Need Help with Center upgrade/feedback

armathius

Hey all!

Need some help.  I have an older Klipsch surround setup.  I have KG 4.5s as mains, KG .5 pulling rear duty, Sub-12HG for bass, and a KV2 as center.  This is all being driven by a Yamaha Aventage RX-A820.

I don't think my KV2 is cutting it and an Icon VC-25 is being listed in my area for $100.  Would this a) be an upgrade, b) be a good match for my setup, and c) be a good price for this.  If not a good match, what would be a good center?

I would love any feedback you all have for my setup and any recommended upgrades.  Just doesn't feel like there is enough low end punch without the sub...

Thanks guys and gals.  Hope I gave enough info... Look forward to the responses.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 5/27/2019 at 6:23 PM, armathius said:

Just doesn't feel like there is enough low end punch without the sub...

I agree with Wuzzzer. 

But if you have everything set right you shouldn't get much punch without the sub, that's the whole plan. The sub provides the punch/bass and frees up the receiver's power for everything else. 

The center is the most important speaker of your 5 speakers,(not counting the sub) it has to do the dialog which is very important, bass from a center is not important really. The best center would be another KG 4.5 of something similar in performance in the KG line.  Usually, when you have a weak center it's very obvious if it matches well when the sound pans across the front the sound doesn't change and voices are easier to understand.

Welcome 

• Like 2

Thanks wuzzer and dtel!

I don't have the space to through another 4.5 in the front... they're pretty big LOL.  I'm not looking for incredible bass but something seems missing...

Good to hear from the pros though... I am still new when it comes to audio and really lucked out picking these speakers out when I was younger.  Looking to upgrade my sound... but not sure much out there is better than what I have.

My  research it looks like the matching centers are KV2 and KV3.  Some say the actual correct match is the KG 2.5. The KG 2.5 seems harder to find, but the KV3 can be had on ebay.  

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Do you have everything in the Yamaha set, like speakers set to small and the right crossover? Receiver settings can make a huge difference, just asking.

Pretty sure I do.  I actually factory reset it this past weekend to make sure any setting I may have messed around with in the past and forgot about were reset.  Surround and Center are set to small.  Mains I switch to see if I can see a difference.  Crossover is at 80hz.  I've run the YPAO... making sure the speakers are set to small once it's done.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Maby you're just getting used to the sound? The icon center may sound better/more clear than the KV2, just looking at both of them, it's all I can do I have not heard either one.

After you try a better center maby later get or build a better sub, there are many plans out there and people here will help with any questions or picking out a design. I would say a sub is the second most important speaker for HT, unless you have really weak mains which you don't.

One thing to remember also is to check the settings in your DVD or BR player to make sure your receiver is getting the best signal it can.

Sooo....

Being doing some looking for a 2.2 to use as a center.

During my search I saw someone selling a pair of Synergy FS3 for $80 so I nabbed them... can always resell if I don't like.

I was doing side by sides with my 4.5 to see which I like best and I realized that the back of one of my 4.5s rattle when at higher volumes/bass.  I did some researching and couldn't really find the best way to fix this.  Should I open these up and glue from the inside or use insulating tape on  the edge?  I think I could get the vibrating to stop with some spot glue on the outside, but am afraid this might be a bigger issue that this wouldn't resolve.

On the side by side it felt like the Synergy F3s had more mid-bass and blended better with my subwoofer.

I found someone selling a couple of 4.2s and an Academy center.  I think the 4.2s would be a sidegrade but the Academy would be an upgrade... he didn't have prices yet as he still had to pull down the rears that were mounted.

I want to upgrade the KGs but don't have the cash for the reference lines.  The F3 feel like they might be a slight upgrade for me.... but I am not sure... there is a lot of love for my 20 year old KGs :).

Thanks again!

Edited by armathius

• Moderators

I would remove some drivers and put some type of glue on the inside of all seams. It can not hurt it will tighten up the cabinet and seal it off, I would do both speakers

Why don't you start a thread in 2 Ch asking about sealing up some 4.5's, what type of glue to use, I know others have done something similar. It will probably have a little more traffic than in HT.

45 minutes ago, dtel said:

I would remove some drivers and put some type of glue on the inside of all seams. It can not hurt it will tighten up the cabinet and seal it off, I would do both speakers

Why don't you start a thread in 2 Ch asking about sealing up some 4.5's, what type of glue to use, I know others have done something similar. It will probably have a little more traffic than in HT.

Done.  TY!  What do you think of the KG 4.5 vs Synergy F3s?  I think the upgrade bug has bit me... just have to make sure it doesn't break me!  I don't think I am going to get the Icon center I mentioned... seems to be too many better options... like the 2.5 if I keep my KGs.

• Moderators

I can't say, I heard a model similar to a Synergy F3 but it was once years ago. I had some Synergy's but it was probably 15 years ago. 

Sorry

One thing to remember is don't be in a rush, you never know when something will pop up, try to wait to get whatever will fit you best. It can cost alot to try a bunch of different things that never really get you where you want to be. Just be ready to buy when what you need or want pops up, sometimes things sell fast. I ended up with better speakers than I intended at first, you never know.

I bought some Synergy's at first added on a bigger room and they didn't do as well, so it took me a few years and I ran across much better for me and the room. 

7 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

The KG 2.5 is the correct center for those speakers.

@Frzninvt Thank you!  I know they are perfect for the KG line.  Do you know how it would do with the F3?  I haven't decided if I want to keep the F3s or roll with the KGs.  I am going to put some time (resealing) and maybe some upgrades (crites) on the KG 4.5s.  If anything, it will be a fun project.

31 minutes ago, Emile said:

I always "preach" same center as L/R ... so if you can find another (single) 4.5, go for it :D 

I've seen that preached... god bless the folks who have a big enough room to have a full 4.5 as their center. LOL

• Haha 1