This EF2 got a little close

Davis

My little town was tore up pretty good.
EF2, 130MPH, 6 miles long and 100 yards wide.
Thanks to all the early warning devices and Madison County EMS all lives were saved.
Only one minor injury.
Returning home in the daylight revealed some 40 foot tall plus trees down very near me from the residual spin off winds.
If you were in the direct path of this one you received major damage. Unfortuatnaley downtown Pendleton was right in the path.
I have a 60 foot cottonwood and several 30 foot white pine trees in my back yard that I keep an eye on in severe weather.
My house has taken a direct hit from a tornado in the past so hopefully we have protective weather karma going for us.

TORNADO PATH.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The weather has been down right crazy lately for the middle of the country, floods and tornadoes. Down here in south Louisiana they have opened the Bonnet Carre Spillway (in Norco) a second time this year (never happened before), and fixing to open the Morganza Spillway this weekend because of persistent flooding and high levels on the Mississippi River.

Seven days ago a town battling flooding got hit by a really bad tornado after dusk. Jefferson City, MO and an EF3 tornado.

https://weather.com/news/news/2019-05-23-jefferson-city-missouri-tornado

Ohio got hit by tornadoes too. Lately one disaster after another. Lot of people hurtin.

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, polizzio said:

The weather has been down right crazy lately for the middle of the country, floods and tornadoes. Down here in south Louisiana they have opened the Bonnet Carre Spillway (in Norco) a second time this year (never happened before), and fixing to open the Morganza Spillway this weekend because of persistent flooding and high levels on the Mississippi River.

I have been reading about that, have been in the spillway many times when it was dry. Could you imagine the snakes and other things that move or wash somewhere else when it's opened?

Our wind season is coming soon, hope not anyway.  I can deal with hurricanes tornados can happen in minutes with no warning. 

12 hours ago, dtel said:

I have been reading about that, have been in the spillway many times when it was dry. Could you imagine the snakes and other things that move or wash somewhere else when it's opened?

Our wind season is coming soon, hope not anyway.  I can deal with hurricanes tornados can happen in minutes with no warning. 

Oh yes, they get quite a wet rush. But the Bonnet Carre opening process is slow methodical. Large wooden pins pulled one at a time in like 300 bays. So the water comes rather slowly. I lived for 35 years 5 miles from BC spillway, great place to boat, fish, 4 wheel, hike, dirt bike, camp, hunt (many years ago). Those two main waterways are from excavating dirt for the levees. I have measured depths of 40-50 feet while fishing there. Also swam and knee boarded there. But I have seen 4-6' alligator gar pulled out of there too. I caught one 5.5' once myself. Along with largemouth bass, speckled trout, and redfish all on the same day. The trout and redfish were small, but there at certain times of the year. Great place to be outdoors, but it became so popular and busy.

1 hour ago, polizzio said:

But I have seen 4-6' alligator gar pulled out of there too. I caught one 5.5' once myself.

You caught an alligator?  :o 

No thanks.  That would freak me out.