I now have everything I need to repair the Speaker Terminals on one of my Heresy speakers!!

2" long Stainless Steel machine screws
Hex, wing and lock nuts to fit
Flat pan washers also to fit
Hook terminals to fit my speaker wire (14ga)
And Workable LocTite to make SURE they never again come loose again!

First, I'll use JB Weld to fill in the existing speaker terminal holes!
Then I will drill NEW speaker terminal holes through the JB Weld of the old ones.
Then put the 2" SS screws in with a hook terminal in between washers on the INSIDE to OUTSIDE to solder wires to from the Crossover! Secure with by a lock nut and LocTite to secure! Solder wires from Crossover and replace speaker back.
Use washer and wing nut on the OUTSIDE to connect the speaker wire to the speaker!

I used this method on speaker cabinets I built for myself in 1980! Seals the cabinets nicely AND gives a very secure electrical and PHYSICAL connection for the speaker wire to the speaker! Simple, safe and WORKS! Wish I had pic ability but unfortunately my MacinTRASH is NOT Android Compatible! 😞 

John Kuthe...

33 minutes ago, Cinema_head said:

s-l1600.jpg

I use these. Work great 

They do not SOLDER ON! Mechanical pressure only!

I trust SOLDERED electrical connections. They WORK WELL and are adaptable to many applications! These look like "goldened" Ego Strokers, and would not beat a well soldered connection in most applications, I'd wager! And these COST more! Again, EGO STROKERS! NOT superior electrical connections!

John Kuthe...

17 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

2" long Stainless Steel machine screws
Hex, wing and lock nuts to fit
Flat pan washers also to fit
Hook terminals to fit my speaker wire (14ga)
And Workable LocTite to make SURE they never again come loose again!

First, I'll use JB Weld to fill in the existing speaker terminal holes!
Then I will drill NEW speaker terminal holes through the JB Weld of the old ones.
Then put the 2" SS screws in with a hook terminal in between washers on the INSIDE to OUTSIDE to solder wires to from the Crossover! Secure with by a lock nut and LocTite to secure! Solder wires from Crossover and replace speaker back.
Use washer and wing nut on the OUTSIDE to connect the speaker wire to the speaker!

I used this method on speaker cabinets I built for myself in 1980! Seals the cabinets nicely AND gives a very secure electrical and PHYSICAL connection for the speaker wire to the speaker! Simple, safe and WORKS! Wish I had pic ability but unfortunately my MacinTRASH is NOT Android Compatible! 😞 

John Kuthe...

And today is the DAY!!

Got another Cuppa Plus (hot strong Sumatran with a ml or so of CBD Oil and a dash of Hershey's Syrup) and YUM-O! Medicinal! Caffeine Cannabidiol and Cocoa! 

Just waiting for my lawn work tennies to dry! Then, NEW SPEAKER TERMINALS for One 'Old' Heresy!

The other one's look OK for now! But if necessary in it's future... 😉

John Kuthe...

2 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

And today is the DAY!!

Got another Cuppa Plus (hot strong Sumatran with a ml or so of CBD Oil and a dash of Hershey's Syrup) and YUM-O! Medicinal! Caffeine Cannabidiol and Cocoa! 

Just waiting for my lawn work tennies to dry! Then, NEW SPEAKER TERMINALS for One 'Old' Heresy!

The other one's look OK for now! But if necessary in it's future... 😉

John Kuthe...

And FINISHED!!

Drilled two NEW holes about 1/2" outside the existing speaker terminal holes, put 2" 6/32 I think Stainless Steel machine screws in with big pan type washers and a hook terminal ON THE INSIDE, and a pan type washer and lock nut on the outside! Then put Duck Tape over the outside of the old speaker terminal holes, flipped over the speaker backs and filled the INSIDE with JB Weld! 

And that's where it sits now, for 24 hours! 

Oh, the Anticipation!!

John Kuthe...

15 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

And FINISHED!!

Drilled two NEW holes about 1/2" outside the existing speaker terminal holes, put 2" 6/32 I think Stainless Steel machine screws in with big pan type washers and a hook terminal ON THE INSIDE, and a pan type washer and lock nut on the outside! Then put Duck Tape over the outside of the old speaker terminal holes, flipped over the speaker backs and filled the INSIDE with JB Weld! 

And that's where it sits now, for 24 hours! 

Oh, the Anticipation!!

John Kuthe...

