Heresy 1 clean but needs refinishing

Fido

Found a pair of Heresy speakers locally for $360. The veneer needs to be repaired but the speakers components and grills look great. Thinking of using them as my rear surrounds - I'm now using Audio Engine A5s for that purpose -- Any opinions on picking these up and doing a nice veneer job on them and possibly updating the crossovers?

• Like 1

So I ended up buying the Heresy speakers for $405 on Ebay. I will pick them up tomorrow and post some pictures once I get them home. Already getting some new speaker terminals{banana plug style), some gasket material for the backs, maybe some egg crate insulation and will hook them up to hear how they sound or if I think they need new crossovers. Then I can play with preparing the cabinets to install some veneer and possibly wrap the grills in cane like I did with my Fortes a couple of years ago. Getting very excited about taking on this little project - hoping the Veneer job is fun to do as i have never attempted to Veneer anything.

8 hours ago, Fido said:

So I ended up buying the Heresy speakers for $405 on Ebay. I will pick them up tomorrow and post some pictures once I get them home. Already getting some new speaker terminals{banana plug style), some gasket material for the backs, maybe some egg crate insulation and will hook them up to hear how they sound or if I think they need new crossovers. Then I can play with preparing the cabinets to install some veneer and possibly wrap the grills in cane like I did with my Fortes a couple of years ago. Getting very excited about taking on this little project - hoping the Veneer job is fun to do as i have never attempted to Veneer anything.

The first thing you should do once you open the back is to re-tighten all the screws in the connector strip. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

The first thing you should do once you open the back is to re-tighten all the screws in the connector strip.  

The very first thing should be to clean all the contacts then you  can snug them down and enjoy. Since you are already there with your screw driver in hand plus as a bonus the speakers will sound better . 

12 minutes ago, moray james said:

The very first thing should be to clean all the contacts then you  can snug them down and enjoy. Since you are already there with your screw driver in hand plus as a bonus the speakers will sound better . 

would you recommend using Detox on all the connections? Also - I saw people that installed Dynomat on the outside of mid and tweeter horns - is there any benefit in doing that? and what about egg crate foam on inside of cabinets? any suggestions will be much appreciated

45 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

thanks for the tip - and what is the Super Heresy Mod?

2 minutes ago, Fido said:

thanks for the tip - and what is the Super Heresy Mod?

It's an update for the Heresy 1's:  new woofers, tweeters, new capacitors on the crossovers, and a change on the crossovers themselves to adjust for the newer, hotter setup.  You will spend right at the same amount as your Heresy purchase price for the mods.

I would say to listen to what you just bought for a month.  You will most likely be happy with your new purchase.  Plus, it gives you a baseline of what they were capable of before modification. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bkwa1959 said:

Here is a pair I just finished sanding and painting the cabinets,they turned out nice.

1C35C484-379F-48EA-BD10-C439C4D4BE3D.jpeg

Yours have black woofers.  The pair bought by @Fido are white.  I wonder what the difference is?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Klipsch-Heresy-Loudspeaker-Systems-Speakers-Working-/163697549130?hash=item261d225f4a%3Ag%3A0RYAAOSwE21c4fGR&nma=true&si=8SNVG93FzJwZcu%2FRq7NFMk9rD%2Bo%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The speakers were not that bad, they had some white paint on some of the edges and that came off with goof off and then after sanding the cabinets they looked fine.Then I put on 3 coats of paint and I was  satisfied with the results.

• Like 1

Those will look great after you refurbish them.

Regarding the “Super” Heresy mod, with your planned use as rear surrounds, I wouldn’t bother.  I’ve done two pair of Supers and am pleased with the results.  That said, IMO, the expense would not be justified by any benefits. Perhaps Claude @ClaudeJ1 would disagree.

Regarding the white woofer cones, clearly the magnet structures are Klipsch.  If Klipsch never provided white woofers, then they are recones.  Jim @JRH should know if white woofer Heresys were produced.  In any case, I wouldn’t be concerned.

13 minutes ago, bkwa1959 said:

Looks like the woofers have faded from being hung in a business with a lot of outdoor light and the speakers did not have their grills.

easy to fix that faded cone with a bottle of liquid shoe polish flashes off in no time and leaves next to no additional mass.