What's Going On With Speaker Wire?

Peter P.

16 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Good article and I use heavier wire simply because it is cheap enough to buy and stronger to resist damage in my shop environment. Plus one size fits all in this case and sometimes I have bigger demand speakers than most.

I use 12 on everything because as you said, unless you get sucked into the abyss, it's cheap enough and IMO, is easier to work with and fits the connectors I use much better, but I have no illusions regarding its superiority, or lack there of.  I'm a live and let live person and nobody is going to tell me what I'm hearing or not hearing and I'm not going to do that to anyone either.  So how are you liking the Super MWM's?  What are the chances of trucking those to Hope next year?:D

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pete H said:

So how are you liking the Super MWM's?  What are the chances of trucking those to Hope next year?

I am really liking these and figure it was well worth the effort. Still yet to get together with Claude on final dial in but have fiddled with them and have them sounding really good without using REW. Taking them to Hope is a remote chance at best. Figure on it not happening.

I have had some people over during the process of dialing them in and the expressions on their faces is pretty amusing. Hope they come back to hear them when the full potential is realized.

1 minute ago, Dave A said:

Yeah and honestly I was kind of discouraged from doing so so I won't ask again.

I am anticipating that next year will be very different with regards to folks bringing gear for demo, so I wouldn't be discouraged at all.    In years past, we have never asked permission of anyone as to whether we could bring gear, so that really shouldn't be a consideration.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, windashine said:

… o O (Rodney may have a bridge next year, without a weight limit sign)

Big thing is being out of any rain that may stop in. And a lock on the volume knob so people don't fiddle while you are away.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

$1450 for 3 feet? Ludicrous! ROFL!!

Just goes to show, some have more money than sense.

John Kuthe...

13 hours ago, Dave A said:

Nah it's a bragging society. Bet when you go over to one of these guys places you get an unsolicited run down of what things cost.

It is BOTH of the above, but mostly a bragging society, IMO.  I have a friend who does, in fact, tell us the price of everything new he has, right down to his signed Steinway grand piano!  He reminds me of a character in Paul Goodman's surreal novel, The Empire City, in which Eliphaz has put price tags on his children -- literally.  The tags dangle from their wrists.  But, just in case it is largely a lack of sense, think of what would happen if we were to put someone who is very rich, with a great deal of gold trim in one of his several domiciles, but is a bit dim, in charge of an important entity ...

11 hours ago, Coytee said:

If you've never had a nano-steam bath then you don't know what your missing.

Sorry, but someone had to say it.

:unsure2:

In nano-steam, the water molecules are very, very small. :rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, garyrc said:

It is BOTH of the above, but mostly a bragging society, IMO.  I have a friend who does, in fact, tell us the price of everything new he has, right down to his signed Steinway grand piano!  He reminds me of a character in Paul Goodman's surreal novel, The Empire City, in which Eliphaz has put price tags on his children -- literally.  The tags dangle from their wrists.  But, just in case it is largely a lack of sense, think of what would happen if we were to put someone who is very rich, with a great deal of gold trim in one of his several domiciles, but is a bit dim, in charge of an important entity ...

A great place to show your latest Goodwill buys off at. The problem would be would he get the point or just feel sorry for you?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dave A said:

A great place to show your latest Goodwill buys off at. The problem would be would he get the point or just feel sorry for you?

The latter.

18 hours ago, JohnKuthe said:

ROFL!

HOW small? Remember, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle! We can know the velocity OR position of an electron, but NOT BOTH SIMULTANEOUSLY!

John Kuthe...

Yes, but ever since reading Hawking and Mlodinow's The Grand Design, I'm Uncertain when to apply Heisenberg.  The authors say certain manipulations (e.g., of renormalization) are mathematically dubious, but lead to predictions that agree very closely with observations.  That, and the idea that a particle can be two different places at one time, tend to bend my mind, model driven reality, or not.  Some things, as PWK once said, are "imponderable."

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 5:55 AM, Pete H said:

I use 12 on everything because as you said, unless you get sucked into the abyss, it's cheap enough and IMO, is easier to work with and fits the connectors I use much better, but I have no illusions regarding its superiority, or lack there of.  I'm a live and let live person and nobody is going to tell me what I'm hearing or not hearing and I'm not going to do that to anyone either. 

Live and let live is the best way to act.  After all, it’s only speaker wire, nothing to get excited or preachy over.

12 gauge is fine for most speaker applications, fits nearly all connectors, and if it’s fine-strand copper, it should be flexible and easy to cut and to bend.  You can go bigger for a little better performance, but I wouldn’t go any smaller than 12 gauge.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, garyrc said:

The latter.

Yes, but ever since reading Hawking and Mlodinow's The Grand Design, I'm Uncertain when to apply Heisenberg.  The authors say certain manipulations (e.g., of renormalization) are mathematically dubious, but lead to predictions that agree very closely with observations.  That, and the idea that a particle can be two different places at one time, tend to bend my mind, model driven reality, or not.  Some things, as PWK once said, are "imponderable."

Didn't Mr. Bose get around that particle thing?

JJK

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2019 at 6:47 PM, Islander said:

Live and let live is the best way to act.  After all, it’s only speaker wire, nothing to get excited or preachy over.

12 gauge is fine for most speaker applications, fits nearly all connectors, and if it’s fine-strand copper, it should be flexible and easy to cut and to bend.  You can go bigger for a little better performance, but I wouldn’t go any smaller than 12 gauge.

12GA is what I use to my La Scalas from my McIntosh MC2105 Solid State amp.

John Kuthe...