Heresy 1 clean but needs refinishing

Fido

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Those will look great after you refurbish them.

Regarding the “Super” Heresy mod, with your planned use as rear surrounds, I wouldn’t bother.  I’ve done two pair of Supers and am pleased with the results.  That said, IMO, the expense would not be justified by any benefits. Perhaps Claude @ClaudeJ1 would disagree.

Regarding the white woofer cones, clearly the magnet structures are Klipsch.  If Klipsch never provided white woofers, then they are recones.  Jim @JRH should know if white woofer Heresys were produced.  In any case, I wouldn’t be concerned.

Lower distortion, higher efficiency, more bass, better clarity, and lower crossover point to subs are the benefits. The VALUE of the results is subject to opinion and budgetary constraints.

Since I see a $60,000 Corvette in the background, I don't think budget would be the problem if someone wanted MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE from that little box, which is why I created the mod to begin with. Money be damned.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moray james said:

easy to fix that faded cone with a bottle of liquid shoe polish flashes off in no time and leaves next to no additional mass.

tried the liquid shoe polish and it didn't work well at all -- looks really bad now -- might have to replace the woofer because I cant live with things looking like crap even if people cant see it under a grill

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Fido said:

tried the liquid shoe polish and it didn't work well at all -- looks really bad now -- might have to replace the woofer because I cant live with things looking like crap even if people cant see it under a grill

I am very sorry to hear this and it is unfortunate. You could experiment with giving the treated cone a wet wipe with some thinner as that may even out the application. You won't harm the cone and you have little to loose since you say you plan to replace. The product label should indicate what type of solvent is used. I suppose since there is such variability between commercial products that I should revise my recommendation to well diluted liquid shoe polish say 20% polish 80% solvent and just to be extra safe test it out on some old non valued paper cone. This way you may have to apply more than one coat but that should eliminate any issue with a polish with a high solids content. I have used this method on pairs of cones which have gone different colours due to sun exposure and the pair no longer match, I have never had a problem.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:19 PM, Fido said:

May we see a photo?

IMO, those woofers began as white.  I do not believe they are sun faded formerly black woofers.  If they were, IMO, the liquid Leather Dye treatment (recommended to me by djk RIP) would have worked.  It restored my grey faded woofers to like new black.

I'll grab some pictures tomorrow and you can see what I'm dealing with. I don't really want to buy new woofers from Bob Crites if I don't have to. Planning on changing the speaker terminals on that speaker tomorrow to match the banana plug terminals I installed on the other one today so I can unplug my fortes and plug these two in and see how they sound thru my Mcintosh. I want to prep the cabinets so I can try to veneer them before dumping anymore $$$ into them 

18 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

That supports reconing as the explanation.

Are these really "white" cones or just severely faded "greyish" cones? This is a pure shot in the dark but if these were "flown" as the eye hook implies, maybe the grills were not used to avoid the grills hitting someone on the head. I have seen cones fade pretty much when exposed to sunlight / UV rays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fido said:

pretty screwed up - as if the papers dissolved withe the shoe polish

IMG_0113.jpg

This photo looks more like extremely faded  black cones, but I’m still not convinced.   As you suggest, the treatment seems to be dissolving the paper cone.  That was not my experience using Kiwi Leather Dye on a Klipsch woofer.

In any case, if they were mine, I’d still use the Kiwi product suggested by Dennis.  With  the Kiwi Leather Dye, I would try to even it out.  At this point, what have you to lose?

This might be semantics, but he recommended “Kiwi Leather Dye” exactly what’s shown above.  Liquid shoe polish could be something else entirely.

Good luck.

• Confused 1

That scary photo showing the paper dissolving has persuaded me that the sun did bleach those to look "white" in the first photo; they look grey in the later photos.  

