Would like your opinion on a CL buy Heresy II...

11 minutes ago, Oicu812 said:

They are possibly what has been referred to as the Heresy 1.5's.  Some changes from the original model 1's driver and crossover wise, I think.  They were still sold as model 2's with the original plywood, or they had changed the innards and were still in transition from the ply to MDF.

I believe the 1.5's still used the metal k-700 horn but with a k-52 mid driver more like the original Heresy with removable rear panel than the H-II but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

If you look at the pictures, the speakers appear to be finished in nice ash or something (first two pictures).  Look at the serial, they are unfinished.  Look at the damaged areas, they are unfinished and plywood.  Something is not right unless I am crazy (which I can confess I am).

• Haha 1

Confusing? The tags read "BR"  for birch, raw... but, the veneer looks to be the cabinet grade stuff with mitered corners. Would these have been a special order? The lighter finish is also unusual for the species (what I mean is, it hasn't yellowed/darkened like you'd expect with a 30+ year old birch – oil or laquer).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Endo said:

Confusing? The tags read "BR"  for birch, raw... but, the veneer looks to be the cabinet grade stuff with mitered corners. Would these have been a special order? The lighter finish is also unusual for the species.

But look at the damaged areas.  I don't see any veneer.  These don't appear to be the same speakers.

• Like 1

Its a little confusing. What I meant to suggest, was that the plywood used for the cabinets has been mitered at the corners – unlike the butt-joint more typical of "BR" cabinets made from the "multi-ply" stuff. You never see walnut, oak, etc... with butt joints. The 'Birch, Raw' was often (usually?) multi-ply with butt joints.

I've got some Cornwalls that are not "BR" but rather "CBLS" . Just thought something similar might be going on here, despite the label reading "BR".

birch-raw-2.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Endo said:

The lighter finish is also unusual for the species

Quoting myself, -->narcissistic?

Anyway, this photo shows what I'm talking about: The back of the speaker uses the same birch veneer as the remaining cabinet--however, it shows the more typical "yellowing" of the birch finish... that's what I was trying to describe... Also, if you look at the damage to the corner, you can see evidence suggesting that some kind of white-wash type finish was applied after the damage occurred: The finish residue can be seen in the crannies and crevices where it collected and was not wiped off... also along the back top edge, same. The birch has been re-finished at some point. It looks good (in the photos, at least).

birch-raw-corner.jpg

• Like 1

This is where I might be confused. These two examples both have HBR written on the back label. Both Heresy. Both Birch, Raw. But, different ply cores, edge treatments and different joinery. "Same" speaker.

hbr.gif

• Like 1

H II-BR  The ones in the first two pictures look pretty good and finished.   Last two pictures look like someone took sand paper to plywood and or scratched them up.  Either way, priced way unless pristine, which they are not.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 3:06 PM, Endo said:

This is where I might be confused. These two examples both have HBR written on the back label. Both Heresy. Both Birch, Raw. But, different ply cores, edge treatments and different joinery. "Same" speaker.

hbr.gif

For whatever its worth, the speaker on the right (above) actually has a version 1 label on the back with cabinets of birch plywood (in addition to my pair, and those in the OP, these are a good example of speakers that that cannot possibly exist, as Klipsch never made them); see below...

I hate to think my being confused might be a source of error for someone else...

This is a Heresy from 1985, with a version 1 (HBR) label––this would be late for a v.1, right?–– and, time-wise, its close to the date on the OP set...

Here's the listing: http://www.nesovski.com/page_Heresy.htm

heresy-v1-birch-raw.jpg

[Oh, yeah... one other thing. No way in God's green earth those are ash. ]

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Endo said:

For whatever its worth, the speaker on the right (above) actually has a version 1 label on the back; see below...

I hate to think my being confused might be a source of error for someone else...

This is a Heresy from 1985, with a version 1 (HBR) label––this would be late for a v.1, right?–– and, time-wise, its close to the date on the OP set...

Here's the listing: http://www.nesovski.com/page_Heresy.htm

[Oh, yeah... one other thing. No way in God's green earth those are ash. ]

I specified Ash as a light color veneer.  Who know what that is other than the fact that it looks different than the sanded, chipped last two pictures.  H-II though by the label.

