Heresy 1 clean but needs refinishing

Fido

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

That is different than leather dye...

Even though you are replacing them, there is another option. Michael Colter used some black automotive paint, sprayed on very lightly. They looked great. Is it possible that the t/s parameters changed because of added weight of the cone? Probably... Enough to make an audible difference? Probably not.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/classic-coattm/17013

It stays flexible. You certainly wouldn't be using much to do two woofers.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce for the suggestion but I already have new woofers on the way and they will get installed as soon as they arrive. The old woofers are looking very worn out and I would not trust that they would hold up very well. 

Finished Veneering the Heresy speakers and it was a lot of fun doing it. Even though they look great they are not perfect but not bad from where I started.

The woofers came in from Bob Crites and I plan on replacing the old ones in the next week and firing them up and seeing if I need new caps. 

Only bummer is the project is going faster than I anticipated and I was trying to have something to start the summer off - at this rate I will need something else to play with - lol _ found some stain that match my Fortes pretty closely and need to figure out how to finish them after the stain goes on. Any ideas?

aaaIMG_0701.jpg

Edited by Fido
additional question
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DizRotus said:

Excellent work.  I admire the skill and patience required to make speakers into fine furniture.  My patience and woodworking skills rely on Bondo, Duratex, and a foam roller.

thanks it was my very first time doing any veneering and its easy but a tad tricky if the underlying wood isn't perfect -- I installed the new Crites woofers today and will get them stained and see see if they are worth getting into the house or ???

aaIMG_0703.jpg

• Like 3

Im so happy with the way the Heresy project turned out and I moved them in the house to replace my Audio Engine A5 plus speakers for my surrounds! Wow - I had no idea they would add so much fullness to my system. They sounds so good I think I decided I will hold off replacing the crossovers for awhile and now want to get the cane grills made to finish them off. For me its visual as well as audio. Often I wish I could just worry about how something sounded but I'm drawn to sights and sounds. Anyways thanks for everyones advice and in short order I was able to incorporate them into our living space and am more than satisfied with the sound they produce and Bob Crites woofers sound great, too. Now withe the Fortes, the big HSU subwoofer, the strong Klipsche 450 CA center and the vintage 1979 Heresy I am one happy camper - playing this through my Yamaha AVR and Mcintosh hybrid integrated rocks throughout my house.

I'll post pictures when I get my cane grills for them.

came downstairs this morning and my wife was streaming some music already and told me the system was so much better now with the surround sound elements improved with the Heresys - She seemed shocked but said my Audio Engine speakers didn't sound as wide open and dispersed -- she was all excited about the new 50 yo heresy - whoooohooo

That looks nice! I like poly because it seals and protects, but I loathe the latex kind. It has to be alkyd (oil based) in my mind to be worth a darn. Also satin or matte, but that's just my preference, a couple of coats and you're done. Forever. I think it looks better than any gloss. I don't know if alkyd is available anymore especially since you're in CA.

14 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

That looks nice! I like poly because it seals and protects, but I loathe the latex kind. It has to be alkyd (oil based) in my mind to be worth a darn. Also satin or matte, but that's just my preference, a couple of coats and you're done. Forever. I think it looks better than any gloss. I don't know if alkyd is available anymore especially since you're in CA.

Thanks John for the feedback - My local Hardware store has oil based poly in satin finish - I like the idea of a couple coats and done forever!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Cool @Fido and that satin Minwax just has a glow to it, My H IIs from 1990 were raw birch I did that and they still looked the same when I sold them last year! You know the finish will slightly darken the stain but I'd bet multiple coats of tung oil would darken it a good bit more.

13 hours ago, lakedmb said:

They look great!  Are you planning to build any risers for them?

I am not currently planning on building risers for them as they are being just used for my rear surround fills. If I get bored that could change - lol

On 6/13/2019 at 7:46 PM, Fido said:

Thanks John for the feedback - My local Hardware store has oil based poly in satin finish - I like the idea of a couple coats and done forever!!!!!!!!!!

Plus the oil base version adds a "honey color" which will look fabulous.

• Like 1

As a commercial/industrial painter in my "last life" I'll advise you @Marveland @ClaudeJ1  that thinning any kind of alkyd with the solvent (get it? solvent) is bad. Solvent breaks it down and is for cleaning your gear. Penetrol is for the oil paints and varnish, I never looked for it. Polyurethane is pretty fluid and should not need thinning, not sure if the penetrol can be used in it. But if you destroy the chemical structure of a coating before application it won't act as it's supposed to.

decided they turned out so good I might as well replace the old capacitors and install new gaskets between mid range drivers and horns - will let everyone know if I can hear a difference

• Like 1

I often use Minwax Fast Drying poly (oil based), and they recommend mineral spirits or paint thinner. Never had a problem with it and have done it for years.

Or you can use boiled linseed oil... the organic poly.

23 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I often use Minwax Fast Drying poly (oil based), and they recommend mineral spirits or paint thinner. Never had a problem with it and have done it for years.

Or you can use boiled linseed oil... the organic poly.

My dad used boiled linseed oil on his marine plywood pedal boats. Built 16 of them that way as a paint undercoat. Those suckers lasted years that way.