La Scala Industrial split version, how to connect the hi-mid module to the low module?

Alessio

Hi there

I've just got hold of a couple of Industrial La Scala, split version.

I'm quite puzzled because, from the print near the connectors, it looks like i should go from the amp to the inputs on the hi-mid module and then from the lf-out to the woofer module.

But that way the woofer won't give any signs of life…

It works only when i connect it to the same input connectors, to which i connect the amp.

Is that the right way to do it? Am i missing something?

Is that a sign that there's some kind of problem with the signal path to the woofer?

Thanks for any help

welcome to the forum

i assume it works just like the klipschorns.

the crossover should have 2 screws each for the tweeter - midrange - woofer - input - which equals 8 screws

the bass bin woofer wire connects to the crossover thats says woofer

the amp wire connects to the crossover that says input

Well, these are a two-piece system.  It would seem likely that the passive crossover would be in the HF section, with a dedicated output to the LF unit (as was described).  By the same token, it would seem unlikely that the low-pass network for the bass bin would be built in to the bass bin.  I don't know what the arrangement is with these units so didn't respond earlier.  My guess is that the entire crossover is in the upper unit and both(?) are not working properly, with the direct hookup to the bass bins causing them to run full-range.  But I Don't Know...

Is the history of these speakers known?  Have they been modified?

It's pretty simple really, unless there have been modifications.  There are two pairs of connectors on the top HF module.  One is labeled input, and this is where the speaker connection from the amp is made.  The other is labeled LF out and this should have a speaker wire connected between it and the LF bin.  The entire crossover is contained within the HF module.  You shouldn't have to mess with it, unless it's already been messed with.....Once connected in this fashion, you should be good to go.

• Like 1

Ok, I have a pair of LSI Splits... you have them connected properly, unless, as mentioned above someone has monkeyed with the internals. Mine had been scrambled so badly when I got them I disconnected all the wires and resoldered them (without the fuses).

The fuses!

Are there fuses in the holders? Are they blown?

TEMPORARY fix is rolled up aluminum foil in place of the fuse. 

• Like 1

IN from amp on the top, OUT to bass bin on the bottom terminals.

On the WELL ENJOYED pair of LSI Splits I lucked into, the K-43 woofers were all but shaken loose from the four mounting bolts in the doghouse - something to check later on after you blast the cobwebs and mice rice out of them.

On another pair of LaScalas I had, the terminal clip on one of the K-33 woofers had broken free and would short out(!) on the basket the odd time after moving them around. ***** of a fix with a screw and nylon locking nut, but I will never worry about it happening again.

553239AE-7D28-4FEC-9932-B7EE738E33B3.jpeg

Guys, thanks a lot for all the answers.

In the meantime, i just took a quick look inside and there actually is a problem: one cable is cut, the same cable on both the cabinets.

It's the cable that goes from the LF out fuse to (i guess) the crossover…

I have no idea why is that.

The one who sold the speakers to me said he bought them new back in the days and that the salesperson told him to connect them that way.

I'm starting to doubt about that story…

If there's a techie out there reading this, could there be ANY reason to cut that cable?!?

18 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

If you hook them up properly as I described in my earlier post, do they work both from the HF and LF sections? 

No, if i hook them up properly, the LF section won't work.

HF section works just fine.

To have the LF working, i have to connect them to the input of the HF module.

Which is, i guess, like connecting the LF directly to the amp…

IMG-1946.jpg

Edited by Alessio

46 minutes ago, Alessio said:

Guys, thanks a lot for all the answers.

In the meantime, i just took a quick look inside and there actually is a problem: one cable is cut, the same cable on both the cabinets.

It's the cable that goes from the LF out fuse to (i guess) the crossover…

I have no idea why is that.

The one who sold the speakers to me said he bought them new back in the days and that the salesperson told him to connect them that way.

I'm starting to doubt about that story…

If there's a techie out there reading this, could there be ANY reason to cut that cable?!?

Depending on where (and which one)they may have been bypassing the fuse. Which if you intend on home use, may be fine to bypass. Splice the wires together and see if they work.

Take a few pics to confirm. I did this in my LSI splits when a fuse holder broke. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Splice the wires together and see if they work.

I'll try to reach the crossover in the next few days (need to open them up for good, now i just quickly unscrewed the connectors panel and the handle).

Then i gues i'll have a clear idea of what's going on inside, at least from a non-techie perspective.

Which basically means only seeing if everything 'looks' fine. 😅  

I expect to find the other part of the cut cable… in that case, i'll definitely try to reconnect them ;)

Edited by Alessio

they may have been bypassing the fuse. Which if you intend on home use, may be fine to bypass

Btw, here's a pic of the cut cable.

I don't' know if that's an effective

way to bypass the fuse, or the path is simply interrupted… 🤨

Anyway, the LF out doesn't work.

Whats-App-Image-2019-05-26-at-21-54-57.j

A long time ago there was a crumb bun out in the 'burbs at a flea market trying to sell some K-Horns.  He had cut the wires to the bass bins and claimed to know nothing..  Apparently the bass drivers were burned out and the cutting was to distract from that issue.

I can think of no legit reason to cut the wires you describe.  I understand your bass drivers are good. Let me suggest you open up the bins and check to see what is in there just the same.

Let me suggest checking the fuses too.

WMcD

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WMcD said:

Let me suggest you open up the bins and check to see what is in there just the same.

Let me suggest checking the fuses too.

The fuses are ok.

I tried to reach the woofers, but even when all screws were loose the bottom panel didn't come out… i saw a video where the guy says you need to apply some force.

I should use some lever of sort but i'm afraid of damaging the wood…

Edited by Alessio

Use a putty knife to break the seal.  It could take quite some time; be patient.  When you succeed in removing the access cover you will need to clean the gasket material from the cover and the bass bin before replacing the cover using new gasket material.

1 hour ago, Alessio said:

To have the LF working, i have to connect them to the input of the HF module.

Which is, i guess, like connecting the LF directly to the amp…

I agree.  To hook the LF up directly is bypassing the XO and the fuse.  I don't care about the fuse for home use but you don't want to by-pass the XO.

At least you know the woofs work.  I suggest you re-solder the LF connector wires back up.

+++

BTW, your questions further upstream ^^^ have been answered by several expert level forum members who specialize in LSI's.  I am not one of them, but you are in very capable hands here.

• Like 1

Depending on where (and which one)they may have been bypassing the fuse. Which if you intend on home use, may be fine to bypass. Splice the wires together and see if they work.
Take a few pics to confirm. I did this in my LSI splits when a fuse holder broke. 

And some lazy guy I know has a new fuse holder for you. Sorry. I will get it there. Along with a DAC.

1 hour ago, codewritinfool said:

And some lazy guy I know has a new fuse holder for you. Sorry. I will get it there. Along with a DAC.

This lazy guy wouldn't have done the fix yet anyway, so you're off the hook for now.

Heading to Michigan for a week, so don't hurry over, you wont find me!!

8 hours ago, wvu80 said:

BTW, your questions further upstream ^^^ have been answered by several expert level forum members who specialize in LSI's.  I am not one of them, but you are in very capable hands here.

Thanks everybody 👍

In the next days, i'll try to disassemble the whole thing and reach both the crossovers and the woofers (but unfortunately i'm quite busy, so it may take some time).

I'll get back at this thread as soon as i have something new to show you ;)

• Like 1