2way CornHeresy

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

@DizRotus You need to get here and hear my MEH's in the smaller space. Bring a Lobster Bib for the Drool. Craft Beer optional! Super Cornwalls still on the drawing board. Almost done with the Super Heresy 2.0.

It’ll happen this summer, but time is so fleeting.

5 hours ago, Blvdre said:

Doesn't pattern control of a horn usually suffer near/at the lower cutoff? 800 Hz was probably a good choice, especially since it's Faital's recommendation.

The HF140 driver recommends a 900Hz cut-off, the horn recommends 800Hz. The horn measurement mentions in full space.

Both driver and horn show frequency response from 500Hz-18kHz. I think if one doesn't plan on running 70 watts through them, a 500Hz cut-off is probably fine, considering

listening in the home environment would be in the milliwatts.

• Like 2

Relative to my earlier question about frequency response shaping, that horn just looks to me like it has certain "constant directivity" characteristics which seem to be opposed to more "constant response" qualities.  I'm a believer in constant directivity (or constant control) so that's not a denigration on my part, but that typically requires shaping the signal to restore/produce a flatter-response output.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 2:31 PM, justinsweber said:

It digs about as deep as a stock CWI. 44-46hz 

Dave Harris cur the baffle for me. 

Bob has something similar but does use the big horn. The big horn really adds to the cost but it was about fitting the biggest horn I could shove into a heresy cab. Bob crosses his at 1200hz which was like the old econowaves.  This could have been done at 500hz like bob does on his cornsclala but I was just being safe.  

Maybe the next version should be at 500hz. Mini cornscala. 

I think it’s 2” wider than stock but completely worth it. If you guys need I’ll grab  dimensions for you. 

I love that there are no screws expect to hold the crossover down.  

All drivers and panels bolt in. 

700 Hz. would be as low as I'd want to go to keep the Xover point above the 620 Hz. resonance of the driver, but that's just me, since I do listen to what Roy says on occasion............

Also, I would go for the 16 Ohm version since it would further reduce the voltage sensitivity, allow for the use of smaller value capacitors, and use less attenuation in the Autoformer. Twin 8 ohm woofers in parallel, coupled with 16 Ohm mid-tweeter driver would make a KILLER, TALLER box!!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:54 AM, justinsweber said:

Love the size of the Heresy, and my wife wanted my small Cornscalas smaller. 

I give you the CornHeresy. The design goal was for the same midrange horn, driver and crossover I use in my cornscala but smaller.

It doesn't dig as deeply as my cornscala, not by a long shot but the bass is still fantastic. The sound stage is wide and Deep.

2way

Eminence LFA12

Faital LTH142 (The big one) for the horn.

Faital HF140 for 500-18K.

IMG_2063.jpg

Nice build! Just curious about your choice on the Faital Pro driver have you compared these to the B&C drivers like what Klipsch uses? I'm thinking about building a 2-way like this using a Chorus 1 cabinet and woofer kind of like your smaller CornScala what I was hoping to do was make it more like the KI-396 with the k-510 horn and k-691 driver or from what I've read the B&C-75 driver is the same. The B&C drivers have a 2" exit compared to the 1.4" exit on the Faital Pro driver I wonder how much of a difference that makes? Any input would be appreciated thanks! 

18 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Nice build! Just curious about your choice on the Faital Pro driver have you compared these to the B&C drivers like what Klipsch uses? I'm thinking about building a 2-way like this using a Chorus 1 cabinet and woofer kind of like your smaller CornScala what I was hoping to do was make it more like the KI-396 with the k-510 horn and k-691 driver or from what I've read the B&C-75 driver is the same. The B&C drivers have a 2" exit compared to the 1.4" exit on the Faital Pro driver I wonder how much of a difference that makes? Any input would be appreciated thanks! 

I’ll in progress on a build with K510s on top of 2x12 Kappalite LF drivers in a sealed bass bin. Two way active crossover. Should have them moving air tomorrow..

AB0459AD-623E-48A8-B689-327E054983FA.jpeg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, jjptkd said:

For a 2way, finding a horn that goes low well and high is sometimes difficult. At 1200hz on up.... not hard and it was called the econowave. You can use 1" drivers from Dayton and Selenuim. 

But to go lower than 1200hz ... 1.4" or 2" drivers become needed. 

I know the JBL 2380 can do it but needs some EQ in the HF. Im not really sure what other horns would do it... Dave's Eliptrac is so special as its a 2" horn that could do 500hz to 18khz without Eq or issues. 

The next best choice is the Fatial LTH142... its a 1.4" horn. I have loved B&C drivers... the DE85 and the DE750 come to mind for 2way but need a 2" horn. As the Fatial is 1.4" I used the most logical 1.4" I could find :-). 

