Khorn Bass

ryanm84

As it is very dry here, I get a lot of static shocks. Well one jumped from me thru my tone arm on my TT and now it’s like I’m missing action from the bass bin. I’m going to play some different music to check but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of air moving out the back. What should I check first? What is unlikely to be the issue? Thanks in advance for any ideas. Does my issue as stated make sense?

27 minutes ago, ryanm84 said:

As it is very dry here, I get a lot of static shocks. Well one jumped from me thru my tone arm on my TT and now it’s like I’m missing action from the bass bin. I’m going to play some different music to check but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of air moving out the back. What should I check first? What is unlikely to be the issue? Thanks in advance for any ideas. Does my issue as stated make sense?

Have you tried using another source other than the turntable?  It may not be the speaker fuses at all...lots of distance between the turntable and the speakers electronically-speaking

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Have you tried using another source other than the turntable?  It may not be the speaker fuses at all...lots of distance between the turntable and the speakers electronically-speaking

I have and it Seems like something is missing across the board. 

25 minutes ago, ryanm84 said:

I have and it Seems like something is missing across the board. 

I'm old now with a wrecked back, knees and hip-joints...so my attitude is the less heavy lifting and maneuvering around I have to do, then the better off I am...so I tend to look for something much easier to find the problem than maneuvering around a pair of K-horns...LOL!  But, I also understand where people NORMALLY look to find out the problem when it might be a fuse or circuit-breaker involved.  Because most of my "amps" are actually early-to-mid-70's H/K RECEIVERS...all of which have at least a  handful of fuses scattered thru them from the rear panel to under the hood and underneath the circuitry bottom panel, I FEEL THE PAIN!  LOL!  PLUS, they are all "relatively" HEAVY, themselves!  At least, though, I certainly have a large supply of the various fast-blow fuses I need for them...JUST IN CASE!  LOL!  Most of the forum members have absolutely NO IDEA HOW MANY of those receivers I actually ALREADY HAVE, either...but in the fairly near future I will have to be moving them all and will take pics to post here...and I'm quite sure that they will ALL be pretty surprised at what they see in those pics....ROFLMAO!  I can't even remember how many I have , MYSELF!  But I'm not looking forward to lugging them all around to load them and move them all AGAIN!  THAT'S FOR SURE!!!😟

• Like 1

I would guess static electric would jump from you to the turntable to the receiver, not the speaker.  It would take a LOT of electricity to take out a woofer.  I would look for the problem in the electronics.

I'm not an authority, check with others for a better opinion.

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I would guess static electric would jump from you to the turntable to the receiver, not the speaker.  It would take a LOT of electricity to take out a woofer.  I would look for the problem in the electronics.

I'm not an authority, check with others for a better opinion.

That's what I was thinking...maybe in the pre-amp section...a fuse/circuit-breaker blown there somewhere...most likely prior to reaching the bass controls, or immediately afterwards...who knows without checking, though!  It's so much easier when  you can just confirm by removing one item from the chain and replacing it with a similar one to narrow things down, somewhat!  That's the TROUBLE with TROUBLE-SHOOTING!  LOL!

I'm assuming you don't have a calibrated mic, and REW (free online).  What is "normal" for a Khorn bass bin, sealed in a nice corner, with plenty of boundary gain and room gain?  I don't know, but mine have a big (8 dB??) peak at 43 Hz, cross the 0 line ("flat," i.e., the amplitude they are at 1K Hz ) at about 33 Hz, and then tail off down to about - 10 dB, followed by a little dipper curl up right at the end, at 24 Hz, then the REW trace disappears.  This is phenomenally close to what High Fidelity Magazine got many years ago, probably with a different woofer (mine is a stock K33E).

I would unplug and replug every thing just to start. Could be there was something wrong before this happened ?? If low bass across the board probably has to do with pre amp I would guess. Need another receiver to test speakers. 

I cant believe just static did something but who knows.

It’s not clear to me what your symptoms are.  It seems at least one Khorn has reduced, or no, bass output since a static discharge from you to your tonearm.

If that is correct, do you get normal bass output using a different source, eg., a CD player, FM, etc.?  If so, the problem is not the speaker.

In any case, I would disconnect the suspect speaker at the amp and use  a AA battery to test woofer function.  Touching the speaker leads to the battery (polarity is not important) should produce an audible thump.  

As DizRotus suggest.... or if you have easy access to your equipment swap Left and Right speaker wires at your receiver and if the problem stays with the same speaker it’s definitely in that speaker.  If the problem swaps sides then check out the receiver.

miketn

ok I may have figured a little something out.  Rookie mistake by not turning the volume knob to the right. I put in a cd and the entire system roars to life. Like concert level 100 feet away ( my wife was outside by the pool with ear buds in and she heard Led Zeppelin loud and clear) and the bass bin response was quite a bit different. So based on that it is not the pre or the speaker.  After dinner and when the kids take the dog for a walk I’ll grab some vinyl and give the volume a healthy turn. I find it hard to believe that I have an issue with my TT but shall see. 

Thanks for the ideas so far. 

• Moderators

No matter what you find out and fix you might want to do something about the static electricity. I don't know what, maby a wire from the ground on the TT that you could touch before touching any other part of the TT?

Carpet in that room, some carpet is terrible for causing static electricity?