Epic CF3 port tube

dkals

8 minutes ago, dkals said:

Would a longer port tube from parts express that is 4.375" in length compared to the 2.5" original tube make any difference in sound on a CF3?

Yes, some ... not sure if you could hear a difference ... but think we have to start at the beginning. Which version CF-3's do you have?  If you have the preferred V1 with the 2.5" ports, why would you change it to V2 (5 0r 5.5 inch port; also requires a resistor change on the xover). Just curious :D 

The original v1 CF-3 had a dual port tubes 4" wide by 5.5 inches long.  Yes it would make a difference in sound but I'm not sure how much.  With a longer port tube and a small XO change you could retrofit your v2 into a v1.  The v3 had the 2.5" long port tubes, different values in the XO and lighter woofers than v1 and v2.

This is from my CF-4 v1, the port tube measured at 5.5 inches:

post-58280-0-78360000-1396668014_thumb.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

The original v1 CF-3 had a dual port tubes 4" wide by 5.5 inches long. 

OK; I was confused ... thanks for clarifying this :D Just got my CF-3's V2 and have not "opened" them yet :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Emile said:

Just got my CF-3's V2 and have not "opened" them yet :) 

That port tube length in the different versions can be confusing.

If you want to hear the difference for yourself just roll up some cardboard (like a flexible poster board) thgat's 5.5" long and put it into the port.  See what you think. 

• Thanks 1

Emile

I had a great time the other day

I would not change a thing on your new CF speakers, I think they have some of the best bass and mid/high range for a speaker that size. Not that they are small in any way shape or form. But your Klipsch 904’s are unreal in the way they produce sound.

I hope to have these JBL subs hooked up soon

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals

Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dkals said:

I must have v3 since the tubes are 2.5 inches long.  I'll have to research this some more to figure out what would need to be done to the xo's.  Thanks for the help.

Both the v2 and V3 have the 2.5" ports.  Do you have a serial number? 

On my v3's, I just added the port length using cardboard tube from a carpet store. It had the same inside diameter as the plastic port and they just slipped right on by taking bottom woofer out.  Easy and sounded great. All I did for crossover networks was rework them to a version 2 which drops one resistor and changes something else I forgot.  

• Like 1