reply Craig!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I ended up purchasing the quad of Sylvania 7189A for a good price. I had not noticed that the tubes are in fact two sets of matched pairs, both sets made in England. They are both labeled 7189A on the tubes, is there any reason this would not work in the 299B? Is there a preferred way of arranging the tubes? 

It will work just fine. Those are re-branded most likely Mullard made tubes. Sylvania never made tubes in England.  Either way they should be really good tubes. Do realize the 299B is not a plug and play amplifier when it comes to the output tubes they do require proper biasing when installed and periodically after that.    

• Like 1