Reference vs. Reference Premier

mwilk34

1 hour ago, glens said:

Aren't they basically the same but for vinyl versus veneer & maybe trim?  (And perhaps internal bracing?)

I don't think so.  One is from the RP line and the other from the "Reference"(Best Buy) line.  Also not comparable models either.  The RP has dual 4" woofers while the R has a single 6.5" woofer.

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-4000F Angled view with magnetic grille removedvs Klipsch Reference R-610F Front

Bill

I cannot answer your question directly. But I will share something with you which may help in your decision. I purchased a pair of Klipsch RF-42s about 8 years back. My idea was to use a powerful subwoofer (a Rythmik F-15) with the rf-42s for low bass reproduction, for music and home theater (movies/dvds). While the 42s were nice (twin 4.5" woofers), they lacked upper and mid bass presence and authority. Like a bass drum kick or bass guitar rhythm,  and it depends on your room size. Mine at the time was large. I replaced the RF-42s in short order. My experiment didn't work and I learned from it going forward.

If you want full range sound authority or if your room is not really small, no way would I limit myself to a pair of 4.5" bass transducers per speaker. Especially if you like solid bass reproduction, and/or play your music at a higher volume. Minimum for floorstanding "reference" loudspeaker is a pair of 6" woofer transducers, 8" even better.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I have not heard either model, but you are not the only one who is confused about the Klipsch naming conventions.

In general the R series is entry level, RP or Reference Premier is mid-tier and RF is the flagship Reference series.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, willland said:
5 hours ago, glens said:

Aren't they basically the same but for vinyl versus veneer & maybe trim?  (And perhaps internal bracing?)

I don't think so.  One is from the RP line and the other from the "Reference"(Best Buy) line.  Also not comparable models either.  The RP has dual 4" woofers while the R has a single 6.5" woofer.

Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-4000F Angled view with magnetic grille removedvs Klipsch Reference R-610F Front

Bill

I was thinking more generally, not the two he mentioned specifically.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:33 PM, mwilk34 said:

Could someone tell me the difference between the Reference and Reference Premier series?  I mean beyond the specs, like what is the sound difference.

Not answering well, I merely went general - based on very limited understanding.

See the screenshot.  6 lb. difference.  Might be the weight of the magnets, might be cabinet bracing, etc.  As far as sound quality difference, likely some would hear it, some wouldn't?

Screenshot_20190531-083439.png

On 5/31/2019 at 8:45 AM, glens said:

Not answering well, I merely went general - based on very limited understanding.

See the screenshot.  6 lb. difference.  Might be the weight of the magnets, might be cabinet bracing, etc.  As far as sound quality difference, likely some would hear it, some wouldn't?

Better top end due in part to the better horn and tweeter in the RP series.  Also better construction from what I have seen. 

I believe the woofers are better in the RP line which all translates to a smoother cleaner sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Best buy actually carries both and can get heritage models. I work partime at a best buy Magnolia for a couple years now. Talking to a klipsch rep at work, the RP line has a silicone damped horn, much better bracing, titanium tweeter, and they use the copper cerametallic woofers instead of IMG woofers. I've never heard them, but have heard good things. I've sold them and have had nothing but good feedback from customers. RP is deff the way to go (or higher haha) I wouldn't even look at the reference line. I would think its safe to say that you will get better clarity, midrange and stronger bottom end with the RP line.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2019 at 3:45 PM, glens said:

I'd love to hear your opinion about those 2 specific models, the 820F's and the 8000F.. They're almost double priced.. Is it worth it?