And IT WORKED!! JB Weld is hard as a soft rock! :-)

Now I'll need to mark the outside terminals as RED and BLACK (Sharpies on birch!), solder the crossover leads to the inside of the terminals, screw the back back on my Heresy and TEST!

I expect 100% adequate PERFORMANCE!! :-)

John Kuthe...

1 hour ago, JohnKuthe said:

And IT WORKED!! JB Weld is hard as a soft rock! :-)

Now I'll need to mark the outside terminals as RED and BLACK (Sharpies on birch!), solder the crossover leads to the inside of the terminals, screw the back back on my Heresy and TEST!

I expect 100% adequate PERFORMANCE!! :-)

John Kuthe...

Wow!! THAT was easy! :-)

I used 2" pilot drilled cordless drill scrterws to screw the back back on, and now I have to connect up the WIRES! After a bit! :-)

Still on my second Cuppa Plus!! Namaste!!

John Kuthe...

On 5/30/2019 at 9:27 AM, JohnKuthe said:

Wow!! THAT was easy! :-)

I used 2" pilot drilled cordless drill scrterws to screw the back back on, and now I have to connect up the WIRES! After a bit! :-)

Still on my second Cuppa Plus!! Namaste!!

John Kuthe...

And got my Heresies up and plugged in, and ONO!! No Bass from the one I replaced the speaker terminals on! Tweeter/Squawkeraker OK, NO BASS!!!

I stopped, took the back off the offending Heresy and that's where it's lying in my basement, on the carpet! 😞

Troubleshooting 101 again! 😞

John Kuthe...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JohnKuthe said:

And got my Heresies up and plugged in, and ONO!! No Bass from the one I replaced the speaker terminals on! Tweeter/Squawkeraker OK, NO BASS!!!

I stopped, took the back off the offending Heresy and that's where it's lying in my basement, on the carpet! 😞

Troubleshooting 101 again! 😞

John Kuthe...

Any ideas for Speaker Terminal Binding Posts?

I Google them and OMG! SO many to choose from!! Who uses what, and what are some really great Speaker Binding Posts? Suggestions?

Thanks!!

John Kuthe....

2 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

Any ideas for Speaker Terminal Binding Posts?

I Google them and OMG! SO many to choose from!! Who uses what, and what are some really great Speaker Binding Posts? Suggestions?

Thanks!!

John Kuthe....

I GOT some good Speaker Mounting Posts from a local STL store, Gateway Electronics! Even ran onto a fellow former IBMer in there!! Knew about VAX/VMS. TPU, and Groupwise, which I was hired by McDonnell Douglas for my Email Admin experience!

John Kuthe...

"100% adequate"

I love that phrase!

Some dumbazz (not me this time) decided to put nice speaker posts on the Heresy 1's I now own... He put them smack dab in the middle of the  mid driver location so when he went to install the back on the box again he had to turn it upside down for the posts to clear.  DOH!  No matter I guess but I could seal up the holes and move them.  The original terminal strips are still there.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, muel said:

"100% adequate"

I love that phrase!

Some dumbazz (not me this time) decided to put nice speaker posts on the Heresy 1's I now own... He put them smack dab in the middle of the  mid driver location so when he went to install the back on the box again he had to turn it upside down for the posts to clear.  DOH!  No matter I guess but I could seal up the holes and move them.  The original terminal strips are still there.

I ascertained that!! No, these are in a  reasonably hard airtight plastic thing, and I have to cut/drill a 3" hole (hole saw)  in which to insert it's plasticness! From the inside its relatively flush with the cabinet inside surface with solderable metal tabs on the inside and Banana post connection points! Red and black hard hex plastic tighteners tighten down on a thru inserted wire too, so I will probably just strip the 14 gage wire back 1/2", twist and tin it, insert and tighten! Easy peasy! And all for a 3 inch hole saw! On my shopping list for tomorrow!

John Kuthe...

John Kuthe...

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a plot showing reduction in resonance after I added 3/4” MDF to the back of my H1’s

Don’t t get too worked up about the actual frequency response. The transducer I used for measuring the resonance wasn’t calibrated. 

B0D59FC1-EC56-4FB8-AC10-1EB52F480433.jpeg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Invidiosulus said:

Here is a plot showing reduction in resonance after I added 3/4” MDF to the back of my H1’s

Don’t t get too worked up about the actual frequency response. The transducer I used for measuring the resonance wasn’t calibrated. 

B0D59FC1-EC56-4FB8-AC10-1EB52F480433.jpeg

Impressive indeed! Pics of backs?

• Like 1