Almost died yesterday....

Mighty Favog

Keep an eye out for yourself, that was scary I'm sure.

On the other end of the spectrum, I had a cousin that passed out at work, the cops came by and thought he was drunk. Thankfully they didn't smell any alcohol and called an ambulance. They tested his blood sugar and it was around 1500. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Edgar said:

For me it's on the dominant hand. You don't realize how much you depend upon your dominant thumb until you can't use it any more. Even opening a tube of toothpaste became an ordeal.

I learned to run the computer mouse left-handed, and now that my right hand works again I can't go back.

I had surgeries on both hands over a year ago a month apart so I could have the use of one at a time.  Being a drummer made switching hands for everyday tasks relatively easy, but was still a small challenge.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

He is actually still alive.  Reading some of the posts on this forum, I die a little each day.

=== so we’re prepared, any idea where you are on the countdown - before and after this post —

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

I would be happy getting up to about 145-150 lbs. This 125-130 business just ain't cuttin' it.

First, welcome back.  I'm guessing that puts some clarity on some aspects of your life.

I get the weight thing too....  I dropped from around 165 to 129 in about six months.  My wife bought some jeans....had me try some on....then said "here, try THESE on" and they fit.  Looked damn nice on me....  then I stopped cold in my tracks, turned and said "These are YOURS, aren't they??"

They were.

• Haha 3

I didn't mean to take your health lightly either. Dtel had a story of snacking on dry dogfood whenever he felt hungry. But that's another story...

I'm glad you had someone to help you when you needed it.

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Marvel said:

I didn't mean to take your health lightly either. Dtel had a story of snacking on dry dogfood whenever he felt hungry. But that's another story...

Bruce

It's all right. I know you guys have good hearts. Especially you, Bruce, you've had my back before.

• Haha 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Marvel said:

Bruce

Had a girlfriend once that her dad would eat dog biscuits, didn't run in the family, but she was not the pick of the litter either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's got one on it but I don't think it's big enough (6/20).

What kind of bothers me about it is that there's a bit of manipulation that has to be done first. The contents of the syringe has to be injected into the vile and mixed up. Then drawn back into the syringe and injected into the muscle. I sure hope there's someone around that can do this because in the state I was in, there was no way I could have done it.

I feel your pain brpther. As a fellow diabetic I can relate to wild flucuations in blood glucose. I have been as low as 40 and as high as 300 in the same day.  It's sometimes difficult to get the dosages correct before meals. Tresiba and Novolog can be your friend if wheeled properly. I recently aquires a Freestyle Lybre monitoring system. What a god send. No more pricking my fingers. If you don't have one, you should look into it.

Big D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bigdog, I will check into that system. Thx.

I've been a type I for 23-years and novilin  70/30 I've been taking wasn't working anymore. My GP changed up my whole regiment but failed to tell me how long it would take to see steady results (months instead of days). Doc told me to increase x-units every couple of days for the Lantis and Admelog (Humalog) that I'm now on. Two things happened: she led me to believe that a range of 80-120 was the only thing acceptable where really that was a NON-diabetic but if that range shows up, great. I did that and the two drugs built up in my system and hit me with full force all at once.

THEN she tells me I'm allowed up to 200. The hospital told me that since I'm an "old diabetic" I can tolerate larger swings like this. A newly diagnosed person wouldn't. They would have felt awful about 60. The ER nurse tells me that they treat anyone under 70 as critical.

I will usually hit 60 at some point in the day. I get nausea and feel a little strange. I keep fig bars handy to munch on when this occurs. It could go up 50 points or 100. We've had trouble zeroing in on the proper dosage when I'm about to eat. I've known about my diabetes for only a few years and has been a difficult road to travel. my tresiba dosage is 150 units daily and novolog is on a sliding scale depending on the numbers. Truth be told , I could stand to loose a few pounds(well more than a few).

Big D

• Like 2

• Moderators

I helped my mother with her shots every day and it would go up and down as you two are saying. They gave her something to try instead of the normal shot. It looked like a pen with a dial on it to turn to adjust but after she started using it she was pretty much steady after that.

I am sorry I don't remember what it was, it looked similar to a fat ink pen and you would turn part of it to set on the correct number. It had a much smaller needle.  You stick the needle in and push the end and it would inject.

We still tested to see where she was at but the dose was the same everyday and she had much more steady numbers. 

Everyone is different but that one really worked on her. 

Both my parents were diabetics, it's really surprising I have not had problems with it yet at 61.

• Like 2