Cornwall III - Walnut or Cherry?

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to thank all who had responded to my question earlier on color options for CW III. I’ve just received my set yesterday.

Went for Natural Cherry and lambs wool linen grill cloth. Likely one of the last sets of CW III rolling out of the factory.

A pic it still sitting in the foam packaging. 

6DD04E6D-BD3D-4718-837C-CF5005BB2AED.jpeg

Edited by Sunnysideup
  • Like 3

Your set is very very beautifull 😍

exactly the opposite of mine that are black with black grids too. The grain of the wood is fine and subtle with black, but the rendering is classy. In fact they are all beautiful and beautiful 😎

I saw your Psvane: less so I use it is excellent valves on my Cary.

ucv9.jpg

• Moderators
8 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

The grain of the wood is fine and subtle with black, but the rendering is classy.

I always did like how the grain really shows up on the black, it's way different than the average black you see on speakers. 

I like to do a little woodworking so I tend to go with the normal wood tones but would love to learn how they get the black to come out like that to try on something.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments! :)

1 hour ago, dtel said:

Well how are you liking them ?

Certainly a pleasure to look at. Sound wise, I really don’t know. 

Piano or other string instruments sound good on them, but anything with drums (think Rock genre) don’t sound impactful. One would think the 15” woofers will shake the house, but at low or medium volume, I struggle to hear much bass.

Is this the correct behavior of a new set of CW? How many hours of run in would be appropriate to hear the speakers in full glory?

A bit of details if it matters.

My living room is 13 x 10ft. Speakers are placed on against the long wall, toed in. There is a small sofa between them. The speakers are driven by a 9w SET amp.

Saw another thread on bass cancelling out each other, so I’ll do some experiment over the weekend with one side connected to see if that’s the case.

Any other suggestions are welcomed. :)

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Sunnysideup said:

Saw another thread on bass cancelling out each other, so I’ll do some experiment over the weekend with one side connected to see if that’s the case.

13 hours ago, Sunnysideup said:

Piano or other string instruments sound good on them, but anything with drums (think Rock genre) don’t sound impactful. One would think the 15” woofers will shake the house, but at low or medium volume, I struggle to hear much bass.

Definitely something wrong, not the experience I have at all with a Cornwall lll, and I am sure if anything the bass is improved with the 4 version. Your right try experimenting with position, I had good bass with them 10' from each corner in a 24' wide room so you should have bass unless it is canceling itself out or possibly out of phase ? I know nothing about a 9 W SET amp so I can't comment on that, but a normal 9 W amp would still have bass , so I don't know.

Good luck

One other thing but not so much about bass..........I do not really believe in break in except the first few hours, just my opinion. But I have to tell you our experience, we set them up like I said away from the corner and played them everyday and loved the sound, a few weeks later I thought they had somehow was sounding better, like within a day after weeks of playing I was thinking they were even better but didn't say anything to my wife thinking it was just me getting used to the new sound. That evening my wife asked me what did I do, I asked why and she said it is sound better. I laughed and asked what do you mean, she tried to explain and I told her I did not do anything but thought the same thing. I never changed anything at all and we both heard it, break in,  I have no idea but something happened, we were happy at first but it got better.

This was the first time that had ever happened for us but we both heard it, I have no idea what happened, it's the only reason I said anything.

What Dtel is saying in the above post is exactly what happen to me.  I didn't really believe in break in, but my Cornwalls did sound better after they had some time on them.  I did not keep track of the amount of time.  My best guess would be around 20 hours.    

I am a bit of a bass head and felt the same as you when I first started using my Cornwalls.  Something I noticed with these speakers is they are true to the source material.  Some recordings hit pretty hard and others do not.  If I run direct mode though my Node 2i DAC they have much more bottom end generally speaking.   The DAC in my Marantz seems good, but I wanted something to stream Tidal.   One odd thing is that when I run direct mode the volume is lower, but once I increase the volume the overall sound seems better.  

Will any of this info help you?  I have no idea.  The above paragraph is subjective and others may not agree, but it is what made some difference for me.    As far as shaking the house..... I run a pair of subs.    😀  

5 hours is nothing.  Leave the music playing while you're gone for the day(s).  Doesn't have to be loud to get things limbered up, but some of that helps too.  You'll have them run in within a week that way.

It stands to reason that pliant things become more compliant over some time of use; think boots and baseball mitts as two perfect examples.

3 hours ago, glens said:

5 hours is nothing.  Leave the music playing while you're gone for the day(s).  Doesn't have to be loud to get things limbered up, but some of that helps too.  You'll have them run in within a week that way.

It stands to reason that pliant things become more compliant over some time of use; think boots and baseball mitts as two perfect examples.

I don’t trust the amp powered on alone in the house. Will just have to wait it out. 

Meantime, the kids can listen to whatever songs they want. :D 

Edited by Sunnysideup

• Moderators
11 hours ago, mustang_flht said:

Let them break smoothly, it takes a few hours of music for K33E release and then it will be only happiness.

Not exactly how I did it, I just let them rip, I played them as if I stole them, which I did. :lol: In 2006 my name was pulled for the drawing at pilgrimage and I won them, came close to a heart attack, they said it looked like it anyway. 

• Haha 1

• Moderators

Don't know about the good boy part but at least I didn't drop dead, that would surely suck, new speakers I never got to hear. 

I was hoping to win a t shirt, no one had any idea what the prize was until they picked, I would rather win the speakers. :lol: It was quite a shock.

10 hours ago, dtel said:

Don't know about the good boy part but at least I didn't drop dead, that would surely suck, new speakers I never got to hear. 

I was hoping to win a t shirt, no one had any idea what the prize was until they picked, I would rather win the speakers. :lol: It was quite a shock.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer couple (maybe, but I haven't met a nicer couple yet... )