Cornscala's crossover options..

jmczaja

I've got my split Cornscala's complete enough that i've been listening to them for a few weeks before i finish them. The bass bin is built to Cornwall II specs (internal volume) and braced well. I'm using the Crites 1526C woofer. The midrange is a Fastlane Eliptrac 400 w/ a BC DE750TN driver and tweeter is an Eliptrac HF w/ BC DE120 driver. My current crossover network is Al K's AP12-500 w/ the ES5800. Overall, I think they sound great BUT only after i reach about 95db from my listening position. I value what's left of my hearing so my listening tends to be more in the 75 - 85db range with the occasional 'crank it up' days. My dilemma is that at my typical listening volumes the crossover's sound a bit uninspiring and perhaps a bit bright overall. I can never seem to get the balance of the drivers correct at my listening volumes. I seem to have the biggest problem balancing the mids and tweeters. At loud volumes the drivers seem to blend much better and actually sound fantastic. I've tried running them as 2-ways but i always miss the extended highs and they tend to sound more boxy in this configuration. Any suggestions? I put an order in for a pair of Al's Universal CSW crossovers to see if the more gentle slope does the trick.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:51 PM, jmczaja said:

Overall, I think they sound great BUT only after i reach about 95db from my listening position. I value what's left of my hearing so my listening tends to be more in the 75 - 85db range with the occasional 'crank it up' days.

How are you measuring this, can you do a sweep in REW to see what is going on ?

I like to set the midrange level on the ALK crossover for a flat response via REW measurement as a starting point and then adjust via listening.

• Thanks 1

I’ve measured with a sound meter and also with sweeps in REW. I personally do not enjoy listening when adjusted for a flat response as it’s WAYYY too bright sounding to my ears. I personally prefer a gradual downward slope into the high frequencies. I only use the REW measurements to find and correct ringing, room modes, nulls, peaks, etc with room treatments. I’ve done all my crossover adjustments to what sounds pleasing to my ears. I always return to a specific setting regardless of REW measurements, so that says a lot (at least to me). The crossovers  can sound absolutely AMAZING but unfortunately at levels that I don’t indulge in often. Like I said in the first post, it takes at least 95 dB to get things cooking!

Edited by jmczaja

Fair enough.

I'll be interested to read how the Universal CSW crossovers sound in comparison.

When I replaced the ALK Universals with ES networks in my K-Horns the imaging and clarity improved immensely (similar to having my ears flushed). I used REW as a guide to get the mid and high flat and then set my NAD C725BEE bass at 2 o'clock " to what sounds pleasing to my ears ".

My listening SPL is similar yours.

Hi

I have the Crites woofer and the DE120 but a different mid and lens. I designed and tried many different filters (Butterworth, L-R, Bessel) and used my ears as the main judge. I settled with something very simple (1st order with woofer @ 500) and 2nd order for mid cross but then extended the mid out to its natural roll off (8,000) and then employed 2nd order for tweet. I ended up getting the detail I wanted as well as a 'sweeter' top end. I used an autoformer to ensure the mid was 'balanced'

I got lucky

all the best

• Like 1

• 1 year later...