WTB: Jensen 13uf Copper Foil PIO capacitors

KegmanKipp

No, I haven’t considered any others really besides the fancier copper Jensen versions.

About 12 years ago when designing and building an all tube phono stage, linestage, and monoblocks amps the copper Jensen’s sounded the best overall of many caps tried at that time. When playing original 50’s and 60’s Jazz Lps the Jensens sounded the most like the un-amplified small group jazz bands I recorded every Sunday. Especially with regards to textures, tonal colors and micro-dynamics.

I've been out of the game for a long time and figured I’d go with what I know for a LaScala rebuild.

3 hours ago, KegmanKipp said:

No, I haven’t considered any others really besides the fancier copper Jensen versions.

About 12 years ago when designing and building an all tube phono stage, linestage, and monoblocks amps the copper Jensen’s sounded the best overall of many caps tried at that time. When playing original 50’s and 60’s Jazz Lps the Jensens sounded the most like the un-amplified small group jazz bands I recorded every Sunday. Especially with regards to textures, tonal colors and micro-dynamics.

I've been out of the game for a long time and figured I’d go with what I know for a LaScala rebuild.

I'd never run across these, so I did some googling.  Dear lord above, they want $421 for each 12uf Jensen cap.  Is there such a difference that it would be worth spending nearly a grand for two speakers' worth of capacitors?

16 hours ago, KegmanKipp said:

Jupiter

Klipschorn/La Scala/Belle AA

28701610226_2901dbdca1_k.jpg

Not copper foil, but they do make them

10 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

It would be great if Kegman tried the Jupiters and gave us a review compared to the Jensens.

I listened to them in my linestage as the output coupling cap about 12 years ago. Totally different type of circuit application at 350VDC than in a speaker at well below a 100z. So my observations are limited at best.

As I recall the Jupiter’s sounded very nice and smooth but overly smooth. On the classic Ella & Louis LP, Ella’s voice should be buttery smooth at the same time Louis is gritty and raspy. It’s very hard to get both to sound correct.

i sure wish I had bought some big Jensen Coppers 12 years ago! 

All of the Jupiters use bees wax and paper in conjunction with either Al or Cu. I tried the copper versions in my tweeter sections and couldn't hear any difference.

PIO in Klipsch speakers sound very nice, but I don't think you have to spring for the copper versions.

Arizona Blue also sound great.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 1:01 PM, Deang said:

All of the Jupiters use bees wax and paper in conjunction with either Al or Cu. I tried the copper versions in my tweeter sections and couldn't hear any difference.

PIO in Klipsch speakers sound very nice, but I don't think you have to spring for the copper versions.

Arizona Blue also sound great.  

Thanks Dean. I’m guessing your observations were with an AA crossover? If so, what 13uf cap/s did you try?

I believe Dean built me an AA network using the Jensen PIO's for my center La Scala the main cap was almost as big as a beer can.  I found them too laid back for my liking and had him build another one with Auricap Theta's instead which I preferred.  The network was stunning to look at though, he has a photo on his Facebook page somewhere.  I also had him build a Type B pair for my 1962 Cornwall pair with Jensen PIO's they sounded great and I sold them with the networks.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:11 PM, KegmanKipp said:

Looking for a nice pair of Jensen 12uf or 13uf Copper Foil Paper-In-Oil capacitors for a fair price.

Please let me know what you have.

many thanks,

Kegman

These are excellent and affordable. You may want to research them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-uF-600V-Military-Russian-Paper-In-Oil-PIO-Vintage-Audio-Capacitor-KBG-K-K/253777898791?hash=item3b16576d27:g:EygAAOSw5UdbWbuF

How well would these sound ? Has anyone used them ? The selling as them in different voltage, sound I order the higher voltage ones for my H1’s

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals

Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!