KLF-510?

On 5/30/2019 at 11:37 AM, Emile said:

Absolutely AWESOME!  Had planned to build a similar setup, but got lazy and bought some CF-3's.  After seeing yours I regret my decision :( 

(Too late now ... sold my extra set of K-510/691's )

I'm not one of those people who hate to say "I told you so." So, yes, "I told you so." LOL.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yes :(  But just think of the money I saved :)  And ... think the CF-3's are pretty good for this small room :D 

Not only money, but time saved as well.  The sooner ones feet are up with glass in hand, the better.👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

The sooner ones feet are up with glass in hand, the better.👍

And cheers to you :D  (Yes; did not mention I had a knee replacement and really did not feel like building boxes :) )

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Emile said:

And cheers to you :D  (Yes; did not mention I had a knee replacement and really did not feel like building boxes :) )

Oh yeah, lets not forget the expenditure of Energy as well and the wear and tear on the already torn.😀 I trust you are healing nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Yes :(  But just think of the money I saved :)  And ... think the CF-3's are pretty good for this small room :D 

Yes indeed, if you're happy I'm happy, but you did say you had regrets, so I pounced on that. Either way, you got twin woofers, which was the most salient point.

• Like 2

Before beginning I swung by my local Woodcraft to get Kreg pocket hole screws for the build. Of course they had this great workbench with clamps on sale..

Not having completely simulated the response before building, I decided to do initial construction completely with screws. I wanted to be able to disassemble and make modifications if it didn't measure well. Now that I'm really happy with the response I'll disassemble and glue all the joints and then re-screw to make them extra strong.

First I built the two bass bin cabs.

IMG_1394.thumb.jpeg.f913b5e1f63226977d92462165b30958.jpeg

The kreg clamps made it easy to get everything perfectly aligned and square.

IMG_1399.thumb.jpeg.4552ee592e504d45cfd99e4b10190dfc.jpeg

The backs are pocket screwed to the cabinet from the backside for removal. I nailed in a few cleats to hold the back in the proper position when the speaker is resting on it's face.

IMG_1395.thumb.jpeg.28c689ea2e07ea796c9adb29c85ae61e.jpeg

Next up horn cabs..

• Like 5

The horn cabs interior are 15x9.5" which fits the K510 snugly inside the frame. I had thought of making a single cabinet, but the K691 magnets are huge and a single cab would have been quite heavy.

IMG_0635.thumb.jpeg.74a7a71a01d88d3e388acb3038171caf.jpeg

I finish nailed in some maple 1x2 blocks for flush mounting the K510s into the frame.

IMG_1403.thumb.jpeg.c7b873453fbbf2dda6f5f38f91d0f639.jpeg

Horn test fit into enclosure..

IMG_1402.thumb.jpeg.b280cb06298d8a9c8716217a3d123d26.jpeg

K691s off the horn to remove the bundled stand mounts.

IMG_1401.thumb.jpeg.550c36288c0b2ad045d4c5e69b4860cc.jpeg

Drivers mounted into the open rear enclosure.

IMG_1404.thumb.jpeg.09297994159159a50a61575d53f156e7.jpeg

Then sand down some supports for the drivers..

IMG_1413_2.jpg.97c1061d2866ba7c50053e009fd74498.jpg

• Like 3

Cutting baffles..

I used a circle cutting jig with a router to cut two holes in four baffle boards. Each motorboard is a sandwich of 2 3/4 boards. The inset depth for the KappaLites was almost exactly 3/4", so I cut the two front baffle boards to the exterior diameter of the woofers, and the back baffle boards to the smaller interior driver clearance diameter.

IMG_1405.thumb.jpeg.451950f96327b93aebc2c076191e05c9.jpeg

KappaLites mounted to the front of the motor board. Motorboard is inset 3/4" to look like a heritage cabinet.

IMG_1407.thumb.jpeg.19fa8444ff7a92b5b61577f9d40cb02f.jpeg

Back view of motorboards which are attached with a ridiculous amount of pocket screws. I will also add some bracing when I glue up the cabs. I built these over Memorial Day weekend and I had the choice of building braces and not finishing the speakers or skipping the braces and seeing how they sound.  Guess which one I chose?

IMG_1413.thumb.jpeg.65d13e4f1f314cfd16a021646f2d0324.jpeg

Just waiting for backs and wiring..

IMG_1410.thumb.jpeg.fdde2361e976c97448ccfa2afc8e9122.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You do great work! Build threads are my favorite!

Just a suggestion, but while you have everything opened up, a little cross bracing in the cabinet may be a good idea. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Either way, they look great and I am sure they sound just as good.

Keep posting those pics!

edit: went back and read the entire thread from the beginning. You have some experts involved in this build. If they say you don't need to brace, they would know better than I do. Mine is sort of a "belt and suspenders" approach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MookieStl said:

You do great work! Build threads are my favorite!

Just a suggestion, but while you have everything opened up, a little cross bracing in the cabinet may be a good idea. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Either way, they look great and I am sure they sound just as good.

Keep posting those pics!

edit: went back and read the entire thread from the beginning. You have some experts involved in this build. If they say you don't need to brace, they would know better than I do. Mine is sort of a "belt and suspenders" approach.

Thanks, I’m really happy how they turned out.

I’m planning to add one crossbrace before I do final glue up before painting. Right now they are only screwed together so I could disassemble after measurements in case I needed to make changes. But they measure so good I didn’t see any need to make changes so I’ll be finishing them up in their current configuration. Probably wait until my parents leave as I’ve taken up enough of his vacation out here with the build to date..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

I’m impressed 🤜🤛. So the 691 is that the b&c de-75 (top of the 904)?  

Yeah I purchased a new 904-HF bundle, which includes the K510, a stand and the 691 branded b&c. I’m happy with the sound of the 691 and don’t see a need to upgrade any time soon. That being said, if I happened into a source for TADs I’d probably jump on it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MenloBob said:

Yeah I purchased a new 904-HF bundle, which includes the K510, a stand and the 691 branded b&c. I’m happy with the sound of the 691 and don’t see a need to upgrade any time soon. That being said, if I happened into a source for TADs I’d probably jump on it.

Strange on my 904s it had the b&c sticker on the back of the driver. But on yours it’s says Klipsch 691. 

Not a big deal just has me curious why they brand them on yours. I guess they could have changed them over the last 5-6years (about how long when I bought 904s new) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cinema_head said:

Strange on my 904s it had the b&c sticker on the back of the driver. But on yours it’s says Klipsch 691. 

They are the same driver. Just a re-badge by Klipsch ... some may argue better quality control by Klipsch :D No clue when they started doing this ... my 904's also have the B&C label :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

How old are your 904s?

One year :D  Haha; actually got them a year ago ... no clue how old they really are ... but they do have the B&C 75 (corrected) drivers ... and old style (no mumps) horns :) 

3 hours ago, Emile said:

One year :D  Haha; actually got them a year ago ... no clue how old they really are ... but they do have the B&C 65 (?) drivers ... and old style (no mumps) horns :) 

The ones with mumps that I had. Had the b&c de-75 not the 65. Not sure what difference they are

• Like 1