Tubes for Heritage speakers

Jvitti1970

Lots of information is needed- room size, room furnishings, listening level, types of music, distance from speakers when listening, placement of speakers, and other factors.  There is no best tube or amplifier type.  About the only thing which can be recommended logically is the amount of power you may need.  That will help determine some tube types which may be suitable.  Beyond that, you’ll need to try some amps in your system to find what is most pleasing to your ears.

Maynard

• Like 1

There's no best... only flavors.

Everyone's expectations and hearing is different even though there are consensus opinions.

A 'set' and a 'push/pull' are probably on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tube fanatic said:

Lots of information is needed- room size, room furnishings, listening level, types of music, distance from speakers when listening, placement of speakers, and other factors.  There is no best tube or amplifier type.  About the only thing which can be recommended logically is the amount of power you may need.  That will help determine some tube types which may be suitable.  Beyond that, you’ll need to try some amps in your system to find what is most pleasing to your ears.

Maynard

Listen to this....

• 2 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 7:53 PM, Jvitti1970 said:

Looking to take plunge into a tube amp

what are the best output tubes for Heritage speakers.?Mine are LaScala 

Do some due diligence and check out Dennis Had's Inspire amplifiers. They can use many different out put tubes so you can decide for yourself which tube your ears prefer. 

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&ei=fvpXXYDzHcaL5wLYhpOYDA&q=dennis+had+inspire+amplifier+&oq=dennis+had+inspire+amplifier+&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39j0i22i30l6.6921.6921..7441...0.2..0.72.72.1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71._HJqzdYPSgY&ved=0ahUKEwiAqvKP-4nkAhXGxVkKHVjDBMMQ4dUDCAo&uact=5

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2019 at 7:53 PM, Jvitti1970 said:

Looking to take plunge into a tube amp

what are the best output tubes for Heritage speakers.?Mine are LaScala 

Which sonic qualities in your speakers do you like, and which might you like to compensate for?  When I have listened to Klipsch speakers, I considered that I would want amplification with a low fatigue factor.  The previous suggestion to look at Dennis Had's Inspire single-ended amplifiers is a good one - he founded Cary Audio.  Nice stuff.  Quicksilver Mid-Monos are excellent, too.

EL84 or EL34 push-pull tube amps are good choices, I think.  Consider also the new reissues of the original Dynaco circuits offered by dynakitparts.com   You don't need to build them from a kit, though.  You can get them fully assembled.  With speakers as efficient as Klipsch, the dynakitparts.com Stereo 35 could have all the power you'd need.  I find the original Dynaco circuits to be non-fatiguing while otherwise sounding great.  I am not, however, advocating for restoring an amplifier that was made fifty or sixty years ago, not unless you are a skilled technician and very familiar with Dynaco.  I am talking about the original Dynaco circuit topology that is available today as brand new reissues. 

No business affiliation, just an observant audiophile.

• Like 1

Best I ever heard LaScalas was on a Decware SE 84.  Gave me goosebumps.  My buddy bought the LaScalas and I was so impressed I couldn't leave without the amp.  I don't really use very often as I prefer other amps on my Khorns (ive got quite a few- beware they're addictive), so if you are interested PM me and maybe we can work something out.   Be advised it is only around 2wpc though.  You'd be amazed what your speakers can do with that amount of power though.

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2019 at 1:30 PM, MechEngVic said:

If you want midrange crunch and rolled off highs, I would suggest an EL-34 powered amp. If you want flat and bright, KT-XX powered amps. Many amps will let you use either EL-34's or KT-77-88-66-120... If cost is no object you will never go wrong with the Mcintosh mc275

Having heard an A/B with a Mac275 and a Bob Latino ST-120, I recommend the ST-120. I couldn't believe it either but it sounds better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finale Audio -Triode labs excellent amps at reasonable costs made in NA, Toronto, Concident again out of Toronto makes some wonderful amps ( Frankenstein 300b), Deware another respected low power tube manufacturer. then there are the many over seas amps like prima Luna, Line magnetic, AudioNote, AudioNote Kits. ok that's enough.  

300bSET will give 8wpc great sounding tube if the amp has good output transformers. 

I've heard some 45 tube based amps driving my friends La Salas (2wpc) and they sounded wonderful I really like the 45 tube but limited on power but not an issue with La Scala's. 45 tubes are detailed and have great bass for the power, 300B's little more power and there seductive midrange. El34, are great options as well. 

I use a Finale Audio f3008 FX 300b based SET 8wpc on my Heresy 3's with excellent results mind you a little over kill putting a $8000 amp on $2k speakers mind you.