What exactly did you use as shoe polish?  Was it Kiwi Leather Dye, or something else?  When I used the Kiwi Leather Dye on the Heresy woofers shown above there was not the slightest tendency to dissolve the paper cone or for the paper to ball up as it seems to be doing in the photo.  My guess is that the extreme sun exposure damaged the paper beyond merely fading the color, or the "shoe polish" was not the same as Kiwi Leather Dye (i.e., contained a strong solvent not in the Kiwi), or both.  Unfortunately, reconing the woofers, or replacing them, seems to be your best option at this point.  

In any case, IMO, irrespective of the cosmetics of color, the sun seems to have issued a death sentence to those woofers.

• Thanks 1

I used Kiwi liquid shoe polish --- bummer but I may just order some woofers from Bob Crites - they are definitely damaged - I don't know how much it costs to recon a woofer or who even does it near me.

Ouch!  

Hope it makes you feel better to know that I just paid $105 each to have the EV woofers in my HIPs re-coned locally.  If it had been necessary to ship them the cost would have been higher.  Had they been ordinary Heresy woofers, I would have ordered Crites replacements rather than re-coning.

Don’t beat yourself up over this.  IMO, the fatal damage had already been done by the sun.

27 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

Ouch!  

Hope it makes you feel better to know that I just paid $105 each to have the EV woofers in my HIPs re-coned locally.  If it had been necessary to ship them the cost would have been higher.  Had they been ordinary Heresy woofers, I would have ordered Crites replacements rather than re-coning.

Don’t beat yourself up over this.  IMO, the fatal damage had already been done by the sun.

I won't sweat it - this started as something for me to play with as an early summer project --- I've never done any Veneer work and thought buying some beaters would be a good place to play with restoring some speakers - I could bail on the project as I have very little invested in time  and effort but thats isn't my personality. I just ordered new Woofers from Bob and now need to decide if I want to get new crossovers for them, also - I already changed the speaker terminals to Banana Plug style and also have insulated the cabinets and weather sealed the backs and started prepping the cabinets for the new veneer. this could be another expensive project - or just a cluster f- - -

Update on the Heresy project. Stripped the Veneer of the speaker where one side was already half way off. I skimmed that entire side along with numerous other flaws in the cabinets. I removed the speaker terminals and replaced with some nice banana plug/bare wire terminals. Installed gaskets on the speaker cabinet backs and installed egg crate insulation in both cabinets. The cabinets were in pretty bad shape, worse than I initially noticed so preparing them for veneer has been much more work than I anticipated. I ordered new Woofers from Bob Crites and am thinking of ordering new crossovers from Bob and he suggested i also replace the midrange gasket that is between the horn and drivers while Im at it.  Ordered some red oak veneer and some red oak edge banding. Once the cabinets are looking really clean I will try my luck at veneering. Hoping that they turn out decent as I compare this project to building a boat - THE MONEY PIT - lol - already received some new Klipsche  badges from a seller on ebay and if the project doesn't go totally south on me I will fedex my speaker grills to the cane place in LA that did the grills on my Fortes - Getting a little ahead of myself here but no matter what I have been having fun and have learned a lot already.

• Like 1

I will post some pictures after I finish prepping the cabinets for the veneer - people say its has to be almost perfect before applying the veneer so since I'm in no hurry I will fiddle around with them until they look pretty smooth and ready to go. 

Latest pictures almost ready to start trying to apply veneer - cabinets have come a long way in a short time - woofers coming from Crites early this week. This project has been fun so far and continues to hold my interest but if the veneer job turns out poorly this will take the wrong direction quickly.

aaaaIMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0696.jpg

On 5/29/2019 at 6:42 PM, Fido said:

I used Kiwi liquid shoe polish

That is different than leather dye...

Even though you are replacing them, there is another option. Michael Colter used some black automotive paint, sprayed on very lightly. They looked great. Is it possible that the t/s parameters changed because of added weight of the cone? Probably... Enough to make an audible difference? Probably not.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/classic-coattm/17013

It stays flexible. You certainly wouldn't be using much to do two woofers.

Bruce