Lowes and home depot kingsford charcoal is on sale!!!

mr clean

Its 12.99 this year not 9.99 for 2 bags but the bags went from 8.8 to 10 pounds each. I got  me six bags to get me to the forth of july and do it again. Then labor day I stock up to get me to the next spring. I use about 25 to 30 bags a year.

I'm lazy I use gas. lol. Except when camping, we'll have our little charcoal grill with us at the family campout in August.

Some years back when I was driving a chip truck (woodchips not potato chips) I hauled sawdust into Kingsford by the 53' trailer load.

About 30 tons of sawdust a load in this big  o'l beastie.

112.JPG

3 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Close enough.

Ummmm no:

Happy, Healthy grilling!

Kingsford ingredients

Kingsford sends a form letter in response to consumers' questions about the ingredients.  According to the form letter sent in August, 2000, Kingsford contains the following ingredients:

• wood char
  • mineral char
  • mineral carbon
  • limestone
  • starch
  • borax
  • sodium nitrate
  • sawdust

I use kingsford briquets for grilling and smoking. I add  wood for the smoke. Works for me! And so does harry soo. Only guy to ever get perfect scores in 4 meats in comp. And he was using a weber smokey mountain. I need long burning when smoking. Im no harry too though😎.

31 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I use kingsford briquets for grilling and smoking. I add  wood for the smoke. Works for me! And so does harry soo. Only guy to ever get perfect scores in 4 meats in comp. And he was using a weber smokey mountain. I need long burning when smoking. Im no harry too though😎.

Try using pure lump charcoal for both grilling and smoking.  Your food will taste much better.

• Like 1

I am a purist for lump charcoal, but if you make sure you have completely ashed over briquets, well, if you are at a relative or friends place, it can be dealt with, grudgingly.  Just don't make it your habit if you value your smoking and perhaps your long term health.  Harry who?  Enjoy, and be sure to slather and incorporate tons of high fructose corn syrup in everything you make.  You might just qualify for the Darwin Award hall of fame.  Oh yeah, use lighter fluid to start your fire, the added chemicals are necessary to make sure your children are retarded.

• Like 2

Walmart sells smaller bags (8 lb) of mesquite charcoal briquettes. And apple and hickory versions too. I have used the mesquite 3x, its superb in taste to ordinary charcoal. Grilled a rib eye, 2 half pound burgers, and some mahi-mahi tuna Sunday. Delicious.

And get this, the mesquite/apple/hickory is cheaper per pound than name brand regular charcoal.

Propane is convenient, but can't match charcoal for taste imo. Not even close.

37 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Walmart sells smaller bags (8 lb) of mesquite charcoal briquettes. And apple and hickory versions too. I have used the mesquite 3x, its superb in taste to ordinary charcoal. Grilled a rib eye, 2 half pound burgers, and some mahi-mahi tuna Sunday. Delicious.

And get this, the mesquite/apple/hickory is cheaper per pound than name brand regular charcoal.

Propane is convenient, but can't match charcoal for taste imo. Not even close.

Same crap, different sawdust.

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Nothing wrong with sawdust.  It's the binders that are the problem.  Unless of course the sawdust is from pressure treated lumber.  Then the cyanide is so welcome because there won't be any termites!

The sawdust I hauled into Kingsford was all fresh cut hardwood from a hardwood only lumber mill in Longview,Wa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I am a purist for lump charcoal, but if you make sure you have completely ashed over briquets, well, if you are at a relative or friends place, it can be dealt with, grudgingly.  Just don't make it your habit if you value your smoking and perhaps your long term health.  Harry who?  Enjoy, and be sure to slather and incorporate tons of high fructose corn syrup in everything you make.  You might just qualify for the Darwin Award hall of fame.  Oh yeah, use lighter fluid to start your fire, the added chemicals are necessary to make sure your children are retarded.

Calm down old-timer 😁! There are people who claim cooking meat on a grill will give you cancer no matter how you do it. I don't use fire starter. I use a chimney. Ive worked in a chemical plant for 35 years living in the middle of corn fields for the last 20. I use cell phones, eat food thats sprayed with chemicals, use blue tooth. spray my house with bug spray. etc. Of all the things we breathe you think charcoal is going to be the thing that kills me.  Also how would you know if they used pressure treated lumber in lump? Do you test it? Charcoal better get inline because guess what. The day you start living is the day you start dying. Also don't drink the water! Fish make love in it! Peace.  

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/lump-charcoal-vs-briquettes/

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cooked-meats-fact-sheet

• Like 1