How to complement two pairs of 600M for a 5.1 setup

Aydn

Hey everyone

I've been thinking (read "dreaming") about getting a 5.1 home theater setup for a while now. I currently don't have one at home, and I was saving for a full Klipsch setup.

I found a great deal on two pairs of RP-600M which I could not pass on. This was outside of my budget initially, but now that I have them, I need to do them justice. I am going to get a RP-500C or RP-600C as center speaker and need some advice on both a sub and a receiver.

For the sub, I am wondering whether a 120SW is enough for this setup or whether it's worth stretching to a SPL-120?

For the receiver - I have never owned one and I am lost on how to shop for one.

The setup will mainly be used for 4K movies, and bit of hi-fi audio listening. I still live in an apartment so I will never push the system to its limits, I just want something that's very easy to use for a novice, that works well with the setup and sounds great. My budget is around $500 for the receiver.

Any recommendations are well appreciated!

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

$500 budget for receiver you say, Onkyo TX-NR686 I say. Trust me, you won't find any better "bang for buck" receiver than that. It has all the modern stuff a receiver should have nowadays too. It works great with movies, but better with music. However, I recommend staying away from the AccuEQ. Alternatively, you could also look into Yamaha, Pioneer or Sony and see if you might want something there. You don't need to bother with marantz, denon, Arcam, anthem and such... Anything thats worth it from them is kinda pricy for most.  

Don't have any experience with the 120SW. I myself own a couple of r-115sw and I personally think they're great. However, for subs you might want to look at other brands than klipsch. Examples: SVS, Rythmik, Elac, Paradigm, Fluance. Might I also say that whichever sub you choose, think about getting two of them.

• Like 1

Thanks HenrikTJ

Are you saying that it would be best to get two 100SW instead of one SPL-120 for roughly the same budget? 

For the receiver here is what I am considering

Onkyo TX-NR686 as you suggested ($350)

Sony STR-DN1080 ($449)

Yamaha RX-A680 ($499)

Denon AVR-X3500H (I can get this one for $550)

I can also stretch maybe stretch for the Yamaha RX-A880 ($649)

I feel like the Denon could be good value for money

I have the Denon AVR-X3400H and I love it, I got it for 600 bucks and no tax but it just went on sale for 500+tax on amazon(there is very little difference between the 3400 and 3500). I tried the Onkyo TX-RZ620 before the Denon and I prefer the Denon by a long shot, Audyssey is leagues better than AccuEQ and the Wifi streaming on the Denon actually worked where the Onkyo one would always go out multiple times a song. As far as subwoofers go, GO DUAL. I have 2 SVS PB-2000s to go with my Klipsch RF-5s and RC-7 and i love them. For a small apartment I would think about going dual SVS PB-1000s. I think SVS subs are superior to Klipsch subs in every way. To save a few bucks on Klipsch or SVS contact @MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Edited by TMatt
  • Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 12:33 PM, Aydn said:

Thanks HenrikTJ

Are you saying that it would be best to get two 100SW instead of one SPL-120 for roughly the same budget? 

For the receiver here is what I am considering

Onkyo TX-NR686 as you suggested ($350)

Sony STR-DN1080 ($449)

Yamaha RX-A680 ($499)

Denon AVR-X3500H (I can get this one for $550)

I can also stretch maybe stretch for the Yamaha RX-A880 ($649)

I feel like the Denon could be good value for money

For those prices, the denon for sure.  

yes, two will always be better. However only one isn't at all "bad". If you really want the spl120, you could buy one first and save up for another along the way. sory for late reply