45 amps

guf

On Khorns, a Jeff Korneff 45 amp can sound splendid. I haven't heard one on LaS, but assume they are efficient enough to be a good combination. As most of us know, room size and SPL requirements may render the 45 unacceptable.

Thanks! yeah I'm kinda new. I have an Oliver Sayes 45 Korneff amp that  I tried in with my Hersey III, i thought it was great. I know people will say that all that matters.  Normally I use single driver Omega speakers with that amp.  They are all about the same sensitivity and all work well sitting near field which is most of my listening.And also understand that its not all about the sensitivity of the speaker.  Just curious if anyone else can get away with using only 2 watts. 

In my world 2 watts starts to approach high power territory.  And, you would be amazed at the sound of a flea power SEP with Klipsch speakers.  As I mentioned in your other thread, your Heresys on the desktop need such minuscule power that even 1 watt would give you as much headroom as you need.

Maynard

• Like 2

Well the whole reason I'm bring this up is I'm getting a Thomas Mayer 45/2a3 amp.  I'm trying to figure out how to use it. 🙄 in my main system.  I'm considering a a pair of Cornwall IIIs.  In the past the 45amp worked for 90% of my  listening on all my 95, 98 db/m s. That 10 percent where it was lacking was when It sounded SO incredible I needed a little more.  

1 hour ago, canyonman said:

I been using a Korneff 45 amp for years with my Khorns and nothing has ever sounded better to me. I had a 300B for years in the same set up then tried the 2A3, they did not compare to the 45 amp not even close... 

I agree and I regret selling my Korneff 45. I ran it with EML solid plate 45's. NOS 45's paled in comparison. If you try them you will be AMAZED. FWIW, I preferred the solid plate over the mesh plate.

2 hours ago, Schu said:

I am just wondering if there are sound signature differences between the two tube types beyond just the output.

That depends on whether the tubes are old NOS, or newer versions of 45 or 2A3. They all have their own sonic signature in there own way.

And it really depends on the circuit they are in, with the driver section being rather important itself. 

There are many variations of single-ended amplifier circuits using 2A3 or 45. Directly heated, or heated with DC...another subjective preference...

But I'll throw my opinion out...45 is little more euphonic than 2A3, with 2A3 more neutral sounding than 45.

This is with old brands of 2A3 and 45, like RCA and GE. The Sovtek 2A3 I have used were a little more neutral sounding than GE 2A3, with less euphonic sound than GE.

Figure room size as well...

• Like 1

I am running a 45/2a3 direct coupled two stage amp and it has stayed in my system the longest of anything. 45 EML mesh has been my favortite tube but also run 245 globes, 2a3 RCA, and various new production 2a3's. Lots of iron hiding underneath and damper diode rectifiers in the back.

image.png.cde0ebb8e87750b904da00093c646014.png

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Les Lammers said:

I agree and I regret selling my Korneff 45. I ran it with EML solid plate 45's. NOS 45's paled in comparison. If you try them you will be AMAZED. FWIW, I preferred the solid plate over the mesh plate.

I too run the EML 45 Solid Plates nothing I've tried comes close to them, they just do everything better...