1.5's had the k77 tweeter but were changing over on the mids.

• Like 1

He's a druggie Coast Rat; going to Require thorough inspection, & test play, to remove doubts of water &/or Hurricane damage.

Remember Hurricane Katrina?

Turned Grass Lawn, c. 1840, who had survived Yankees, countless other storms, & Camille, into tooth picks.

The screens look very nice – but photos can hide some things. I may be alone, but I think they look okay. If the rest checks out, and if he comes down a little in price – I'd be tempted. Seems to me that Heresys (sp. Heresies?) are bringing a little more now than they were just a couple years ago. I've been looking for a while now, and that's my impression. Agreed, six is high, but by how much?. (no signs of high water--maybe these were up off the floor?)

• Like 1

This is THE SINGLE MOST CONFUSING THREAD on any kind of Heresy that  I have ever seen on this forum, and I have pretty much seen them all!!  Hell I BUIILT Heresys for seven years and I am still confused with this tangled mess of erroneous inventions of  nomenclatures dog-fighting each other for dominance of the Heresy pack!!  This is totally filled with different sub-categories; sub-sub categories and now I am waiting on the sub-sub-sub categories to enter the picture.  The worst thing about all these sub-type categories is that they DO NOT EVEN EXIST...they are inventions of FORUM MEMBERS!  GEEZ!!  And almost everybody involved in this thread is scrambling the eggs even more!

BIRCH HERESY LESSSON !:

a. First you had HDBR for Heresy Decorator(style) Birch, Raw (no stain or finish)  THE CABINET CONSTRUCTION WAS PLYWOOD WITH OVERLAPPING BUTT JOINTS, an extremely strong box design

b. then THE BUILD STYLE CHANGED FOR THE DROP-IN FRONTS, AND SO DID THE NOMENCLATURE:  HBR=Heresy Birch Raw(no finish or stain applied) Same components inside as were in last HDBRs

c. then,  the HBR's went thru a transition period...with the components being mounted to the face of the motor-board, but the rear panel was still screwed-on, and the box build remained lap joints....for a time.  (YOU DON"T WASTE PARTS WHICH HAVE ALREADY BEEN CUT!!)

d. then, because they wanted to standardize the build for ALL the Heresys, they transitioned to basically the same thing used on the finely-veneered ones, for materials and construction using mitered joints.  This was about (BUT NOT EXACTLY!!) the same time as the Heresy II made its appearance with its new name.  This was also partly due to the drop in birch Heresy sales! The core of panels was MDF now.  Rear panels were stapled from inside....just like on Heresy II's...so it was STILL an HBR, but now it was a mitered box made of MDF core having birch veneer on its outside.  s fewer and fewer people ordered birch speakers, the HBR went to the category of "special-order item".

So what is the REAL iSSUE and what do you HAVE TO KNOW??  And why is everybody, including me, being confused to death?  Here is a hint...transitions ALMOST NEVER HAPPENED ALL AT ONCE, and they ALSO DIDN'T BEGIN AT THE START OF A CALENDAR YEAR!  REMEMBER THAT!  So, it is very likely that a PAIR of some kind of speaker MIGHT WELL Have been pulled out of inventory at a dealer, in the boxes, with consecutive serial numbers, but have two completely different builds EVEN THOUGH the speaker nomenclature was the same on both boxes!...and on the speaker labels!

The isse of SAME or DIFFERENT labels...basically as above:  Here is the deal...if the labels were hand written there is NO GUARANTEE that the nomenclature used is even correct!!  Also, there was never a particular time that one label started and another ended, except when the labels became computer-generated!  Here is why:  more than one person in final assembly was labelling them...whatever the person had in their stack of labels is what went on the speakers they were labelling!  This is b3ecause there was seldom a given date for label change-over...and if one person had more of the old labels to use up than another one had, they wouild just keep using them until they were out of them, THEN get some new ones!  Some got the new ones before others got theirs because of that.  WASTE WAS FROWNED UPON!

I totally understand the frustration this produces for forum members with severe OCD issues!  Just take an extra med and deal with it!  Eventually you may realize that resistance is futile!  You cannot control things which have already happened!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1