Any commercial refrigeration folk around here?

Thaddeus Smith

I've got a True GDM-10 that was free from a store that I'm using for eggs and house overflow in my modestly A/C'd garage office. The door seal was old and stiff, so the cabinet would maintain temps around 40 degrees, but ice begain to form up in the fan shroud. So this smart guy replaced the door gasket today. Nice and pliable and now I've got a good tight seal. The problem is that now it's a freezer and with the temp dial on the warmest setting of 1, air temps from my hanging fridge thermometer still show around 20-25 degrees.

Quick googles show it could be coolant levels, or bad thermostat, or bad relays. I don't have a bulb installed at the top and I'm seeing that even a bad/missing bulb could cause this because of the heat put off by those things keep temps balanced. That would sort of make sense now that I've cleared up my air leaks (enough cold air was getting out or warm air getting in), but the ice in the fan shroud leads me to believe that the compressor never kicks off and the unit is just running too cold to begin with.

Curious if any pros here can help guide me without throwing a ton of money at this thing just to troubleshoot symptoms with multiple causes.

14 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

If I couldn’t fix it easily, I’d add an external temp controller and just switch the AC to the whole thing on and off.

That’s done with regular fridges and freezers for brewing fermentation purposes. No reason it couldn’t work here too.

I may just do that. Thanks!

(I've tinkered with some additional stuff this evening.. I switched the thermostat to it's off position and the cooler got down to about 3 degrees, soooooo...) It wouldn't be such a problem except that I've already got a chest freezer and I need this for my egg stockpiles, etc.

it's time for a cleaning... check the compressor and evap. fins... and clean... use air conditioner cleaner..

I think it's available at lowes.. home depot..spray and hose down...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/AC-Safe-Air-Conditioner-Foaming-Coil-Cleaner-AC-921/206740351

most likely suspect... dirty or clogged fins.. causes the compressor to work harder... and cause freezing ...or irregular temps..

and also check the evap hose.. that it's not obstructed..

I use this to maintain the wife’s freezer at the temp she wants to store food.

I was concerned about short cycling while maintaining 34-35 degrees but it’s been running for 4 years.

489A0EF7-DD53-4CCE-B73D-280B286E50E5.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll send a pm and probably look at the thermostat controlled power switch as well. It was a freebie so not looking to invest a ton of cash into it. Fins definitely need some cleaning so i'll do that and some other light maintenance.

• Like 1