This project was expensive... Could have build a cornscala for nearly the same money... Extra plywood was the only real additional cost. This wasn't done as I wanted a smaller speaker to fit my new smaller room. Although the LF12 is 94db which is much lower than a K22. It still makes for a very very efficient speaker which digs lower than any stock Heresy and without the bass hump or porting. 

That said, lots of paths... many good ones. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In a two way a 1.4" or 1.5" compression driver usually will give good top end with little or no EQ at all where a 2" exit driver will require EQ to provide good top end. If you have high frequency hearing loss then you could get away with a 2" exit comp driver but your friends will find it on the dull side. Probably fine for garage speaker though. A tractrix horn which will focus the highs will help matters and might get you out to 13 - 14KHz. on axis.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, justinsweber said:

For a 2way, finding a horn that goes low well and high is sometimes difficult. At 1200hz on up.... not hard and it was called the econowave. You can use 1" drivers from Dayton and Selenuim. 

But to go lower than 1200hz ... 1.4" or 2" drivers become needed. 

I know the JBL 2380 can do it but needs some EQ in the HF. Im not really sure what other horns would do it... Dave's Eliptrac is so special as its a 2" horn that could do 500hz to 18khz without Eq or issues. 

The next best choice is the Fatial LTH142... its a 1.4" horn. I have loved B&C drivers... the DE85 and the DE750 come to mind for 2way but need a 2" horn. As the Fatial is 1.4" I used the most logical 1.4" I could find :-). 

This project was expensive... Could have build a cornscala for nearly the same money... Extra plywood was the only real additional cost. This wasn't done as I wanted a smaller speaker to fit my new smaller room. Although the LF12 is 94db which is much lower than a K22. It still makes for a very very efficient speaker which digs lower than any stock Heresy and without the bass hump or porting. 

That said, lots of paths... many good ones. 

I wasn't being critical of your choice, just offering a taller alternative for those who can tolerate the cubic feet and the cost. It's a nice speaker that more than meets your design goal. Good work.

• Like 1

Cluad,

I dint take offense... Ive learning there's no perfect choice. Building a new allows me to think Ill find it someday.

A double woofer would be amazing... might complete with a Cornwall... Much Narrower 

My cab is 17" wide, 14" deep and 25" tall. 

If you did a 2nd woodier assuming 14" additional.

You'd be at ~39-40" tall... A bit taller than a Cornwall but wholly workable.

That said, you'd still end up with a speaker 7" narrower which is significant. 

What would be the response curve... what's the bass output vs Kappa 15C?

Wiring in series vs parallel?

Getting ALK to do a version of this would be fun.

If all were equal the Eliptrac would be preferred, but it would make it heaver and wider. 

Using it would allow for 2" drivers instead of 1.4".

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 2:05 PM, jjptkd said:

I own the DE-75s as well, but you cannot use these with LTH142, because the throat is too small.

You could use a JBL 1.5 exit driver with some sanding of the horn throat > use a drill press with a tapered plug wrapped in fine grid sandpaper.

For those interested: This is a clone of the LTH142 for a fraction of the price.

The LTH142 is not a constant directivity horn, but it's less 'beamy' compared to a round Tractrix.

9-x14-Oval-Screw-On-Horn-for-1-3-8-Driver-Also-1-5-or-1-4-Exit-Driver-1.thumb.jpg.7d716a19caaac5eb372bd11985e14c45.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ARX said:

I own the DE-75s as well, but you cannot use these with LTH142, because the throat is too small.

You could use a JBL 1.5 exit driver with some sanding of the horn throat > use a drill press with a tapered plug wrapped in fine grid sandpaper.

For those interested: This is a clone of the LTH142 for a fraction of the price.

The LTH142 is not a constant directivity horn, but it's less 'beamy' compared to a round Tractrix.

9-x14-Oval-Screw-On-Horn-for-1-3-8-Driver-Also-1-5-or-1-4-Exit-Driver-1.thumb.jpg.7d716a19caaac5eb372bd11985e14c45.jpg

I have a pair of those I don't need. I have drivers too. PM me for details.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:09 PM, justinsweber said:

Cluad,

I dint take offense... Ive learning there's no perfect choice. Building a new allows me to think Ill find it someday.

A double woofer would be amazing... might complete with a Cornwall... Much Narrower 

My cab is 17" wide, 14" deep and 25" tall. 

If you did a 2nd woodier assuming 14" additional.

You'd be at ~39-40" tall... A bit taller than a Cornwall but wholly workable.

That said, you'd still end up with a speaker 7" narrower which is significant. 

What would be the response curve... what's the bass output vs Kappa 15C?

Wiring in series vs parallel?

Getting ALK to do a version of this would be fun.

If all were equal the Eliptrac would be preferred, but it would make it heaver and wider. 

Using it would allow for 2" drivers instead of 1.4".

Looks like MenloBob successfully went the double 12 rout with great results.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...