2way CornHeresy

Love the size of the Heresy, and my wife wanted my small Cornscalas smaller. 

I give you the CornHeresy. The design goal was for the same midrange horn, driver and crossover I use in my cornscala but smaller.

It doesn't dig as deeply as my cornscala, not by a long shot but the bass is still fantastic. The sound stage is wide and Deep.

2way

Eminence LFA12

Faital LTH142 (The big one) for the horn.

Faital HF140 for 500-18K.

I know some cross it as low as 500hz... Driver has been shown to be safe that low. The horn reports its freq response from 500hz to 18K, but suggests crossing at 800hz with a 12db filter. 

This is prob meant at full power, but I decided to use the recommendation and went with a 12DB. I asked AL to design a AP12-800 setup for this application. He had previously measured a 12LFA went I sent it to his for the Jub Clone crossovers. I believe Al describes it as a AP12 + a Zoble network.

IMG_2063.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_1983.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

It digs about as deep as a stock CWI. 44-46hz 

Dave Harris cur the baffle for me. 

Bob has something similar but does use the big horn. The big horn really adds to the cost but it was about fitting the biggest horn I could shove into a heresy cab. Bob crosses his at 1200hz which was like the old econowaves.  This could have been done at 500hz like bob does on his cornsclala but I was just being safe.  

Maybe the next version should be at 500hz. Mini cornscala. 

I think it’s 2” wider than stock but completely worth it. If you guys need I’ll grab  dimensions for you. 

I love that there are no screws expect to hold the crossover down.  

All drivers and panels bolt in. 

• Like 3

As an aside. Risers are from Bob and he makes a fantastic bracket to support the driver. 

Maybe we will decide to make a mini might and have accessible for all.  

With the same horn he uses for the big cornscala.  Prob need to be priced similar to cornscala kit but for some it’s not the price but the physical size.  

I orig built these for the wife/tv room. She hates the riser and as such STOLE my smalll cornsclalaa from me.  In hind sight the size of the cornheresy is a better fit for my small listening room. 

I like the low slung look but I agreee.  The forte as a kit would be fantastic to see.  New horns, new divers but same basic design. Was it the forte I that didn’t have the radiator ?  I think the forte with the radiator and the chorus are the great equalizers for cabinet size.  

6 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I’ve told myself that I’m done building speakers.  My DIY Super Heresys supplemented by TH subs are all I need in my small space.  Until seeing this, I thought only MEHs,  @Chris A @ClaudeJ1, could tempt me to make more sawdust. Addictions are hard to break.

Almost impossible if you keep coming onto this forum for sure.;)

Love those horns!  

• Like 1

to those of you thinking of building this: At 94.6 db sensitivity with an 8 ohm impedance, I would TWIN UP on those woofers in parallel to get 4 ohms,  and make the box approx. 2X taller, IF the box is to remain sealed.

With 106 db sensitivity of the driver/horn combination, it's a lot of padding down of that driver to bring balance it with the existing single woofer.

My Super Heresy's have a much more efficient driver with a stronger magnet and use the output of both sides of the cone via port tuning and corner/wall proximity. Since you are building a new box anyway, why not raise the mid/tweeter closer to ear level while upping the woofer output to a much closer level to the compression driver/horn combo. Plus, those Eminence woofers are really affordable and the lumber per square foot is the cheapest thing, since the labor to set up the cuts is about the same.

The increase in clarity via lower distortion of the double woofer cones would also be of benefit while drawing more "near zero distortion" power from the amplifiers, which nowadays are optimized for 4 ohm loads anyhow.  Plus, Two 12's is like an 18" woofer in terms of Sd, BUT, since you have TWO motors moving the smaller cones, you get much better transient response!! Just my opinion based on realizable technical data.

2 hours ago, DizRotus said:

I’ve told myself that I’m done building speakers.  My DIY Super Heresys supplemented by TH subs are all I need in my small space.  Until seeing this, I thought only MEHs,  @Chris A @ClaudeJ1, could tempt me to make more sawdust. Addictions are hard to break.

@DizRotus You need to get here and hear my MEH's in the smaller space. Bring a Lobster Bib for the Drool. Craft Beer optional! Super Cornwalls still on the drawing board. Almost done with the Super Heresy 2.0.