Cornwall 'B3' – how best to approach aging crossovers; recommendations?

Endo

Thank you, all, for the thoughtful responses. Yesterday, I ordered Audiocap PPT Thetas (at Deang's suggestion). I'll be replacing the 2uF and 5uf, leaving the large (Aerovox?) caps in place (these large caps each measured 67.2uF, and I've read they're spec'd at 68uF ? – not sure I have that right, but I think so... ).

This forum is a great resource – Thanks again, to all the good natured folks willing to share their experience.

I intend to follow-up, once the results are in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the new 2uF and 5uF AudioCap PPT Thetas are in, the boards look like this:crossover-B3-june-18-19.thumb.jpg.b4ecd683115c823ef03b45ea70c8d1b0.jpg

I've been listening to them for three days: First, comparing one channel w/updates against the other without (my amp lets me play either channel through both L and R). Then, with both boards updated, I compared the CWs against the Belles (done simply to satisfy my curiosity as to their differences).

At this point, I feel pretty confident in saying @geoff. was on-target about my particular situation.

Thanks, again to all who helped me navigate through this.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I just bought my first pair of klipsch cornwall I with crossover b3 and k43e, after listening to a friend of mine from Fortè I. I was very disappointed with the low frequencies, practically non-existent.  Could it be the fault of the old crossovers?

Edited by Vincent.90

On 8/12/2021 at 2:25 PM, Vincent.90 said:

Hi everyone, I just bought my first pair of klipsch cornwall I with crossover b3 and k43e, after listening to a friend of mine from Fortè I. I was very disappointed with the low frequencies, practically non-existent.  Could it be the fault of the old crossovers?

You can restore the B-3 with klipsch Factory Capacitors from https://jemperformanceaudio.com/  ,

--however the main issue may not only be the crossover , but the woofer in your speakers -

the Cornwall 1  Should have a K-33 not a k-43 , the k-43 is designed for use in speakers like the Lascala Industrial , and it requires more wattage , hence the lower bass

6 hours ago, RandyH said:

Puoi ripristinare il B-3 con i condensatori di fabbrica klipsch da https://jemperformanceaudio.com/ ,

--tuttavia il problema principale potrebbe non essere solo il crossover , ma il woofer nei tuoi altoparlanti -

il Cornwall 1 dovrebbe avere un K-33 non un k-43, il k-43 è progettato per l'uso in altoparlanti come il Lascala Industrial, e richiede più wattaggio, quindi i bassi più bassi

My Cornwall is an 84 pro series and mounts k77 -k57 - k43e with b3 crossover.  But does not changing the capacitors affect only the mid-high?

6 hours ago, Vincent.90 said:

My Cornwall is an 84 pro series and mounts k77 -k57 - k43e with b3 crossover.  But does not changing the capacitors affect only the mid-high?

There is no such thing as a Cornwall 1  pro series 1984  k-77-k-57--B3 Crossover  in the USA market --------do you have pictures  of the speakers ---

A   Cornwall 1 1984 should have a  K-33 woofer  , the k-43 is not the correct woofer for this speaker ---the k-43  does not produce as much bass as a k-33 , but it does have more mid-bass ,  so it is normal that you are complaining of a lack of bass at lower wattage -this has nothing to do with your crossover -

Non esiste un Cornwall 1 Pro 1984 - k-77-k-57--B3 Crossover nel mercato USA -

Un Cornwall 1 1984 dovrebbe avere un woofer K-33, il k-43 non è il woofer corretto per questo diffusore --- il k-43 non produce tanti bassi quanto un k-33, ma ha più medi bassi , quindi è normale che ti lamenti di una mancanza di bassi a wattaggio inferiore -questo non ha nulla a che fare con il tuo crossover -
per favore puoi inviare alcune foto?

On 17/8/2021 at 18:30, RandyH said:

Non esiste un crossover Cornwall 1 pro serie 1984 k-77-k-57--B3 Crossover nel mercato USA -------- avete foto degli altoparlanti ---

Un Cornwall 1 1984 dovrebbe avere un woofer K-33, il k-43 non è il woofer corretto per questo diffusore --- il k-43 non produce tanti bassi quanto un k-33, ma ha più medi bassi , quindi è normale che ti lamenti di una mancanza di bassi a wattaggio inferiore -questo non ha nulla a che fare con il tuo crossover -

Non esiste un Cornwall 1 Pro 1984 - k-77-k-57--B3 Crossover nel mercato USA -

Screenshot_20210530-231357_Subito.jpg

Screenshot_20210530-231405_Subito.jpg

56 minutes ago, Vincent.90 said:

I knew that the k43s kept more power than the k33s, I didn't expect less bass.

the K43 was not designed for this speaker so it is normal that the result is not adequate - you would need to buy the K-33  -

plus there are normally openings in the front motorboard , if you take off the grilles , you should see the openings , these spaces lead to a compartment under the woofer , they should not be blocked to properly vent the speaker