Banana plugs?

diegodad

I just bought a pair of RB-61 II speakers. The manual says that connection can be made using banana plugs. However, I don't see any hole in the posts for banana plugs, so I'm confused. Can banana plugs be used on these speakers, or is the manual in error?

59 minutes ago, diegodad said:

I just bought a pair of RB-61 II speakers. The manual says that connection can be made using banana plugs. However, I don't see any hole in the posts for banana plugs, so I'm confused. Can banana plugs be used on these speakers, or is the manual in error?

Welcome to the forum.  Normally you can pop the red and black caps out of the terminals and the bananas can be inserted in the now open hole.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Welcome to the forum.  Normally you can pop the red and black caps out of the terminals and the bananas can be inserted in the now open hole.

OK...I have a question...having never used banana plugs, are they plugs made FROM bananas?...or are they plugs made to shove INTO banana holes to keep them "banana-tight"?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

OK...I have a question...having never used banana plugs, are they plugs made FROM bananas?...or are they plugs made to shove INTO banana holes to keep them "banana-tight"?

They are literally made from bananas.  High priced ones are made from plantains.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Just remember, bare wire is always the best connection.  Banana plugs, spades, etc are simply a convenience if you have to unplug your speakers a lot.

I would beg to disagree. Bare wire is a great way to short the output of your amplifier, a banana plug is a convenient good quality connect which is much safer than bare stranded wire. If you want a connector with greater current capacity then look to a spade connection.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

=== jammed up and jelly tight okay - never heard of 🍌 tight — 

11 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

They are literally made from bananas.  High priced ones are made from plantains.

=== if anyone would know this ^^^^^^. But then he’s weird that way - you know, waay out there — 👽

15 minutes ago, moray james said:

I would beg to disagree. Bare wire is a great way to short the output of your amplifier, a banana plug is a convenient good quality connect which is much safer than bare stranded wire. If you want a connector with greater current capacity then look to a spade connection.

I would beg to disagree with you, lol.  I don't see how that putting another connection and component in line is better.  Bare wire when installed correctly should have less resistance than bare wire plus a banana.  If you're worried about stray wires, just tin the ends.  Bananas aren't without issues either.  They can lose tension and become loose as well as the mechanical connection to the wire becoming loose.  All that being said, I actually use them with speakers that I know that I'll be disconnection frequently.  I also have some speaker jumper wires with bananas that I use for quick set up and tear down or for testing speakers.

16 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Be wary of the big spiders that emerge from the boxes of banana plugs.

Cant' stand all that excitement, my hammer is waiting as the box is opened (3lb spider sledge) Any unbroken items are put into service.

4 hours ago, moray james said:

I'm talking from purely a signal transferring difference.

Beware, some of them (I mean banana plugs) can be of a peculiar dimensions.

I had Cambridge Audio on one of my cables sets and almost ruined a connector on my receiver because the banana was a bit too thick.

Trusted a reputable company and got a lemon. It should go smoothly in and sit tight in the connector.

16 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

They can lose tension and become loose as well as the mechanical connection to the wire becoming loose. 

Subtle spelling lesson there Carl.  I like it.  If only one forum member loses the urge to spell “lose” with two Os, you’ve done a service.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

They can lose tension and become loose as well as the mechanical connection to the wire becoming loose. 

Subtle spelling lesson there Carl.  I like it.  If only one forum member loses the urge to spell “lose” with two Os, you’ve done a service.

Thanks.  I no what you mean.

• Haha 1